Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third test: England v India at Southampton, Jul 27-31

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
That was a great win. Let's hope we can follow it up and win the series. It would be a great foundation to build on with the Ashes in mind next year.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Man of the match - Captain Cook for me. Scored runs and did everything right as captain.

I agree. He did have a decent game as captain and scored runs. Bell, Ballance, Anderson and Mooen all have cases as well.

However, as anyone that has ever played a decent level of cricket knows, it's a helluva lot easier to be a dynamic, forward thinking captain when you put 570 on the board in the first innings. We now need to go on and win this series.

I still have my doubts about him long term but I'm really pleased for him. If nothing else, he does seem an immensely likeable sort (perhaps that's the problem..)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I agree. He did have a decent game as captain and scored runs. Bell, Ballance, Anderson and Mooen all have cases as well.

However, as anyone that has ever played a decent level of cricket knows, it's a helluva lot easier to be a dynamic, forward thinking captain when you put 570 on the board in the first innings. We now need to go on and win this series.

I still have my doubts about him long term but I'm really pleased for him. If nothing else, he does seem an immensely likeable sort (perhaps that's the problem..)

All true, but it shows the character of the man. First time for nearly 3 years he has scored 50 in both innings of a test match. All of the senior players stood up in this game, which had been sorely lacking. This should do them and him a world of good.

We will win the next 2 now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great stuff. 6 wickets for a "part time" spinner - I think he could become a gem.

England win by 266 runs.

Man of the match - Captain Cook for me. Scored runs and did everything right as captain.

Jimmy Anderson for me. This match has a draw all over it if not for his bowling.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I think Cook is obviously going to be in charge for the rest of the series and this game has given him some breathing space. If we end up losing the series he'll undoubtedly come under the spotlight again, but if we go and win and especially if we play like we have in this test then he'll have earnt the right to see if he can build on it.

larus

After this test it looks like Matt's international career could be over. Butler did a good job behind the stumps (will only improve there too), and definitely has the edge over Matt now in the batting department.

I think on the batting front, things are looking positive. Root, Ballance, Bell, Cook are doing well (or at least have the ability). Robson I think will come good. Still to be convinced by Ali, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

It's the bowling which concerns me currently. When Broad and Jimmy are on form, we're OK. But Jimmy won't be around for that much longer and Broad seems to have constant injury 'concerns'. The backup bowling appears weak, unless Finn gets back to a decent level. Bresnan, Tremlett, Rankin, Onions are all around the 30 mark. Jordan doesn't look like he's ready/good enough. Lets hope there's a couple of gems knocking around who will break through soon.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting choice for MoM. A bowler who didn't take the most wickets in the game. But it WAS a great performance from Jimmy Anderson - spearheading the attack!

It's not always the number of wickets, he was threatening throughout. To only concede 2 runs an over, bowl 26 overs in that first innings, taking 5 for 53 is worthy of MoM in many a match to be honest.

Moeen unlucky not to get it with his performance, as perhaps are Ballance and Bell, but Jimmy was a cut everyone else in this match.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think on the batting front, things are looking positive. Root, Ballance, Bell, Cook are doing well (or at least have the ability). Robson I think will come good. Still to be convinced by Ali, but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

That's generous of you, given he's just taken 8 wickets in a test match! :lolol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bit soft some of them, especially the two in the first innings. Suspect it won't happen quite so easily again. Fair play to the fella though, did his job brilliantly.

He's played 5 test matches, has a century, scored 259 runs, has a 5 for, and taken 18 wickets….I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt for now can't we. :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Superb stuff from England, just what we needed and some really positive, encouraging signs for the future.

larus

He's played 5 test matches, has a century, scored 259 runs, has a 5 for, and taken 18 wickets….I think we can give him the benefit of the doubt for now can't we. :thumbsup:

Yes, his figures look OK. I'm not putting him down, I just don't feel he has demonstrated yet that he is a great spinner (which is primarily his function). I hope he does keep producing the goods, as the other options seem poor ATM.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's the bowling which concerns me currently. When Broad and Jimmy are on form, we're OK. But Jimmy won't be around for that much longer and Broad seems to have constant injury 'concerns'. The backup bowling appears weak, unless Finn gets back to a decent level. Bresnan, Tremlett, Rankin, Onions are all around the 30 mark. Jordan doesn't look like he's ready/good enough. Lets hope there's a couple of gems knocking around who will break through soon.

Woakes looks pretty good - he was unlucky in this Test. Jordan, I agree, does not look up to it at the moment. Botham was saying that Finn appears to getting back to near his best. They should give Onions a go but Tremlett amazes me - how someone that tall and strong can bowl so slowly! Am not convinced about Plunkett either, but he is OK. Jimmy will be a huge loss if he gets banned tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here