Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you hate about driving in the UK

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
With the icy/snowy weather its the usual list:

Drivers who can't be bothered to allow a few minutes extra to prep the car and for their journey when the weather is so obviously bad
Drivers who don't clear snow or defrost the windscreen / side windows before setting off, especially those that have heated rear windows/ rear wash wipe but don't even bother to clear their rear view!
Tailgating at any time but especially in icy conditions
Driving without lights on in fog / heavy rain
Driving too fast for the conditions and without consideration to what is going on around them or planning ahead so they can avoid running into trouble. I can recommend the 'Police Roadcraft' handbook for tips on adopting a driving system based on watching the road ahead and driving accordingly. Do your own occasional commentary on whats going on and looking for hazards is a good way of practising this technique. When you do this it also becomes obvious just how many other drivers are failing to drive as safely as they might. There are too many so called professional drivers around who bang on about 'I do 30k miles each year so I'm a great driver' but have bad driving habits. In an ideal world drivers should be subjected to periodic re-tests.

Worse still young inexperienced drivers who race around like looneys because they think they know how to drive, just because they passed a test.

Finally I wonder how many vehicles are on the road that haven't had a regular routine check of tyre pressures, screenwash, oil levels etc etc. People spend a fortune on cars, often the second most expensive purchase/expense in their budget after a mortgage and put theirs and others safety at risk every time they drive it because they don't bother to do basic checks. Compounded by those that willfully drive without insurance or knowing they have a defective vehicle.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
People turning around after a accident like the one I'm witnessing now on coldean lane, there has nearly been 3 other crashes

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Cant believe this hasn't had a mention. When your in a long queue of cars (for example exiting a motorway) & people sail past the queue & stick their indicator on & try & cut in at the front. This leaves them sat in the nearside lane & causes delays as well as driving you nuts when you've been sat in the queue for a while. Happens at roadworks when they reduce from 3 lanes to 2 etc.

This was the first one that sprung to mind for me. Travel to Somerset a lot and it's always happening as you enter Salisbury, horrific traffic there sometimes. Normally results into a few hand gestures and a couple of cars plopping themselves in the middle of both lanes so no queue jumpers can go about their business.

Dec 29, 2011
The junction where you can turn right for the Amex or left to enter Sussex University, has two lanes for the roundabout. What REALLY winds me up is when people bypass the huge queue to turn right (in the right hand lane) but going up the left hand lane and turning right anyway. These people should be shot.

D

Deleted member 22389

As a driver: People who cant park properly, and leave the rear end of their car sticking out on the road by the layby at Sainsburys. It dangerous. One day somebody is going to get their car smashed.

As a pedestrian: Drivers who park up on the pavement, because they can't be bothered to walk for their fish and chips. Pavement is for pedestrians, not cars.

As a cyclist: Drivers not giving way when the sign clearly states priority for oncoming traffic. Drivers need to realise that this forces cyclists in to the kerb. It's dangerous. Just give us 10 seconds of your life so we can pass in safety. Don't be inpatient, and don't swear out of your window just because you hate cyclists.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
adopting a driving system based on watching the road ahead and driving accordingly. Do your own occasional commentary on whats going on and looking for hazards is a good way of practising this technique. When you do this it also becomes obvious just how many other drivers are failing to drive as safely as they might.

Good one - this is particularly obvious on the approach to large roundabouts (e.g Cuilfail Tunnel on the A26 approaching from Phoenix Causeway and A22 Southbound at Boship) where there is no need to stop if you look to your right approaching the roundabout and nothing is coming.

"Open your eyes, you can SEE there is nothing coming" as I frequently point out:thumbsup:

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
People who sit at traffic lights with their foot on the brake blinding the person behind them. Not seen this mentioned which is worrying. I now put on high beam and blind them back if they don't use their freakin handbrake and they still don't get it.

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
People turning around after a accident like the one I'm witnessing now on coldean lane, there has nearly been 3 other crashes

I was the first to arrive after the copper had stopped us all going up Coldean, he signalled me to turn round, what was I supposed to do give him the bird, ignore him and carry on????

Dec 18, 2003
Haywards Heath
On rural a roads, people who drive so slowly for miles thwarting your progress and then do a mansell on the one straight safe stretch that appears for the first time in 234.8 miles so you can't overtake them (usually at that point, despite no traffic passing you the other way for 6hrs, there is ALWAYS a car coming the other way on aforementioned safe bit - and it's another 74 miles until another safe stretch occurs....and then the 2nd car of the day coming the other way will suddenly appear! I am convinced councils employ people as "oncoming traffic" to wait around safe overtaking areas on rural roads and pop out just as I'm coming along in order to prolong my frustration / tailgating Miss Marple in front).

Now that mad me laugh! So true!

Lush

Mods' Pet
The Dyke Road cycle lane, which every f**ker uses as a car park. It's not as if the houses on Dyke Rd don't already have drives that you could park at least two or three cars in. Presumably there's no law against parking in a cycle lane, otherwise the traffic wardens would be down there pronto. Would love to see a ticket on every car one day.

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
Just a few from me...
- Drivers who don't indicate.
- Drivers who sit in the middle lane of the motorway despite nothing being in the slow lane.
- Drivers who sit in the fast lane of the motorway despite nothing being in the middle and/or slow lane.
- Drivers who brake on the motor way for no reason - just take your foot off the accelerator!
- Drivers who don't put their headlights on in poor visibility - rain, fog or getting dark. It's about being seen and not just being able to see!
- Drivers that leave their back end sticking out when turning right (even when there is a right hand turn lane) - straighten up you muppets!
- Drivers that drop litter. Cigarette ends are included - use your ashtray you filthy bastards!
- Drivers that indicate right when coming off a round about (not a mini roundabout).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Drivers who undertake on the motorway.
Drivers who sit in the middle lane of the motorway despite nothing being in the slow lane.

Don't these two somehow go together. Both annoy me, but the latter of the two invites the former.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
For a bit light relief, and believe me I agree with many of the posts on this thread, visit

youparklikeacunt.com

It does highlight driver,vehicle types !

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
One which hasn't been mentioned and by own bugbear.

Sitting behind a car which is waiting to pull into a main road. From your vantage point you can see this car can easily pull out so you can have your turn. But it doesn't, instead it sits there until a car which you can vaguely see in the distance tootled past 5 minutes later. Behind this car is a massive string of traffic which means you're going to have wait for another 5 minutes to pull out.

And the head of the driver in front always shoots from left to to right like they are watching a really fast tennis match - but has no impact at all on the movement of their car.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The worst thing is people who don't indicate left when turning off a roundabout. The amount of times you are coming up to a roundabout and have to stop, only for the oncomin car to turn off without indicating is ridiculous. It is honestly the most astonishingly lazy thing I can think of - indicating takes a TINY move of your left hand, and it means I don't have to stop, saving a bit of money by not having to move off again from a standing start. I jus can't get over how selfish it is.

Mew

Aug 16, 2011
Driving in Burgess hill.

Yes, you can go straight on in the left lane at a roundabout (not commonly known amongst BH folk).

Driving to Burgess Hill.

Stupid road from Rocky lane into town with parked cars down one side.

Driving from Burgess Hill to HH.

Idiots putting their cars into the fields down isaacs lane. Idiots driving at 30 down isaacs lane before speeding up to 50 when they hit the Bolnore village roundabout.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
BMW's - do they have a special setting which automatically tailgates the car in front and can only be driven at at least double the speed limit and makes everybody who drives them a total arsehole,VW combi vans and VW Golfs that have those stupid f***ing spotlights on all the time,anybody that uses foglights the second the Sun goes behind a cloud,drivers who seem to think it's O.K. to text/use mobile 'phones when driving,especially the dozy mare who T-boned me at a stop sign writing my car off and giving me hair line fractures in three vertebrae in my neck,because she was texting her mate that she would be late meeting her to go swimming,drivers who deliberately try and block your exit onto a sliproad,traffic queue jumpers - they should all be shot in the back of the head thus blowing out what few Brain cells they may have,anybody who drives within 50 Metres of me and basically anybody on the road when I am and lastly,my Wife,possibly the worst driver EVER in the History of the Universe.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Another vote for the 40mph everywhere drivers, who are usually the ones that brake for no reason other than a car coming in the opposite direction. Makes my piss fizz.

Austin or Rover Metro drivers

Rover drivers

Drivers who let the children in the back climb all over the back seat obviously not wearing seatbelts or in car seats

The "I can drive I just don't have a licence" conversation you overhear from time to time

Drivers who clearly haven't checked the condition/pressure of their tyres (a personal bugbear after many years in the tyre industry)

Drivers who refuse to put their lights on when necessary

Drivers who poodle along with their lights on full beam for no apparent reason

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here