Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

These thick as shit players ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I doubt he cares about Burnley. I also doubt you've had to think about a decision which could cost a million or so for your family.
I believe Hughton wouldn't lie when he said Dale didn't refuse to play. I think he was left out for his own good. Different people handle situations differently

All this fuss over a tweet he made on the spur of the moment due to frustration. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Look, I know you follow and talk to the players on Twitter, they can do no wrong in your eyes and you'll defend them to the hilt. But I'm sorry, if all he's got to stress about is how soon he and his family will be getting their hands on that extra million, then he's really not in a bad place right now is he. He's only contracted till next June, he might even be off in January. He's 27, not 35. He'll get his move, so why stress over it being THIS MONTH.

And I'm sure he hasn't downed tools and refused to play, but CH has basically been forced to drop him because of his attitude this month. And its not just the tweet (although it was revealing). Its the transfer request a few hours before the window closed, and the fact he's missed games we needed him in during this whole business.

Kayal also said 'honour my contract' in the summer. We didn't give him the grief even though to me it screamed get up or I'm off

Kayal hasn't agitated for a move. Kayal has got his head down and continued to give this club his all. Stephens on the other hand, has not, simple as.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
True, but not really relevant - many, maybe most, of us will never see a million quid in our lifetime. That's a whole different ball game to having to think about a decision which could cost ANOTHER million or so for your family. After all, £10K a week is a million every couple of years, which in itself is a pretty life-changing amount!

What about increase your wages by 150% which is what I believe was on offer. The rise from 10k a week to 25k a week is staggering.

But again - this was about testing himself and being the best he could/can be. I have no problem what so ever with him wanting to leave.

I am now 8 months into a new job, when I was headhunted I was offered 15k increase on my basic with another 8k in bonuses. Of course that impacted my concentration in my current (at the time) job and altered the way I looked at the place and how I was treated.

Aug 23, 2011
It's like being gutted because you've just lost out on this week's lottery jackpot, when you've got the guarantee winning numbers for the lottery a few months down the line.

What guarantee has Dale got? His job could be ruined by one mis-timed tackle which considering which position he plays is more likely than some. He could also have a car accident or many other reasons why this could be his one chance at playing in the PL. Unless youre at the top of the pyramid then you'll always have a chance of losing your best players. At 27 he is at what is usually thought of as a footballers peak age and as such surely you want to test yourself against the best when you're at your best. Do you think the athletes who compete at the commonwealth games are happy with that or do you think they might want a crack at the olympics even though they know they will have much harder opposition and less likely to win? If you don't push yourself to see what you can achieve then you may have regrets. In your work life, do you get upset by others striving to be the best they can?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Look, I know you follow and talk to the players on Twitter, they can do no wrong in your eyes and you'll defend them to the hilt. But I'm sorry, if all he's got to stress about is how soon he and his family will be getting their hands on that extra million, then he's really not in a bad place right now is he. He's only contracted till next June, he might even be off in January. He's 27, not 35. He'll get his move, so why stress over it being THIS MONTH.

And I'm sure he hasn't downed tools and refused to play, but CH has basically been forced to drop him because of his attitude this month. And its not just the tweet (although it was revealing). Its the transfer request a few hours before the window closed, and the fact he's missed games we needed him in during this whole business.

Kayal hasn't agitated for a move. Kayal has got his head down and continued to give this club his all. Stephens on the other hand, has not, simple as.

You don't know what has happened any more than I do. It might have been Dale, it might have been Hughton.

I would be more upset if Hughton lied, than Dale going on strike. That's just me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you suggesting you wouldn't consider that kicking a ball in one part of the country for £1m is much different from kicking a ball in another part of the country for £2m?

No, of course not - silly suggestion - but it is true that a million quid (although obviously very desirable) is less of a life changer to somebody who already has a million or two (with good prospects of getting a few more in the next few years) than it is to those of us who will never see a million quid in a lifetime.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
You know, I wrote (then deleted) pretty much the same this morning after reading what Stephens had tweeted. There has always been detachment from these people, them and us, but it's never been as wide as it is now. I really enjoy going to football, I think and write about our team every day on here, but I'm not sure I actually like the players very much. Sad really, but there it is.

Excellent post. Yes, I love the game, and have supported the Albion since the 1970s, but I do think that many footballers are overpaid, badly-behaved, thickoes.

Sadly, but predictably, low intelligence + high earnings often = flashy cars (oh, how original!), bling jewellery, headphones the size of a planet, massive wall-sized TVs, and bimbo, gold-digging, glamour-model, girl-friends (who have no self-respect, and so don't care how badly their footballer boy-friend treats them, or how many other air-heads he shags).

Of course, I might just be an awful snob :blush:

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You don't know what has happened any more than I do. It might have been Dale, it might have been Hughton.

I would be more upset if Hughton lied, than Dale going on strike. That's just me.

Have agreed with all your posts on this thread until this.

Why be upset if Hughton has been economical with the truth? His job is to protect his players and keep things 'in-house' as far as is possible. Things happen behind the scenes that we just don't need to know about - always has done at all levels.

Stephens is paid to do a job, if he has gone on strike he shouldn't be paid. As for the ridiculous tweet, as you stated earlier, he was probably frustrated, late at night etc..... The I'll see out my contract was a bit irritating for me, as until January he doesn't have any other option really.

As normal, I'll support Stephens like all of the others. Glad it's all over - I just think Dale has probably been badly advised by his agent, culminating in the transfer request. Burnley haven't helped either.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

common denominator there and a lot to do why so many clubs look to the continent for value and work ethic.....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have agreed with all your posts on this thread until this.

Why be upset if Hughton has been economical with the truth? His job is to protect his players and keep things 'in-house' as far as is possible. Things happen behind the scenes that we just don't need to know about - always has done at all levels.

Stephens is paid to do a job, if he has gone on strike he shouldn't be paid. As for the ridiculous tweet, as you stated earlier, he was probably frustrated, late at night etc..... The I'll see out my contract was a bit irritating for me, as until January he doesn't have any other option really.

As normal, I'll support Stephens like all of the others. Glad it's all over - I just think Dale has probably been badly advised by his agent, culminating in the transfer request. Burnley haven't helped either.

I suppose because I really like Chris Hughton and want him to be trustworthy. He didn't have to say anything but his statement 'I can categorically say that Dale didn't refuse to play', is quite a bold one.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What about increase your wages by 150% which is what I believe was on offer. The rise from 10k a week to 25k a week is staggering.

But again - this was about testing himself and being the best he could/can be. I have no problem what so ever with him wanting to leave.

I am now 8 months into a new job, when I was headhunted I was offered 15k increase on my basic with another 8k in bonuses. Of course that impacted my concentration in my current (at the time) job and altered the way I looked at the place and how I was treated.

However, if you wanted to move to another job you would surely hand in your notice and work your notice period ?

In footballer terms this would be to stay until either the end of your contract, or more likely, until a time when your employer has employed an adequate replacement.

Dale handed in a transfer request ( his notice ) on transfer deadline day. He wanted to leave the same day and not work the required notice period - ie until a replacement was identified and employed.

Aug 23, 2011
However, if you wanted to move to another job you would surely hand in your notice and work your notice period ?

In footballer terms this would be to stay until either the end of your contract, or more likely, until a time when your employer has employed an adequate replacement.

Dale handed in a transfer request ( his notice ) on transfer deadline day. He wanted to leave the same day and not work the required notice period - ie until a replacement was identified and employed.

Hence the transfer fee, this is to compensate the club for allowing them to leave the contract

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hence the transfer fee, this is to compensate the club for allowing them to leave the contract
Indeed. But not at a few hours notice when it proves impossible to get a replacement. Hence the employing club making the decision on whether the deal goes through or not.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I appreciate that many peoples view of Stephens is that if we were offered the opportunity to double our salary for at least a year, we may well have behaved the same as this ungrateful scrote.

However, football is unique among business modules. The players wages are dependant upon generous Chairman , sponsors and supporters.

To put some pathetic weasel, whinging excuse for his utterly selfish attitude on twitter is beyond contempt for those who pay money from their pockets just to pay someone to have 'fun' kicking a football.

We will of course put up with it, because so many of these sort pervade our beautiful game today. After 52 years supporting the Albion , I find it harder and harder to feel any compassion for the players. The Chairman, sponsors and supporters , I applaud you for continually reaching deep into your pockets to support the desire for a solid football club that will be here long after the greedy ****ers have bled everyone dry.

Before I put one small point across on this I would firstly like to say that I agree weith everything 100% in your post and I have said as much in other threads that I did not like the tone of Dale's twitter message. He did not do himself any favours with the wording or the tone of it.

I haven't read any other posts on this so I apologise if others have covered it.

The one point I would like to make in Dale's defence is that football yes it is very well paid but it is one of the very few jobs that you cannot just walk away and leave if you find another job whether it be higher paid or lower paid . In the same Geopraphical region or in another geopraphical region. Even whether it be a better job or a worse job.

For in football you employer can actually stop you earning a living if you refuse to continue to work for them by witholding your Registration until your contract ends. Legally this is slavery within the labour market and no other type of employer can do it.

So yes they do get well remunerated and they sign contracts for a certain period of time but all other workers can walk away from their contracts. Footballers cannot so in that regard I feel we should to cut Dale a bit of slack for his outburst, which wasn't nice as I have said but the lad made a mistake and spoke out whilst he was still angry - The wrong thing to do.

In turn the lad himself needs to knuckle down now and help us get us to the Premiership.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
What Kaz did is probably worse than what DS did, especially considering he didn't even have the balls to stand by his attention-seeking, shit-stirring tweet and deleted it in minutes. At least this means he will still get chances to retweet all the 'u iz a baller Kaz u shudve bin playin 2day m8' tweets when we don't win a game.

Obviously has no intention of working hard to win a place. May as well tear up his contract and let him go to Crawley or wherever he was so 'disappointed' not to go to.

What was the Kaz tweet ?.............I missed that

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For in football you employer can actually stop you earning a living if you refuse to continue to work for them by witholding your Registration until your contract ends. Legally this is slavery within the labour market and no other type of employer can do it.

Err...its not slavery if you're still getting PAID.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I'm not actually sure that is the case post-Bosman. Contracts will have evolved since then

Quote from PFA chairman:

"Sometimes it’s because of the structure of the contract being such that a lump sum’s paid to players, providing they’re not asking to leave the club,” he explains. “That’s why so many players often leave it as a very last resort, in order to avoid losing that amount of money.”

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/whats-point-handing-transfer-request#qZwcRXwRZuTbdaJl.99

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What was the Kaz tweet ?.............I missed that

It was one word - Disapppointed.

It was later deleted. It may have referred to the window or it may have referred to anything but fans have put two & two together and made five.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It was one word - Disapppointed.

It was later deleted. It may have referred to the window or it may have referred to anything but fans have put two & two together and made five.

No one came in for him, so maybe he was coming out in sympathy for Dale and then saw the negative responses and deleted it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here