Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking the unthinkable

huge

Mar 23, 2011
On December 31st, we were in 16th place, some FIFTEEN points behind leaders Southampton. Speaking to a couple of chums at the time, the concensus was that it was time to look down rather than wonder about play-offs and beyond.

Fast forward six weeks later and we've beaten a team contending for the Champions League, taken 4 wins and a draw from our last 5 league games, are back up to nearly a full compliment of players and even made three shrewd additions to the squad in Vokes, Reyes and Mattock.

Anyone now thinking we haven't got a chance of the play-offs is being a bit silly IMO, as we are now just two points outside them. But what about beyond that? Given the strength in depth we now have, is automatic promotion a possibility? Southampton in 2nd are only 7 points in front now. Win at Leeds and home to Millwall and surely we can dare to dream...

Next 5-7 games will tell. No point getting a hard-on just yet. We want to be still talking about this when we play Blackpool or derby. Also 2 teams above us have games in hand. Looking at our run out we need to beat Middlesbrough, reading, west ham plus Birmingham and Watford are scaring me for some reason..?!

Let's just see what happens. A dip in form, 3 unlucky results, half the squad getting banged up or a few injuries or so we'll loose pace with the group.

Never say never though

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I'm just taking one game at a time. To be honest, automatic promotion isn't a priority this year. Play-offs definitely is, but I would be happy where we are now and above the Scum. I don't think we're ready for the Premiershite yet, so couple of more seasons will do me just like Swansea did.

Flex Your Head

The last month has been great, but I think results have been better than performances (except for Peterborough). We could easily not be defeated for another six games, but just as easily not win any of them given our history this season to date.

However, Reyes, Mattocks and a fit Vicente are effectively three new Prem standard signings. If CMS rediscovers his shooting boots it could be very giddy indeed by mid March.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking.
We urgently need to start scoring more goals, and with a full strength squad and our new additions, there's no reason why we shouldn't.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
birmingham at 9-1 corals to win the league,blackpool 22-1,great prices if westham slip up.
the mighty brighton are 12th favourites, 199-1 betfair or 208-1 vi bet daq.
advice? worth me putting £10 on west ham at evens ,£7 on brum and £1 on blackpool

24 hours later brum are now 8-1 and blackpool 20-1

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
No chance of top two IMHO buy play off spot is on and cup final is if
we get very lucky!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We've been good at beating the bottom teams and pretty shite against the top - 1 win out of 6 at home and 1 out of 5 away against the other 10 promotion challengers. Our recent run is bristol, peterboro and leicester, all mid-table. Still its a good time to playing leeds, without a manager, and 4 of the 6 after that are millwall, doncaster, ipswich and portsmouth, 3 of them at home. These are all must-wins if we are to make the play-offs, but if we do win them we will be in a good position with a lot of momentum for the tough run-in that follows. Dare i say it, rather like norwich did last year. Our last 3 look very winnable if we're still in contention.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Tthe squad looks very strong.

And that's not even allowing for teh Premiership midfielder, Gus is signing this week.

Your first comment is something I think many Albion fans are forgetting. On Saturday when the Leicester squad was announced my eldest las said "wow that's a good squad" and then I pointed out that ours was missing LuaLua, Noone & Reyes.

When fully fit, our squad is now one of the strongest on paper in the league with players who are capable of playing in that famous league directly above ours.

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Just read the whole thread...and Wow! Lots of optimism,slight negativity and more permutations than it would take to win the lottery,exciting yes....but just calm down (dear) ,relax and enjoy the ride....Destiny awaits...(yes I know,he rode again if you remember the movies.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here