Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Third test: England v India at Southampton, Jul 27-31

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can't see anything other than India cruising through to lunch without any wickets falling.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Early wicket for Jimmy Anderson... Sharma edges it through to Buttler

Is the end of 353 days of hurt in sight??

112-5

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can't see anything other than India cruising through to lunch without any wickets falling.

LOLz. Nice work with the reverse psychology :thumbsup:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Brilliant commentary on TMS. Talking about what you shouldn't feed dogs, chocolate, blue cheese and coffee, Tufnell replies ,"What's the point to a dogs life if they can't eat that"

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Clearly hotspot is not a definitive tool, but works to help decisions being made in the overall package of DRS (if in use of course).

The Indians have always maintained DRS undermines umpires, but if anything this series has show that NOT having DRS undermines umpires as their decisions effect results.

I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of analysis of whether umpires make less initial errors in decisions with DRS than without. In theory, the errors should be the same with or without, but I suspect with the comfort of DRS behind them, they actually make less errors from the outset.

The Indians don't trust hawk eye, but that system is protected by the umpire's decision carrying the deciding weight. There has to be a large margin, within accuracy parameters to overturn a decision. LBW has 3 factors, where the ball has pitched, where it hits the batsmen, and would it have hit the stumps. Hawkeye simply tracks the first two, the third, as it has always been whether by human judgement or computer simulation is a prediction. The argument over the accuracy of Hawkeye is justflawed given the trajectory of the ball is hypothetical whatever system.

The umpiring decisions in this game could have been decisive. They could have cost Ballance his international career, or one team the game, a captain his job etc. With DRS the umpires would not be responsible for this. The Indians have to realise DRS has actually given umpires more confidence and proved them to be right on the majority of occasions.

All sports have realised that catering to a huge TV market, no one wants to see the outcome decided on a decision when they can view high resolution slow motion replays. It's time to tell ICB enough is enough and they have to adopt the system.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
120-6

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Dhoni GONE! Another great ball from Anderson, and catch for Buttler... 120-6

It's all going jolly well for England this morning. :)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The argument over the accuracy of Hawkeye is justflawed given the trajectory of the ball is hypothetical whatever system.

That is exactly the point I can't understand about the Indian position, it's hypothetical either way at least with the technology you can eliminate balls that pitch outside leg or hit outside the line. The benefit of the doubt has been built into DRS anyway. It really confuses me why they don't want to use it.

I'm of the opinion that DRS has been brilliant for the game - do you remember when spinners basically couldn't get an LBW on the front foot to the turning ball? It produced turgid cricket at times with batsmen hiding their bats behind the front pad and umpires not brave enough to give them out for not offering a stroke. Biazzarely given India's recent history of producing high class spinners (Kumble, Harbajan) it would have likely played out int their favour.

The position I've reached is though I'm fully supportive of DRS, it either needs to be adopted wholesale by all test nations or not at all. Anything else isn't fair on players, umpires and punters alike.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great start for England, Jimmy now has 7 in the match. Before the Indians batted in their 1st innings it was flagged up here how it was crucial that Jimmy needed to make a major contribution and he has delivered.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Great start for England, Jimmy now has 7 in the match. Before the Indians batted in their 1st innings it was flagged up here how it was crucial that Jimmy needed to make a major contribution and he has delivered.

Just in time for his 5 test ban!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here