Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "Think about the smokers"

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’d guess that you’re in the minority, all of the smokers at my work would be more productive if they moved their desks to the smoking shelter. Every 30 minutes, maximum, and all seemingly completely oblivious to the horrendous smell that they’re clouded in.
Whilst it’s still a free country and I don’t begrudge anyone’s vices, I can’t help thinking in this case your management is at fault if they keep letting it happen.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Masks don't particularly work very well if the wearer has a beard.
Wearing a mask for a few hours (total) each day:
"When under great pressure, masks can cause a great deal of irritation, infection, and, in extreme cases, the development of ulcers, like decubitus ulcers on the skin. Long-wear use also means inviting sweat underneath and around the mask, which can cause a bacterial or fungal infection.

As someone who's previously had to wear a ffp3 mask for periods throughout my work days I can tell you that once you have these skin issues it can be a real pita to get rid of them. I never could when I was having to wear them, think a constant crappy scaly weepy itchy type of acne moustache.
Even now 4 months after last wearing one I still get flare ups. I have to wash the area with Nizoral medicated shampoo and afterwards apply hydrocortisone cream for 3 days to kill it off.
That's not even to mention inhaling parts of the inner lining of sub standard masks that have started to degrade due to the moisture in your breath.

Yes it'll protect you but you'll soon get pissed off having to wear one. I'm dreading having to wear one again.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I guess smokers (like me) will deal with it the same way people who piss deal with wearing trousers, just move the article out of the way and find a discreet spot to do it in when the need arises.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I’d guess that you’re in the minority, all of the smokers at my work would be more productive if they moved their desks to the smoking shelter. Every 30 minutes, maximum, and all seemingly completely oblivious to the horrendous smell that they’re clouded in.

Have long believed that either smokers should be docked pay for bunking off work for a smoke break every 30 minutes or that drinkers should be given equal rights. In my working days, would have quite fancied bunking off for a can of Stella every half hour.

Also, smokers bunking off tend to unfairly (over non-smoking colleagues) bond with all the bigger bosses equally enjoying the smoke break. All smoking mates together. Whether consciously or unconsciously, smooths the route to the next promotion eh?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
From a non smoker....

What a load of boxxocks on here. Every 30 mins my arse. If your employer allows that, then get out quick as your company is going bust VERY soon.

Where I work the smokers grab a fag at teabreaks and lunchtime, that is three or four per day. I get the same breaks but eat lunch or drink tea instead. Doesn’t stop me fancying a smoke now and again mind.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Quality spot.

In times of madness, a copy of Private Eye and a large glass of red wine (massive spliff will serve as a substitute for the alcohol intolerant) are the mainstays of sensible tittering which, sensible tittering, we can all agree, is part of our five a day (the other four being a massive dump, a grated carott, a coronavirus update, and a J Arthur).

:lolol: :rolleyes::lolol:

I tend to find I can kill two birds with one stone if Priti is giving the update. Having said that I'm currently watching Gove and I can feel a slight stirring...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
From a non smoker....

What a load of boxxocks on here. Every 30 mins my arse. If your employer allows that, then get out quick as your company is going bust VERY soon.

Where I work the smokers grab a fag at teabreaks and lunchtime, that is three or four per day. I get the same breaks but eat lunch or drink tea instead. Doesn’t stop me fancying a smoke now and again mind.

Top marks for a sweeping generalisation there. Is it possible that you don’t know the structure of every business, therefore you don’t actually know what autonomy some staff enjoy? Obviously you know better than I do as I only work there, but I can assure you, having only been there for 6 years, the business isn’t going bust, and there’s a certain band of employees who are free to come and go pretty much whenever they please, and they do, 9 times out of 10 with their department manager.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Top marks for a sweeping generalisation there. Is it possible that you don’t know the structure of every business, therefore you don’t actually know what autonomy some staff enjoy? Obviously you know better than I do as I only work there, but I can assure you, having only been there for 6 years, the business isn’t going bust, and there’s a certain band of employees who are free to come and go pretty much whenever they please, and they do, 9 times out of 10 with their department manager.

Exactly.

And its not like everyone everywhere is using 100% of their work hours to work either. If I have a quick smoke every hour and then work efficiently for the rest I'm still more likely to get more done than the life tired health freak whose job is seemingly to scroll Facebook & rant about lazy foreigners every five minutes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The DSE assessments at my work place encourage regular breaks, it's bad for your health to spend 8 hours staring at a computer screen, and that's recognised with the aforementioned regular breaks. For some it's a trip to the kitchen for a fresh coffee, or a brief chat, for others it's a trip to the smoking shelters.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I tend to find I can kill two birds with one stone if Priti is giving the update. Having said that I'm currently watching Gove and I can feel a slight stirring...

That's lockdown for you. It's when you start looking longingly at the cat you know you've crossed the Covid rubicon :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here