Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Things to do in Birmingham

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hire a car and spend an afternoon enjoying spaghetti junction, then head out to experience the rush hour queues on either the M6 or M5.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I have family and friends in and around Birmingham and spent a lot of time there - I appreciate that it has its less desirable parts but the areas I know around Edgbaston, Harborne, Moseley etc are as nice as you would find in any city in this country. A bit like London, the city grew out of villages, some of which still retain their character although the post war city planners did not exactly leave a legacy to be proud of in some parts of the city. It has many other really leafy suburbs (more trees than Paris) and if you grew up knowing those parts then it’s not exactly the Spaghetti Junction / M6 parts referred to. Edgbaston golf course is, for example, as nice a city golf course as you will find anywhere. Nearby are the Botanical Gardens, Cannon Hill Park, and the University, it’s where tennis was first played (marked by a blue plaque) etc. Head into Aston, Lozells and Newtown and I get your point.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have family and friends in and around Birmingham and spent a lot of time there - I appreciate that it has its less desirable parts but the areas I know around Edgbaston, Harborne, Moseley etc are as nice as you would find in any city in this country. A bit like London, the city grew out of villages, some of which still retain their character although the post war city planners did not exactly leave a legacy to be proud of in some parts of the city. It has many other really leafy suburbs (more trees than Paris) and if you grew up knowing those parts then it’s not exactly the Spaghetti Junction / M6 parts referred to. Edgbaston golf course is, for example, as nice a city golf course as you will find anywhere. Nearby are the Botanical Gardens, Cannon Hill Park, and the University, it’s where tennis was first played (marked by a blue plaque) etc. Head into Aston, Lozells and Newtown and I get your point.

Every time I've been up there for football, I've always thought it's quite underrated. I like the city centre. Lots of lovely old buildings combined with some amazing modern architecture which the city council have evidently been brave enough to sanction. Sure, there's plenty of brutalist concrete about, but it's nonetheless got plenty going for it.

It's one of those places that's nowhere near as bad as you think it's going to be :)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Severn Valley Railway from Kidderminster

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Went there for work a month ago.

We found this bar:

https://www.albertsschloss.co.uk

Great fun if you like great quality alcohol, dancing on seats, burlesque dancers and a live band. They take requests for songs so I tried to get them to play Voulez Vous by ABBA but to no avail. It should have ruined my night but it didn’t bother me because the place was so awesome!

d0c047103112a9708cb742699d737a81.jpg

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Go to Birmingham station and buy a one way ticket to Brighton?

Trouble is with that suggestion that you may end up in Queen’s Road, West Street or North Street, and then would need to quickly buy another single ticket out again. Not before marvelling at the national graffiti and street litter collection, of course.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Trouble is with that suggestion that you may end up in Queen’s Road, West Street or North Street, and then would need to quickly buy another single ticket out again. Not before marvelling at the national graffiti and street litter collection, of course.
The other trouble is that it was the sixth variation of the same joke in less than two pages - and the first five weren't as funny as they thought they were either!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The other trouble is that it was the sixth variation of the same joke in less than two pages - and the first five weren't as funny as they thought they were either!

More jokes than recommended places to visit in Birmingham though. :)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If I went there I would probably spend most of my time licking the sidewalks where the great Graham might have put his feet at some point or another.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here