Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
See now that Andy Naylor during a twitter conversation is saying that Delaney may be beyond our financial power since he current club have no need to sell. Disappointed but no surprise I guess.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
See now that Andy Naylor during a twitter conversation is saying that Delaney may be beyond our financial power since he current club have no need to sell. Disappointed but no surprise I guess.

We're doomed!

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
No because all of us deserve respect regardless of their opinion. Calling someone you don't know "a clown" is unnecessary. He's also worth listening to re: transfers because he , barring a couple of NSC contributors is one of the few journalists with an established relationship with PB, CH , etc. When he reports that the club aren't interested, he's asked someone who knows.

Of course he's called it wrong a couple of times Transfers are moving feasts. And even then he's reported it as it was at the time (e.g.: Zamora, CMS).
But mostly because he's seen and worked on virtually every Albion game in the last 30 games , home, away, Gillingham, Withdean, friendlies, the lot. And supports Stoke City. He's suffered enough.

Don't want to be "that guy" but the CMS situation is not as you recall. Andy had been on holiday and his first day back was when CMS was actually signing as had been reported on here, twitter etc. He scoffed at it because there were clubs like WHU and Leicester interested.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
How about this Baldock stat ? Injured post Leeds. He Didn't play for next 5 games. We won the lot and were promoted. Obviously we struggled in doing so. :)

Fair point CJ, but you cannot seriously be saying that:
(a) Before last season started, we could expect Sam B to perform as well as he did last season, based on his mediocre previous season efforts.
(b) Just after last season's summer transfer window closed, we were definitely looking like we were going to finish in the top 2.
Firstly, IIRC, you were, like me, disappointed that we had not signed another striker.
Secondly, if you predicted an auto promotion place back then, then I'm happy to say well done, but I would say you were in a tiny minority.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No because all of us deserve respect regardless of their opinion. Calling someone you don't know "a clown" is unnecessary. He's also worth listening to re: transfers because he , barring a couple of NSC contributors is one of the few journalists with an established relationship with PB, CH , etc. When he reports that the club aren't interested, he's asked someone who knows.

Of course he's called it wrong a couple of times Transfers are moving feasts. And even then he's reported it as it was at the time (e.g.: Zamora, CMS).
But mostly because he's seen and worked on virtually every Albion game in the last 30 games , home, away, Gillingham, Withdean, friendlies, the lot. And supports Stoke City. He's suffered enough.

Are you one of his mates? Seriously, I think we could do a lot better... the sooner he heads back to the Potteries, the better IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
While I am not arguing that we need a new striker, I think that Pascal Groß could be our Sam B replacement. I think what the club will be looking for is a new main striker for Groß to play off.

TBH I've had similar thoughts on this, maybe expecting a 4-4-1-1 more often than not... we shall see...

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
(a) Before last season started, we could expect Sam B to perform as well as he did last season, based on his mediocre previous season efforts.
(b) Just after last season's summer transfer window closed, we were definitely looking like we were going to finish in the top 2.
Firstly, IIRC, you were, like me, disappointed that we had not signed another striker.
Secondly, if you predicted an auto promotion place back then, then I'm happy to say well done, but I would say you were in a tiny minority.

I'm not sure why some were so pessimistic about our chances at the end of the window last summer. I felt we were in with a good chance of auto promotion because:

- We had added quality in crucial areas in the form of Murray & Duffy
- We had Knockaert for a full season
- We held on to Stephens and the rest of the squad that went so close the season before
- Hughton was still there

I do get that we gambled some what on the striker front, but the quality we had for me was not in question and that we had stability from the year before which is more than most of the "contenders" could say.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Are you one of his mates? Seriously, I think we could do a lot better... the sooner he heads back to the Potteries, the better IMHO...
I think he is good, he responds on Twitter and email, he does have a relationship with the club,... he just refuses to ask the hard questions when required. Perhaps he doesn't want to jeopardise his press room privileges ( life on expenses)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Never met him but think local and national football reporting and the press are always worth supporting. And value his reporting, tweets, and features about the club. And thus will call out those who insult him or others who get unjustified grief for just trying to do their jobs.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
we do get some good players with our scouting, but we are always notoriously slow. Huddersfield with 3 weeks less and allegedly, smaller budget than us are getting their targets across the line and already have bagged more than double our 2 new recruits, whereas we get stories about existing players and all is quiet. same old same old

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure why some were so pessimistic about our chances at the end of the window last summer. I felt we were in with a good chance of auto promotion because:

- We had added quality in crucial areas in the form of Murray & Duffy
- We had Knockaert for a full season
- We held on to Stephens and the rest of the squad that went so close the season before
- Hughton was still there

I do get that we gambled some what on the striker front, but the quality we had for me was not in question and that we had stability from the year before which is more than most of the "contenders" could say.

Fair enough, I bow to your optimism at the time, later proved justified... I'm just more of a worrier, I guess...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I wasn't but being a boring pedant on here , i lived up to my reputation and rebutted the OP who had said we would struggle without Baldock and the stats back it up so i provided some stats that illustrated that they didn't.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He didn't come from the Potteries in the first place.

Well, I think he should complete a pilgrimage back to the land of his forefathers! :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think he is good, he responds on Twitter and email, he does have a relationship with the club,... he just refuses to ask the hard questions when required. Perhaps he doesn't want to jeopardise his press room privileges ( life on expenses)

If the latter is true, then he is not doing his job properly IMHO...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Never met him but think local and national football reporting and the press are always worth supporting. And value his reporting, tweets, and features about the club. And thus will call out those who insult him or others who get unjustified grief for just trying to do their jobs.

Even if they don't do it well? Hmmm... can't agree... I don't rate Cantor either BTW! :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't want to be "that guy" but the CMS situation is not as you recall. Andy had been on holiday and his first day back was when CMS was actually signing as had been reported on here, twitter etc. He scoffed at it because there were clubs like WHU and Leicester interested.

scoffed ?

cmsnaylor.png

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hi Tony, I think you may have to spend a bit more than you were expecting to ensure a reasonable chance of survival in the top flight... what do you want to do?

Tony: Go for it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here