Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thingy on Bike Handlebar. What is it?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Don’t worry. I once took a laptop back to a shop complaining that it had a shiny casing and not the plain Matt black that was advertised.
The assistant easily removed the protective sticker and the problem was solved.
It is nearly 4:30 be time for your nap soon, I will fetch your tartan blanket for you......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is it cottage pie for tea? Or is that Thursdays? I get so terribly confused.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The point of a bell, from my experience, is that on a narrow strip of pathway surrounded by hedge/gorse/nettles, you can politely inform a pedestrian that you are approaching and let them know that they need to climb into the hedge/gorse/nettles in order to allow you to pass. Should they not you then ring it repeatedly and should they turn round and tell you that they are unwilling to tear themselves to pieces/get stung badly you then hurl abuse at them.
Trouble is, on some of the shared paths round here - the walkers think you're being aggressive and demanding if you ring the bell in advance. They turn and glower at you.

The opposite happened the other day when I was on the prom. I really wasn't in any hurry, and simply slowed down to walking pace behind an old couple - as about 30 yards further on it widened, and I would pass them then. However, a faster walker behind me shouted 'you should just ring your bell - that's what it's for'. Making the old couple in front turn round, and get all apologetic and so on - obviously considering that they were holding me up and so on. I felt awful - and didn't know how to tell the walker to mind her own business!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Trouble is, on some of the shared paths round here - the walkers think you're being aggressive and demanding if you ring the bell in advance. They turn and glower at you.

The opposite happened the other day when I was on the prom. I really wasn't in any hurry, and simply slowed down to walking pace behind an old couple - as about 30 yards further on it widened, and I would pass them then. However, a faster walker behind me shouted 'you should just ring your bell - that's what it's for'. Making the old couple in front turn round, and get all apologetic and so on - obviously considering that they were holding me up and so on. I felt awful - and didn't know how to tell the walker to mind her own business!
Which proves You can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time, especially if they are tw@ts.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Before you take your new bike out, you might want to put a front wheel on it. Or were you riding a unicycle the last time you were out? In which case, where was your bell?
My new one is definitely an upgrade on my penny-farthing!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Don’t worry. I once took a laptop back to a shop complaining that it had a shiny casing and not the plain Matt black that was advertised.
See. It's not just me! :love:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Does it do the air-con ?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton

Good post.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
If
Question from Mr. Thicko here;
What is the black round thing on my Trek hybrid bike handlebars? I've just bought the bike and noticed it after I got home! I thought I'd ask the experts on here rather than phoning the shop!
I welcome the usual comedy answers along with hopefully a sensible one or two as to what it actually is and does!!
View attachment 166365
If you ping it as you approach any pedestrian crossing, it indicates you have complete right of way over the crossing.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I know how you feel. I had to visit my GP recently as every time I drunk tea I felt a pain in the eye. He suggested I remove the spoon! Isn't the NHS brilliant! :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you're Danny Baker, that would be deemed racist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here