Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Things which are not currently criminal offences but which absolutely should be

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The same with grannies at bus stops. They get on the bus after a 20 minute wait, and then start fumbling around in their purse for some coins :facepalm:
Bus passes not reached Somerset yet, then? Oh well, maybe in another twenty or thirty years...............

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
Asking "can he play left back"
using the word "like" before every other word in a conversation
shrinking chocolate bars while keeping the price the same

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Nope. You've interpreted it that way. Pretty much everyone under 35 will interpret it to mean the OED definition - to receive, to have, which is also the first line and main example used. This is a generational thing, you won't find youngsters taking issue with how use of the word has changed, it is language evolving before our eyes, and it is correct.

Like "can I grab a coffee to go" - means, "can you make a coffee, put it on the side, at which point I will grab it and go". Literally everyone in the situation knows they don't mean can I come behind the kiosk and make a coffee myself. That would patently be absurd.

Yes, it might be seen as a bit clunky and aggressive, but it is 100% etymologically correct.

I think it's more the fact it is an Americanism and the continued use of such phrases in the vernacular in this country because of the popularisation of American culture means it has become acceptable as part of our lexicon makes it irksome to some.

My own pet hates that haven't been covered:

Once venerable and reliable institutions such as the BBC being forced to dumb down due to the general dumbing down of society - therefore dumb members of society should be forced to maintain an acceptable level of general intelligence for the betterment of society, and if they fail to achieve that level then they should be deemed illegal... (PLEASE SEE THIS IN THE TONGUE IN CHEEK MANNER IT WAS INTENDED.)

(See also said institutions sending push messages to smartphones with BREAKING NEWS about Celebrity A's pets most recent trip to the hairdressers and something HILARIOUS going on)

Reference to and adherence to "generation snowflake" - although it's true, this PC world is here to stay.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
1) not indicating at a roundabout or indicating right to go straight on
2) People on their phones when trying to watch a film or a serious with them
3) People Driving slowly in the fast lane and not just using the lane to overtake
4) People dumping drawers and non collectible shit by my wheelie bins.
5) southerners supporting northern teams and vice versa

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
People asking as to why there is no 'straight Pride' every time the annual bin fest of a thread arrives. Hopefully they'll make it offence in the next couple of days to spare me a big yawn.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Bringing skin colour into every discussion (reference a couple of posts back). Actually I guess it's just tedious and intellectually lazy so making it illegal might be a little over the top.

oooo

4IRMbZJp.jpg

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
People that do this:

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 15.32.45.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-02 at 15.32.56.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-02 at 15.33.12.png

If they don't want to wear them in the conventional manner, then they should use one of these lovelies:

Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 15.32.13.png

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
excessive eyebrow plucking

excessive eyebrow plucking combined with excessive use of an eyebrow pencil

absent-minded use of a suitcase on wheels

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it's more the fact it is an Americanism and the continued use of such phrases in the vernacular in this country because of the popularisation of American culture means it has become acceptable as part of our lexicon makes it irksome to some.

Spot on. Annoying? Yes. Irksome? Yes.

An appropriate part of vernacular and becoming normalised in our language? Absolutely.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Adults on any kind of self propelled scooter, especially those that also wear their suit with on way to work.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
People calling The Premier League The Premiership.
Passengers who block aisles in planes.
Judgmental holier than thou religious freaks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here