Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third test: England v India at Southampton, Jul 27-31

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It's the bowling which concerns me currently. When Broad and Jimmy are on form, we're OK. But Jimmy won't be around for that much longer and Broad seems to have constant injury 'concerns'. The backup bowling appears weak, unless Finn gets back to a decent level. Bresnan, Tremlett, Rankin, Onions are all around the 30 mark. Jordan doesn't look like he's ready/good enough. Lets hope there's a couple of gems knocking around who will break through soon.

Finn seems to have reverted to his old style and is taking wickets.

Overton at Somerset seems to be a talent as well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well we'll see, but he rips it harder than the Indian "spinners" and is working very hard on his game. I think he will do well in time.
Of course I hope you're right.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Although the series is level at 1-1 with two to play England have looked the better side, we've outscored them on centuries and have three bowlers in good form. India are stuck with their touring squad whereas England are free to pick fresh bowlers for the 4th and 5th tests.

I'd be surprised if Woakes, Stokes or Jordan starts in the next match, I fancy Plunkett will come back if fit, while because of the failure of Woakes and Jordan there's an argument for bringing back Finn, especially as he seems to be on an upward curve again. If Anderson gets a ban then England will need a bit of experience, so Finn's resurgence could be timely.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yes, his figures look OK. I'm not putting him down, I just don't feel he has demonstrated yet that he is a great spinner (which is primarily his function). I hope he does keep producing the goods, as the other options seem poor ATM.

In the this team perhaps, but he is not (yet) recognised as a full time front line spinner in the first class game which makes his achievements all the more impressive. I always though Vaughan and Peterson had more test overs in them and were underused.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd only change it if Jimmy gets a ban.

Pointless putting bowlers in for 1 test, then dropping them again. Woakes bowled well, Jordan is the type of player who needs a bit of time I think.

We're messing about too much with all these bowlers. If you win a test match, unless the surface changes dramatically, don't change the team other than for injury or suspension.

If Jimmy is banned, then give Plunkett another go. Too early for Finn, he's just completed effectively a rehabilitation of his action, let him see out the summer without the pressure of performing in a test match. He can always be checked out in the West Indies next Spring.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The stat I'd be most interested to see is that of incorrect umpire decisions either giving out when it wasn't, or not-out when it was.

Don't get me wrong, my motive is not to show the umpires up for their errors, its to see if there are winners and losers by not having DRS available.

One for the Sky back-room team perhaps ......

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Quite a lot of people bat left and bowl right (including my Dad and one of my brothers... but not at Test level!).

Richard Hadlee
Ashley Giles
Chris Gayle
Ravi Shastri
Clive Lloyd
David Gower

etc... etc...

This is an interesting topic of conversation for coaches.

If we assume that a player has a dominant hand [not pure ambidextrous] this will be the hand he bowls with. When batting, the top hand is the control hand and the bottom hand is the power.

So, for dominant right hand players, batting left-handed puts the dominant hand on top, which, in theory, is the best thing to do. I would love to know how they first started to bat and whether there was a switch at some point in their junior careers.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Although the series is level at 1-1 with two to play England have looked the better side, we've outscored them on centuries and have three bowlers in good form. India are stuck with their touring squad whereas England are free to pick fresh bowlers for the 4th and 5th tests.

I'd be surprised if Woakes, Stokes or Jordan starts in the next match, I fancy Plunkett will come back if fit, while because of the failure of Woakes and Jordan there's an argument for bringing back Finn, especially as he seems to be on an upward curve again. If Anderson gets a ban then England will need a bit of experience, so Finn's resurgence could be timely.

I actually though Woakes bowled well and was unlucky in this test, I'd give him another runout and bring Plunkett back for Jordan on what is likely to be a lively surface at OT.

Finn comes into the picture for me if Anderson is suspended but I'm not sure they'd look to play Finn and Plunkett, which perhaps leaves the door open for Jordan or even Onions if they want a more pitch up up swing the ball man.

Anderson will be a huge loss - I'd go as far to say that losing him could be the difference between winning and losing the series. Fingers crossed.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I actually though Woakes bowled well and was unlucky in this test, I'd give him another runout and bring Plunkett back for Jordan on what is likely to be a lively surface at OT.

Finn comes into the picture for me if Anderson is suspended but I'm not sure they'd look to play Finn and Plunkett, which perhaps leaves the door open for Jordan or even Onions if they want a more pitch up up swing the ball man.

Anderson will be a huge loss - I'd go as far to say that losing him could be the difference between winning and losing the series. Fingers crossed.

I think Jimmy is done for or the ICC wouldn't have progressed it this far without concrete evidence, only variable is his length of ban.

More interestingly from your post - what has happened to Onions? Always around the squad up to the Oz tour last year which he probably should have gone on. He's a fantastic bowler but haven't heard him mentioned at all this summer with England in mind.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I agree that Anderson could be a huge loss which is why I like Finn and Plunkett in for Jordan and Woakes at Old Trafford. Unlike the latter two it's unlikely Finn and Plunkett will return joint figures of 0-160-odd - the chances are that least one of them will make a decent contribution, and both will get plenty of cricket before the final 5th Test at The Oval on what is a traditionally fast, bouncy surface.

Arguably, Broad, Anderson, Plunkett and Finn could be our best pace quartet option at the moment, and they should be good enough to bowl England to victory in this series.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
If Jimmy gets banned, wouldn't he be likely to appeal, meaning further delay in any punishment ?

IF Jimmy gets banned? The ICC is run by India and is almost as corrupt as FIFA. Expect to see Jadeja's appeal successful, with Jimmy banned and not able to even appeal.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Buttler one dismissal away from equalling test record for most on debut.

the record was and still is 8 and he needed 2 more to equal the record. Sky had the top 4 up this morning but I am still suffering from days 3 and 4 at the Ageas Bowl and instantly forgot it. i think Chris Read got 8 on debut. Knott got 7. Someone else was up there as well.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think Jimmy is done for or the ICC wouldn't have progressed it this far without concrete evidence, only variable is his length of ban.

More interestingly from your post - what has happened to Onions? Always around the squad up to the Oz tour last year which he probably should have gone on. He's a fantastic bowler but haven't heard him mentioned at all this summer with England in mind.

Especially bearing in mind Onions was a mainstay under Moores mk.1 wasn't he?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I agree that Anderson could be a huge loss which is why I like Finn and Plunkett in for Jordan and Woakes at Old Trafford. Unlike the latter two it's unlikely Finn and Plunkett will return joint figures of 0-160-odd - the chances are that least one of them will make a decent contribution, and both will get plenty of cricket before the final 5th Test at The Oval on what is a traditionally fast, bouncy surface.

Arguably, Broad, Anderson, Plunkett and Finn could be our best pace quartet option at the moment, and they should be good enough to bowl England to victory in this series.

I would think the selectors would get a bit nervous about Broad, Finn and Plunkett being a bit too similar. However, that might be just what they are going for at Old Trafford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here