Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking the unthinkable

Aug 23, 2011
Only a prediction mate. You don't have to agree with me. Most dont :D

I know and mine was only a prediction on birmingham too and i'm generally wrong too but i think them being out of the limelight has helped them. I thought at the start of the season when they lost a lot of good players that they might struggle but with Hughton they have a good manager who knows how to get promoted and play football.

I would love to finish 5th in this league but then i'd be more than happy with top half this season

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I still go back to the discipline issue. Unfortunately, our reputation precedes us. Refs know it, savvy opposition players know it too.

Every time Gus sees one of our players get a yellow he'll be worried that another challenge could result in a red. That then affects his substitutions and tactics.
I don't think discipline comes into it.

The main factor for me, is keeping everyone fit.

Vincente is the key.

Keep him and those around him fit, we'll be seriously pushing for 2nd spot come April.

What has set us back was our unbeleivealbe bad run of injuries. Apart from the Burnley games, our form mainly seems to dip when the squad is thin on players. Now that seems to have passed, we can cope with disclipine.

Sparrows out. JFC comes in. Simple. Our bench is f***ing strong at the moment.

We have Noone, Reyes, Harley, Vincealot and LuaLua among others, not in the squd, Toby looking the real deal, and Gus is hopeful of getting a loan midfielder and striker from the premiership.

I'd say things are looking very rosey at the moment.

We may not be gaining places in teh league, but we ar the form team along with Birmingham, and the point gap is shrinking all the time.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We'd need to finish with 80+points to get automatic promotion, which, I think, is probably too much for us. The play offs however is another matter entirely. The most the team in 6th place has finished on in the last ten years is 75 points. To get that total we'd need to get another thirty points-9wins, 3 draws and 5 defeats. That doesn't sound out of the bounds of possibility.

If we can keep the bulk of the squad fit and in form and if we can stop our disciplinary issues then we should go pretty damn close.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's heartening to be getting these results without actually playing the best football - I'd venture to say that since the turn of the year, despite being 5-3-0 and some good performances, we haven't really hit top gear...

It's weird but, I reckon this squad has MORE to show us - and for that reason there is every reason to dare to dream of a playoff spot. Good times.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
If we keep our players fit for this last push we will make the playoffs. I honestly believe we can beat any team in this division, as none look like they are a class above.

lfc

Sep 2, 2011
The Championship is such a tight league that one good run of 3 wins puts you right in the thick of the playoffs, 3 losses in a row and you are right down there in the doldrums....its all about going on a good run at the right time, and also about maintaining a bit of consistency and trying to avoid a bad run. I think you'll be there or thereabouts by the end if you avoid a terrible run, which you are good enough to do...

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I love this thread. Positivity, that's what it's all about.

And I want to believe, I do believe, Hallelujah!!!! I'm a believer!

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009
We were the better team on Saturday, against a side who I would imagine will be in the top 6 in terms of form for the remainder of the season (that said a major decision, Beckford's red card went very much in our favour). 2 key factors will be a cup run, which would stretch the squad and take the focus off the big league games, and the fitness of vicente, the man is better than what the most organised of defences at this level with cope with. With Vicente it is possible we could win 7 of our last 8 home games, without him I can see us not beating 2 of Birmingham, Cardiff and Reading. That 21 points at home would leave us with 3 away wins (or a combination of results equating to 9 points) to get to 75 points. Forest, Doncaster Burnley and Barnsley look the most winnable options (easiest first). 7-9 points on top that seems very steep to me. This would be compounded by portsmouth going bust (given being unsustainably indented is a way of life down there they will probably avoid this) but it would cost us 3 points, which would disadvantage us in relation some of our rivals.

The run in is hard, if we go out of the cup and the dagger stays fit we then we are good enough and strong enough to get around 2 points a game in a best case scenario, enough to more than qualify for the play offs but short of 2nd place.

There is a lot that could go wrong; Vicente's fitness or should I say "availabillty", a serious Injury to Buckley, Greer or Bridcutt, or just loss of form or luck in 2 or 3 games. I would say that we have a 40% chance of making the play offs and for the sake of argument 1 in 4 chance of winning it from there, i.e a 10% chance of promotion through that route. The chances of us getting 2 points a game or better and it being enough for 2nd (80 points is a bare minimum for automatic) is negligible no better than 50/1 imho giving us 11/12% of promotion. The fact most bookies have us at 12's and Stan James have us at 16's is generous.

Am I hopeful, yes, expectant no...

Last edited:

Wonbrow

Aug 17, 2011
Of course we will go up, believe:

'The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that our aim is too low and we reach it.'

.......and we will also win the FA Cup!! :)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
One thing I think is certain. There will a thread on here which is the exact opposite of this one the next time we lose a couple on the the trot. Then they'll be one like this again when we get back to winning ways.

greenfordgull

Feb 2, 2009
Of course we will go up, believe:

'The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that our aim is too low and we reach it.'

.......and we will also win the FA Cup!! :)

Don't get me wong, I think this season is has been brilliant, I started following the side in the 86/87 season, and there is only 1 season in the past 25 that has been close in terms of achievement. I am loving every minute, I drive back up the A23 occasionally thumping the steering wheel with excitement at the prospect of this side getting into the premier league, I am hopeful, but cold hard logic suggests that I am getting carried away, when I do so.

That doesn't mean I like cold hard logic more than getting carried away!!!!!!!!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Can I just add that if we finish the season like we finish home matches at The Amex, we could be in for one hell of a ride...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here