Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Timing of player acquisitions is important as well as quality. Surely, we should have learnt our lesson after last summer's shambles of a window, but maybe not? I can't believe there are still people on here preaching patience. How long have we know the gaps in our squad? I would say at least since late Dec last year. There is therefore zero excuse for going into the season with a half-baked squad, as it appears we are going to do.

Ideally we'd have our best starting 11 in place; realistically it never happens that way for anyone before the end of the window. Seems that we are pursuing Marshall, but we can't force them to accept our offer(s) if they don't want to sell until the last few days of the window.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Permanent signings of quality are proving difficult which is unsurprising for a side who frankly deserved to be close to relegation last season but a lot of clubs appear to have tied up season long loans of players from the EPL while we wait......... And wait.......... And wait.

In the meanwhile the shape of our season may well be determined by the end of August (again) and not in any good way (again).

I'm not despondent yet but I'm already beginning to feel sorry for the marketing men trying to re-sell 1901 memberships for next year.
Never mind (and I genuinely mean this). With Tilley coming through and the prospect of having to turn to Hambo and Harper, probably in desperation, before Christmas there is still hope that we might turn it round. Let's hope for happy surprises to come :thumbsup:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Permanent signings of quality are proving difficult which is unsurprising for a side who frankly deserved to be close to relegation last season but a lot of clubs appear to have tied up season long loans of players from the EPL while we wait......... And wait.......... And wait.

In the meanwhile the shape of our season may well be determined by the end of August (again) and not in any good way (again).

I'm not despondent yet but I'm already beginning to feel sorry for the marketing men trying to re-sell 1901 memberships for next year.
Never mind (and I genuinely mean this). With Tilley coming through and the prospect of having to turn to Hambo and Harper, probably in desperation, before Christmas there is still hope that we might turn it round. Let's hope for happy surprises to come :thumbsup:

Following a club is nothing without hope..however slim

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Timing of player acquisitions is important as well as quality. Surely, we should have learnt our lesson after last summer's shambles of a window, but maybe not? I can't believe there are still people on here preaching patience. How long have we know the gaps in our squad? I would say at least since late Dec last year. There is therefore zero excuse for going into the season with a half-baked squad, as it appears we are going to do.

Can you not see that there are several issues that the club have to contend with?

- the end of the transfer window falls after the season starts
- quality costs money of which many clubs have a lot more than we do
- quality players will hold out for the best deal they can find (see end of transfer window)
- we do not have a very good record when signing expensive players (indeed you expressed surprise the other day when we upped our offer of 2.5m for Ben Marshall)

So there are a few reasons (excuses if you want to call them that). And at least we will not be starting the first game of the season with Chicksen and Fenelon in the starting line up (barring multiple injuries in our last warm up game of course), so I would say 3/4 baked rather than half-baked.

But I think you know all of this already, so carry on :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Can you not see that there are several issues that the club have to contend with?

- quality players will hold out for the best deal they can find (see end of transfer window)
- we do not have a very good record when signing expensive players (indeed you expressed surprise the other day when we upped our offer of 2.5m for Ben Marshall)

So there are a few reasons (excuses if you want to call them that). And at least we will not be starting the first game of the season with Chicksen and Fenelon in the starting line up (barring multiple injuries in our last warm up game of course), so I would say 3/4 baked rather than half-baked.

Oh please no

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

- quality players will hold out for the best deal they can find (see end of transfer window)- we do not have a very good record when signing expensive players (indeed you expressed surprise the other day when we upped our offer of 2.5m for Ben Marshall)

This is the key. We are not an attractive proposition for premier league aspiring players anymore following last season. So they wait to see if a better offer comes along, both club and money. Would you prefer for us to end up going for our 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice option just so that we have someone in before the start of the season or wait for the potential quality that could change the team significantly?

The real issue is that the transfer window closes after the season starts. Ridiculous.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm taking the thread title change as an indication of positive news to come, here's hoping. I'd be delighted with Vaz Te if that were ever to come off, flair.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This is the key. We are not an attractive proposition for premier league aspiring players anymore following last season. So they wait to see if a better offer comes along, both club and money. Would you prefer for us to end up going for our 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice option just so that we have someone in before the start of the season or wait for the potential quality that could change the team significantly?

The real issue is that the transfer window closes after the season starts. Ridiculous.
I

I think we are still an attractive proposition (Rosenior could not get here here fast enough and we would not have signed the two wonderkids otherwise, plus rumours are that Marshall wants to come to us) - the issue for many will be money, as always. But yes, the transfer window ending after season start is just silly.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I

I think we are still an attractive proposition (Rosenior could not get here here fast enough and we would not have signed the two wonderkids otherwise, plus rumours are that Marshall wants to come to us) - the issue for many will be money, as always. But yes, the transfer window ending after season start is just silly.

Yes I think we are an attractive proposition to the footballer at the beginning or the tail end of their career, e.g. someone like Rosenior who has said he hopes we will be a pathway to develop himself as a coach due to the infrastructure.
Unfortunately the player that people on here want us to sign is the 25 year old border line premier league star that is harder for us to attract.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Jeez talk about got out the wrong side of the bed!

Do you honestly think it's easy making signings? Do you think they go into a transfer shop, pick out who they want pay for them and la de la there's your new signing?

I think you (and others) tend to forget it's not just up to us is it. There's also the player and the other club involved, if they are playing hard to get, what can we do? Do you really want us to pay over the top to get someone who is actually not worth the money we paid for him? Wouldn't the "fans" get on the Managers back if they don't play well and start singing "what a waste of money"

#rant over

Doesn't really explain why others seem further down the line though does it?

Reading? Brentford? Birmingham? Derby?

The last 3 not benefiting from parachute payments.

Having been involved in a similar process albeit a different sport, I do have some idea, and dealing with non-EU players and agents make things as challenging, as do work permits.

However our research was done and we never went into the season, hoping for a last minute bargain. If we couldn't agree terms we went to the next one.

I hear all this we've done our research BS all the time, well we're pretty poor because Buckley left last year and we still haven't replaced him.

I am usually patient but this just poor.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes please although Hull and Sheffield Wednesday are after him and have much more spending power.

Portuguese so Sheff Weds will be his preference, assuming they are interested. Seems all our targets are also wanted by them this season.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Reports today we are after Ricardo Vaz Te.

This would sell a few hundred extra shirts.

Ricardo Vaz Te
Date of birth - 1 October 1986 (age 28)
Place of birth - Lisbon, Portugal
Height - 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Playing position - Forward

2003–2010 Bolton Wanderers 58 (3)
2007 → Hull City (loan) 6 (0)
2010–2011 Panionios 8 (1)
2011 Hibernian 10 (1)
2011–2012 Barnsley 22 (10)
2012–2015 West Ham United 51 (15)
2015– Akhisar Belediyespor 14 (5)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Where is Chaileyjem to sell us the official line?

Personally this is piss poor. I can only think we are waiting (and by god I hope this means have lined up) one or two LONG TERM loans.

We DESPERATELY need two or three IN FORM, FIT, ATTACKING players along with another centre back. MINIMUM

Pull the ****ing finger out guys, looks like all contracted players are now here, which in my book is a crock of shit. Missed the boat again. Esp if the above does not happen. Call me a bedwetter. Dont care.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Spot on. Absoilutely ****ing spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here