Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Let’s get realistic here. Smug Eddie has said that he expects Lewis Grabban to leave in the January window. We MIGHT be able to afford him this time? No talk of it and you know how we do things under the radar :wink:

Similar type player to Baldock so if there is no place for Sam on Mondays team perhaps worth a look but one would say if he isnt good enough for smug Eddie why should he be for us although they do have a better line up and choice of strikers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The top goal scorers in Spanish Secunda Division, which is where I believe we got Ulloa are:

Jamie Matie Real Valladolid 18 goals
Sergi Guardiola Cordoba 12 goals
Michael Santos Sporting Gijon 10 goals
Juan Hernandez Huesca 10 goals
Gonzalez Metero Huesca 10 goals

Would any of them be realistic and fit the bill.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What I do not understand is why we are still looking and negotiating for a striker surely that should have been done during September/October/November.
Who's to say we weren't doing that all through September/October/November?

Its called "Plan B".
Is this the mysterious Plan B that is conspicuous by its absence on match days? I was wondering where it had been hiding...............

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is possible but if so why have we not signed them to be available for a run out tomorrow.

Well, let's see. One (or more) didn't want to come to Brighton. Some wanted to stay where they were. In some cases their present club refused to sell. In other cases, a fee could not be agreed. Plus a few greedy agents who wouldn't let their boys sign up without a £1M gratuity up front. Take your pick from any, or all of those. And with a little imagination you could add at least another half dozen reasons, I guess, before coming to the conclusion that the recruitment team just didn't do anything.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, let's see. One (or more) didn't want to come to Brighton. Some wanted to stay where they were. In some cases their present club refused to sell. In other cases, a fee could not be agreed. Plus a few greedy agents who wouldn't let their boys sign up without a £1M gratuity up front. Take your pick from any, or all of those. And with a little imagination you could add at least another half dozen reasons, I guess, before coming to the conclusion that the recruitment team just didn't do anything.

Some have a couple of offers so waiting near the end of the window to decide which one to accept, some waiting for their club to get their replacement in before they can be released, but according to BG, it's all so simple.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some have a couple of offers so waiting near the end of the window to decide which one to accept, some waiting for their club to get their replacement in before they can be released, but according to BG, it's all so simple.
It was never difficult when the Sussex & Surrey FA were involved.
You don't need me to explain the similarities between moving a left back from Sidley to Hassocks and a £20m deal involving multiple countries, representation, associations and extensive contract details.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fully accept that there are many things to be sorted but why can they not have been sorted and agreed as we did with Tim Krul. and Liverpool did with VVD and apparently Liverpool and Barcelona have done with Coutiinho .granted the fee is greater but the principal is the same.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
I seem to remember reading that one potential transfer fell through in the summer simply because the players wife didn't want to move and upheave the family. There's always more to consider.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I fully accept that there are many things to be sorted but why can they not have been sorted and agreed as we did with Tim Krul. and Liverpool did with VVD and apparently Liverpool and Barcelona have done with Coutiinho .granted the fee is greater but the principal is the same.

Because Tim Krul was already on loan (and before that joined us at about 9pm on deadline day!). VVD has been chased by Liverpool for 9 months (as Coutinho) and both players were desperate to join those clubs. Anyone coming to us is likely to have better suitors if they wait around.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Similar type player to Baldock so if there is no place for Sam on Mondays team perhaps worth a look but one would say if he isnt good enough for smug Eddie why should he be for us although they do have a better line up and choice of strikers.

Glenn Murray

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Because Tim Krul was already on loan (and before that joined us at about 9pm on deadline day!). VVD has been chased by Liverpool for 9 months (as Coutinho) and both players were desperate to join those clubs. Anyone coming to us is likely to have better suitors if they wait around.

As I read it Tim Krul came on loan because we wasnt able to do the permanent deal in time for the close of the window.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
As I read it Tim Krul came on loan because we wasnt able to do the permanent deal in time for the close of the window.

Either that or NC tactically stopped us from bringing him on a permanent so that we'd end up using both of our PL loan slots, meanwhile they could have gone for a last minute loan striker

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Either that or NC tactically stopped us from bringing him on a permanent so that we'd end up using both of our PL loan slots, meanwhile they could have gone for a last minute loan striker

Did I read on another thread that you are quite young? Perhaps you could leave such cynicism to us old ‘uns :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I seem to remember reading that one potential transfer fell through in the summer simply because the players wife didn't want to move and upheave the family. There's always more to consider.

I think that was Khouma Babacar.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Agree with this. I am worried we are following our failed strategy of the summer. i.e. a list of players that we pursue in preference order. Then as medicals fail, player doesn't want to come or money issues we go down the list until the last day of window and sign nobody. The preferred way surely is to be negotiating pre window, as Liverpool and Virgil, and sign up on the first couple of days of window..

Oh well, shows my naievity!!!

I'm sure our recruitment team have done their due diligence and put in the hard work. There are so many variables however, one in particular being MONEY. We could have any player almost of our choice if we were to blow the entire budget on one individual, but thats not our way or the way of the chairman and his management team. There is no golden bullet, so its peristroika (proceed with caution) and get a deal. I'm happy with our club so far and if we drop I will still be happy that we have not bought into the current trend of money for nothing. Lets all hold ur nerve and see what happens. Whatever the outcome I expect the current players to stand up and be counted.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The problem we have is getting players better than the ones we already have to join us. We might want them, but they might not want to join us, or their current clubs might not want to sell them to us.

We could probably persuade Jordan Rhodes or Naki Wells to join us for say £15m to £20m each on high wages, but they wouldn't get into our first team.

Just has to be done, but I can the club going for 'value' from abroad and/or UK loanees.

It's either that, or relegation is a real possibility.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here