Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
It's consumption that really makes the difference, once the initial crazy period is over, and I'd expect consumption to be down, not up. Many people will be making small adjustments to their behaviour - maybe not undertaking longer drives - postponing them for another time, or being a bit more aware of how they are driving, trying to be more efficient.

Or heaven forbid, walking short journeys, taking public transport, car sharing etc.

I wish were true, but I am not sure. Monday morning seemed quieter than normal, but every morning since has seemed as bad or even worse than normal in my neck of the woods. Perhaps this is because people think this is a short term problem. Telling people to use their cars less would be admitting there is a problem which is possibly the reason we are not hearing this message.

Unfortunately there is, in my opinion, a significant proportion of society who'd rather sit in a queue for petrol for an hour than ever contemplate using public transport, no matter how affordable or convenient it may be.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/transport/articles-reports/2019/02/07/half-brits-dont-taking-bus

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/639927/10-per-cent-Brits-too-lazy-to-walk

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/life...use-the-car-to-travel-less-than-a-mile-191067

That we don't have politicians brave enough to change this sort of behaviour is partly why we are where we are today.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Beats me why service stations can’t do what the supermarkets did early on in the pandemic and have specific times when only key workers could fill up.

Have to be quite limited to, for example, NHS workers or similar who have ID but it seemed to work pretty well then.

Don’t think many people would argue about this section of the community getting priority.

I find it incredible that Boris doesn’t seem to care about key workers and clearly wants to bury his head in the sand and hope it all sorts itself out on its own (or maybe I shouldn’t?)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define Key worker...

NHS front line
NHS office / manager
Teacher (can't get to school so kids can't go to school, so parents can't work)
County Council worker (non NHS) who visits vulnerable people / young people in their homes
Nursey worker - no day care - parents can't get to work
Supermarket worker (Can't get to work so no food on shelves)
Train driver (can't get to work so no trains)
Forecourt attendant - can't get to work so no one to sell petrol.
Pharmacists
Delivery drivers - without them industry grinds to a standstill.

Then how about tradesmen and construction workers....- where would the county be without plumbers, sparkies etc....

The list is endless - very hard to say who should and shouldn't get fuel.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1443547184935358472[/tweet]

[tweet]1443564995275538432[/tweet]

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
According to the Boris list of Key workers electricians are up there and have been there all through the pandemic think I could get special privileges at the fuel station. Keyworker needs dropped for NHS staff.

I have a letter from BP from last year saying as a supplier to major fuel manufacturers we are required to keep working as key workers . . . being part of the national infrastructure . . .

a load of ****ing bollocks, in the short term. I filed it with the tory party leaflets and their own manifesto

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They should just have another 2 week lockdown. Get the virus figures down and fill up the petrol stations at the same time ? :shrug:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It's all very well a minister saying it is stabilising in an interview but when half the petrol stations you pass are closed/coned off you can see evidence to the contrary with your own eyes.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Or heaven forbid, walking short journeys, taking public transport, car sharing etc.

Unfortunately there is, in my opinion, a significant proportion of society who'd rather sit in a queue for petrol for an hour than ever contemplate using public transport, no matter how affordable or convenient it may be.

Whilst accepting that what you say is absolutely true, there is of course another layer on top of it right now, with lingering covid fears.

I have no intention of using any form of crowded public transport for a while longer yet, when my car is an option.

And work-wise, it is still company (covid-safe) policy for each of us to take our separate cars rather than share, even if we are travelling to the same job 150 miles away.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Whilst accepting that what you say is absolutely true, there is of course another layer on top of it right now, with lingering covid fears.

I have no intention of using any form of crowded public transport for a while longer yet, when my car is an option.

And work-wise, it is still company (covid-safe) policy for each of us to take our separate cars rather than share, even if we are travelling to the same job 150 miles away.

A very fair point. Public health concerns are certainly suppressing public transport demand and will continue to do so for a while yet. It certainly took me a while to be comfortable on trains and buses again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They should just have another 2 week lockdown. Get the virus figures down and fill up the petrol stations at the same time ? :shrug:
After the Arsenal game, of course.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's all very well a minister saying it is stabilising in an interview but when half the petrol stations you pass are closed/coned off you can see evidence to the contrary with your own eyes.

Low and behold they lied/did not know/clueless/made it up as they go along.
Fuel industry saying that the situation is not stabilising at all.
Is the ability to lie with a straight face a prerequisite to getting a ministerial role?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Update from Lyme, Mrs Crodo just been out to top up her tank and no queue so she left it for today. Seems to be getting back to normal slowly.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My car was down to the amber light and the petrol pump icon this morning. Took a magazine, glasses and a flask to go in search of a queue. First two garages had no fuel. Decided to risk a few more miles and head for Tesco Holmbush and drove straight up to a pump. Only E10 available, no diesel or anything else. By the time I got out of the car, there was a petrol queue back to the roundabout - formed in moments. Popped in to Tesco and M & S for a few bits and pieces and 40 odd minutes later, the petrol station was closed. I felt a bit guilty filling up to the top with £50 worth, but with a bit more walking to the shops, a bit more journey management, I can get to the Albion, visit the family and it should last me for October.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
My car was down to the amber light and the petrol pump icon this morning. Took a magazine, glasses and a flask to go in search of a queue. First two garages had no fuel. Decided to risk a few more miles and head for Tesco Holmbush and drove straight up to a pump. Only E10 available, no diesel or anything else. By the time I got out of the car, there was a petrol queue back to the roundabout - formed in moments. Popped in to Tesco and M & S for a few bits and pieces and 40 odd minutes later, the petrol station was closed. I felt a bit guilty filling up to the top with £50 worth, but with a bit more walking to the shops, a bit more journey management, I can get to the Albion, visit the family and it should last me for October.

So you've put a full month's worth of fuel in your car? And contributed to Tescos running out. What if there was a carer behind you that needed the fuel to visit the elderly? Or a plumber that needs to fix someones heating.

Ah, feck them. I'm sorted for the month and I don't care.

No matter how much we blame the Govt, actions like that will keep it going.

It's hilarious how much 'blame' is being put on the Govt (who are frickin useless) and yet this thread is full of aholes not caring about others and just looking after number 1.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
The idea that people keep saying of a 'minimum' £30 spend is fine in theory but that's if you've got the money spare. I know 2 people who are care workers that go into peoples homes. One today has had to get the bus to see clients & has obviously been late for people. That £5 bus fare has taken half their petrol money for the week. The other person I know has their car parked a mile away from their house as they ran out of petrol & there are no petrol stations near enough to walk to with a can. They haven't been able to work for 2 days now.
They both get paid shit money as it is and have jobs that fit in with looking after their kids. One has lost 2 days pay, the other one is spending a weeks worth of petrol on bus fares in two days. Not everyone can afford to fill up their tanks, let alone have a minimum spend of £30 imposed on them. If you don't need a full tank of petrol for the next couple of weeks, don't bloody fill it up!! Oh yeah and someone will be going into a garage with a petrol can to fill up my friends car with enough petrol to get to a station they know has fuel! If you need it for your job, then fine. If you're filling up 'just in case', then you are a part of the problem, so stop being a selfish idiot. :shrug:

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
So you've put a full month's worth of fuel in your car? And contributed to Tescos running out. What if there was a carer behind you that needed the fuel to visit the elderly? Or a plumber that needs to fix someones heating.

Ah, feck them. I'm sorted for the month and I don't care.

No matter how much we blame the Govt, actions like that will keep it going.

It's hilarious how much 'blame' is being put on the Govt (who are frickin useless) and yet this thread is full of aholes not caring about others and just looking after number 1.

My dad queued for around 45 mind to get his this morning as had run out. Put his usual £25 in, lasts him a couple of weeks. Till operator said it was one of the highest amounts he had taken this morning, guy before him had topped up to full....£3.72!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My dad queued for around 45 mind to get his this morning as had run out. Put his usual £25 in, lasts him a couple of weeks. Till operator said it was one of the highest amounts he had taken this morning, guy before him had topped up to full....£3.72!

So you believe the till operator that the guy in front queued say 40 minutes to put £3.72, I recon the till operator was bullshitting [emoji23]

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
love how anyone would think the media, who created this mess, are controled by government. this is just another phase, the actual forecourts are dull now so watch the refinery, probably hoping to show a lack of movement. by next of the week they'll be bored of the whole story, stop reporting on it and we return to normal fuel buying.

Other than the ex head of the Civil Contingency Planning Unit, set up after the last fuel crisis, said that is exactly what would happen. It’s not about the media being the controlled by the govt, clearly they are not although the BBC gives a good impression of that sometimes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here