Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things about the South you have only just discovered

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ho Chi Minh once worked as a pastry chef on the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry in the 1920s. I think he went on to do some other, non pastry related stuff after that.

There's a plaque to him on the west quay, on a jetty in front of the new flats, opposite the Co-op.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Ouse originally went into the sea below Seaford Head (10th century) then due to storms it moved along the coast to Tides Mill, then it was diverted to the new port - hence the name of Newhaven. As above - Tides Mill used tidal power. Amazing place. And a beautiful beach for a swim.

(that’s enough Tides Mill - Ed)

Prior to being called Newhaven, it was Meeching.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
That stoolball is played in Sussex, Surrey, Kent and the midlands! Who knew.

I played it a bit at Primary School - in Stevenage.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ho Chi Minh once worked as a pastry chef on the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry in the 1920s. I think he went on to do some other, non pastry related stuff after that.

There's a plaque to him on the west quay, on a jetty in front of the new flats, opposite the Co-op.

Anywhere near the Eazy-E bench?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is that off the A299, come off at the Shell petrol station services?

Yes. This is where to park (start of arrow, arrow is direction to walk). Nothing is signposted.

Victory.PNG

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A Twitten is very much a Sussex / Southern phrase to describe a small alley or passageway which is not used anywhere else.

Coming from the Old English and derived from the German word ‘Twiete’ meaning alleyway. Whereas Twitchel (Nottinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Notts/Derby border, Ireland, Bedford, Essex, Hertfordshire) is a very old word for a narrow passage between walls or hedges (Old and Middle English- see OED). Up here they are ginnels or snickets, or occasionally a jitty.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Jomo Kenyatta the first Prime Minister and later President of an independent Kenya once worked as a farm labourer in Storrington.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I also played it during a brief period spent at Primary School in Kent, early 1970s.

Although to keep (sort of) the local aspect, the school was (still is) called Sussex Road Primary

Tonbridge's finest ! I was there in the late seventies, only remember playing football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here