Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] They don’t pay any road tax and they get free beer!!

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Just how stupid do you have to be to not understand.

Cyclists can get hurt if they jump red lights.
People are killed when cars do it.

Obviously I'm incredibly stupid.

So a cyclist who jumps a red light and gets hit by a car going through a green light can only get hurt, but never killed.

That's Superman shit, that is.... ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously I'm incredibly stupid.

So a cyclist who jumps a red light and gets hit by a car going through a green light can only get hurt, but never killed.

That's Superman shit, that is.... ???

Clearly you are.

A cyclist going through a red light will get themselves hurt, possibly fatally.
A car driver going through a red light will hurt, possibly/probably kill, other people.

Who do you stop first, the attempted murderer or the attempted suicide?

I assume no car driver will honestly answer this but I'll pointlessly pose the question anyway:-

What's the nature of the red lights that are being jumped by all these outlaw cyclists?

Are they predominately pedestrian crossings that are empty before flashing amber?
Or
Main intersections controlled by traffic lights such as at The Clock Tower?

I now wait with yawning predictability for some of the myopic mealy mouthers to tell me they only ever see cyclists flying through red lights at 4 way intersections.

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Clearly you are.
A cyclist going through a red light will get themselves hurt, possibly fatally.

You've just farted and followed through on your own argument there. Fatally means 'killed'..... doesn't it?

I think we should just merge this with the pointless argument thread. I can't be arsed any more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another one convinced. Yay me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm convinced you're deluded.

Yes, yay you...

So now that your 3 minute hiatus is over, are you able to comment on the difference between:-

A cyclist putting himself in a position to be killed
&
Car drivers putting themselves in a position to kill other people

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
So now that your 3 minute hiatus is over, are you able to comment on the difference between:-

&

Not as simple as that is it. What if, for example, a car swerves to avoid said cyclist and mows down the pedestrians waiting to cross the road? Or swerves into the oncoming traffic? Most drivers would take some sort of evasive action instinctively regardless of who was in the wrong.

It’s best if everyone obeys the traffic signals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not as simple as that is it. What if, for example, a car swerves to avoid said cyclist and mows down the pedestrians waiting to cross the road? Or swerves into the oncoming traffic? Most drivers would take some sort of evasive action instinctively regardless of who was in the wrong.

It’s best if everyone obeys the traffic signals.
Of course.

But it's pretty simple when it's a car crossing a red light, n'est-ce pas?

Knocky's Nose

May 7, 2017
Eastbourne

&

I don't see ANY difference!

A cyclist putting himself (or herself) in a position to be killed is a prick and should know better.

A car driver putting himself (or herself) in a position to kill other people is a prick and should know better.

Sorry if common sense and logic is getting in the way, but....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't see ANY difference!

A cyclist putting himself (or herself) in a position to be killed is a prick and should know better.

A car driver putting himself (or herself) in a position to kill other people is a prick and should know better.

Sorry if common sense and logic is getting in the way, but....

No difference, no difference at all between someone willfully putting themselves in a position to be killed verses someone willfully putting themselves in a position to kill other people.

Absolutely no difference, no difference whatsoever?

Of course you are correct on one point, they'll all pricks and should know better.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I am all for safe cycling but it does not exist on our roads. No such thing. Cyclists are 15 times more likely to be killed, for various reasons, so I don't do it and don't get why anyone would put their lives in the hands of car drivers. Nuts.
My heart is in my mouth when I see mums with kids on bikes cruising around Btn like Mary Poppins. I pray for them, I really do.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Just back from Amsterdam where cars and cyclists have always appeared to mingle in harmony and everyone to respect everyone else. Great cycle lanes and a more relaxed attitude to driving in Holland appears to help. I drive about 15,000 miles a year and cycle at least 50 miles a week on average: the tensions between drivers and cyclists are definitely getting worse in this country but that seems to me just a general reflection of increasing intolerance of different points of view and lifestyles all round. :(
In this case quite literally it must be a case of live and let live.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am all for safe cycling but it does not exist on our roads. No such thing. Cyclists are 15 times more likely to be killed, for various reasons, so I don't do it and don't get why anyone would put their lives in the hands of car drivers. Nuts.
My heart is in my mouth when I see mums with kids on bikes cruising around Btn like Mary Poppins. I pray for them, I really do.

If you are that scared, are you not feeling the same for all road users? 46% of road deaths were occupants of motor vehicles, 25% pedestrians, 18% motorcyclists, 6% cyclists. The majority of under 16 deaths and casualties were either pedestrian or car occupants.

This 15 times more likely figure is based on casualty figures per billion miles driven by a car or ridden on a bike. If you converted that to time in the car or on the bike the statistics would be radically different. Clearly a billion miles on a bike is a lot longer exposed to the risks of the road than a billion miles by car, as I said on another thread, the quote about lies is a relevant one, "there are 3 types of lies; lies, damned lies and statistics".

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Bold Seagull;8643922[B said:
]If you are that scared, are you not feeling the same for all road users? [/B]46% of road deaths were occupants of motor vehicles, 25% pedestrians, 18% motorcyclists, 6% cyclists. The majority of under 16 deaths and casualties were either pedestrian or car occupants.

This 15 times more likely figure is based on casualty figures per billion miles driven by a car or ridden on a bike. If you converted that to time in the car or on the bike the statistics would be radically different. Clearly a billion miles on a bike is a lot longer exposed to the risks of the road than a billion miles by car, as I said on another thread, the quote about lies is a relevant one, "there are 3 types of lies; lies, damned lies and statistics".

Not really. Road users (car drivers) are far more likely to survive a collision with a cyclist than the cyclist. I don't think there is a stat for the actual outcome based on likely occurrences, if there was, the figure would be radically higher IMO. Cyclists don't annoy me, they scare me because of the risks involved, the lack of safe lanes, the average distracted motorist, bad road planning etc etc etc...plus the general lack of awareness that most drivers have regarding anyone on the road other than other drivers - who represent the greatest risk of injury, not cyclists. Laziness and downright dangerous driving habits are one thing, but the innate primal instinct to constantly monitor the greatest threat to our safety means cyclists slip down the food chain at busy intersections or busy roads. I think that's why most motorists become defensive or aggressive regarding cyclists. They are scared stiff as they now its probably only a question of time before the hit one because they are distracted by a much greater risk to themselves. This is just a theory based on human behaviour and how people assess risks, not my personal approach. I am very careful and try to be aware of all road users, and even the odd pedestrian.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not really. Road users (car drivers) are far more likely to survive a collision with a cyclist than the cyclist. I don't think there is a stat for the actual outcome based on likely occurrences, if there was, the figure would be radically higher IMO. Cyclists don't annoy me, they scare me because of the risks involved, the lack of safe lanes, the average distracted motorist, bad road planning etc etc etc...plus the general lack of awareness that most drivers have regarding anyone on the road other than other drivers - who represent the greatest risk of injury, not cyclists. Laziness and downright dangerous driving habits are one thing, but the innate primal instinct to constantly monitor the greatest threat to our safety means cyclists slip down the food chain at busy intersections or busy roads. I think that's why most motorists become defensive or aggressive regarding cyclists. They are scared stiff as they now its probably only a question of time before the hit one because they are distracted by a much greater risk to themselves. This is just a theory based on human behaviour and how people assess risks, not my personal approach. I am very careful and try to be aware of all road users, and even the odd pedestrian.

That's why I assume every car/lorry/bus is out to kill me, and ride accordingly.

The net result is I think I'm 99.9% safe on Sussex's roads, and 99.9% of drivers are excellent, because I do everything I can to not put myself in danger.

No prizes for guessing who's gonna get killed to death, tomorrow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1055724672128598016[/tweet]

[tweet]1055880770546491393[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here