Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm starting a bathroom job in Worthing on monday ffs

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
If the reports of people filling up Jerry cans at petrol stations are correct then this needs to be stopped by the station staff/owners.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
some facts dont need to be shared. the "fact" was BP said they had a handful (their words) of forecourts close due to lorry driver shortage. BBC ran the story as a petrol shortage, because of lorry driver shortage, a handfull of forecourts closed. do you see the difference and impact? they shouldnt be allowed to report like that, and when they know the likely response, not report the issue at all. then the tabloids go to work and we have media induced panic is guaranteed.

encourage everyone to write to their MP for change to law that media may not report on speculation or local supply shortages at national level. it doesnt have any anything positive and leads to massively negative outcomes every time.

It's the governments job to ensure we don't get in this mess in the first place. They have been aware of problems for months now yet Grant Shapps was yesterday still not allowing more lorry drivers into the country despite the fact concert cellists and ballerinas are in demand!!

The problem with this government is that their reputation precedes them. If they told me tomorrow was Saturday I'd be expecting to watch the final episode of Vigil tomorrow instead!!

Have I filled up, yes I have. As a driving instructor I obviously need fuel. I have tests next week so vital I have a tankful when I can because if it runs out and i can't fill up those pupils lose those test slots and you can't get another for about 6 months!! If there was a shortage and I didn't have tests then I would just cancel the lessons and have a week off.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I bumped into my mate Tim earlier outside the GAK store in Brighton, he was emptying the shop of all its stock, cramming drums of all sizes Into his van in a state of near hysteria! Tympanic buying at its worst.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You and everyone else SHOULD have just bought fuel as you normally would, and everything would have been fine.

Although your reasons for panicking are valid... surely more valid than most people queuing as we speak... you are a panic buyer and you have contributed to the problem.

Why should anyone listen to you? After all, you've previously claimed the pandemic is over!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
some facts dont need to be shared. the "fact" was BP said they had a handful (their words) of forecourts close due to lorry driver shortage. BBC ran the story as a petrol shortage, because of lorry driver shortage, a handfull of forecourts closed. do you see the difference and impact? they shouldnt be allowed to report like that, and when they know the likely response, not report the issue at all. then the tabloids go to work and we have media induced panic is guaranteed.

encourage everyone to write to their MP for change to law that media may not report on speculation or local supply shortages at national level. it doesnt have any anything positive and leads to massively negative outcomes every time.

:facepalm:

This utter shit show is down to MPs, they run your country….allegedly. Writing a letter won’t solve anything. Booting them out of parliament will.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Love the suggestion that everyone buying fuel at the moment is panic buying. Especially love the ones on Twitter claiming they can't get any because other people are buying it. Obviously some people are being dicks and brimming but probably most are people who would have bought today anyway or would have had to fill up in the next few days and if they don't get it now, might struggle to get to work. Not the same as buying dozens of toilet rolls to put in the spare room.

Take it you've filled up today :)

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'll get some some day soon. If not, I'll use the other car. If that runs out as well, I'll phone the boss and say can't get in. Too old for all this crap

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's my genuine hope that one of these queuing bellends has gone out because they are on fumes and burnt off the fumes in the queue, with the resulting breakdown keeping all the other queuing cars stationary until the RAC can find a way to rescue him.

Bonus points if they're all Brexiteers.

Ah Brexit.

Mrs T tells me that all the petrol queuers (there's a words to not spell incorrectly :eek:) were old white males, and there was a faint whiff of pork in the air :mad::drool:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Im certainly not saying the government haven't ****ed up in planning however the simple truth is there is NO FUEL SHORTAGE, only a very few petrol stations are closed due to lack of drivers, and that has been the case for a few weeks. The AA have said that "thousands of forecourts are operating normally with just a few suffering from temporary supply chain problems" they go on to say that this has been the case for a few weeks with basically no one noticing, and its a manageable problem. There are about 8300 petrol stations in the UK with about 1% closed

Its only because the BBC and others sent out breaking news alerts ans media headelines screaming petrol stations closed that has caused a minor problem to escalate.

What difference if the BBC and the Sun and Mail had put the headline 8000 out of 8300 stations open as usual and receiving normal deliveries in big bold headlines. Would all the muppets topping up their cars with £7.50 worth of petrol still have done so?

There are massive issue facing the transport system at the moment , running out of fuel wasn't one of them till the media decided to make it one

But you can't keep shooting the messenger, nor acting surprised that the Sun prints its headlines the way it does.

The fact is that this story was in the media four months ago in a non - sensationalised way, and the government did nothing. Its taken a dramatic news cycle to finally kick their butts into gear, but it's pathetic that they're following the headlines and not the underlying truths which were known yonks ago.

And the fact that this was predicted ages ago, and had come to pass exactly as predicted, suggests to me that this is the tip of the iceberg and things will only get worse.

Quite frankly, we shouldn't be in a situation where 1% of forecourts closed because of driver shortages is considered normal and fine, and if the government are doing bugger all about it then I'm pleased the media have brought it to everyone's attention, clearly the kick up the butt this lot need to, you know, actually run the country for the benefit of its citizens.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Quite frankly, we shouldn't be in a situation where 1% of forecourts closed because of driver shortages is considered normal and fine, and if the government are doing bugger all about it then I'm pleased the media have brought it to everyone's attention, clearly the kick up the butt this lot need to, you know, actually run the country for the benefit of its citizens.

suggesting media deliberatly sensationalisd minor situation to trigger response?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But you can't keep shooting the messenger, nor acting surprised that the Sun prints its headlines the way it does.

The fact is that this story was in the media four months ago in a non - sensationalised way, and the government did nothing. Its taken a dramatic news cycle to finally kick their butts into gear, but it's pathetic that they're following the headlines and not the underlying truths which were known yonks ago.

And the fact that this was predicted ages ago, and had come to pass exactly as predicted, suggests to me that this is the tip of the iceberg and things will only get worse.

Extremely restrained :thumbsup:

It was hardly unexpected was it, but it's always someone else's fault :facepalm:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

but the point is 1% is normal and fine- my husband run petrol stations for years, on any given day a few garages in his area would run out due to late deliveries, driver illness or some such. No one is saying the government have tackled the lorry driver shortage properly- that is a **** up of monumental proportions, we all saw it coming. What we are saying is this "fuel crisis" has been manufactured by the media badly reporting and then the usual ****wits panic buying - an no I dont consider those needing to fill up because they have to get to hospita, or work, or various other reasons panic buying. I do consider a lot of people filling up simply because they are 3/4 full the problem

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Just did an 11-mile Tour de Petrol Stations run (on foot) around Worthing...

Esso, Arundel Road - open with a short queue
Tesco, Durrington - open with a long queue
Harvest, Goring - open with a long queue
Co-op Durrington - open with a long queue
Esso/Tesco, North Star - out of fuel
Shell, Broadwater - out of fuel
Jet, A24 - out of fuel
BP/M&S, Findon - out of fuel

Fancy a jog up here? Or tell me to jog on?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
some facts dont need to be shared. the "fact" was BP said they had a handful (their words) of forecourts close due to lorry driver shortage. BBC ran the story as a petrol shortage, because of lorry driver shortage, a handfull of forecourts closed. do you see the difference and impact? they shouldnt be allowed to report like that, and when they know the likely response, not report the issue at all. then the tabloids go to work and we have media induced panic is guaranteed. .

IMO this story had not been sensationalised or engineered to cause a frenzy and has been presented factually.

Arguably it should have been hushed up as it was obvious that this would be the result, but that's a very slippery slope

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here