Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not sure he had a lot of choice after he arrived with the injuries, shot confidence and precarious league position - one (and only I think) objective was to stay up, which he did a bit easier than I expected in the end. Big test this season though.

I agree that confidence was an issue, but I don't think he helped the cause there. In taking a side that had showed they were good enough to play really well against Leeds and Ipswich, and setting them up at places like Rotherham and Wigan to sit back and try not to lose, was pretty much telling them that they WERE shit. He should have been telling them they were great, and to go and attack those teams.

All will pan out over the next couple of months. Recruitment is the key of course. Good players win football matches. Winning teams grow. It's really that simple.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree that confidence was an issue, but I don't think he helped the cause there. In taking a side that had showed they were good enough to play really well against Leeds and Ipswich, and setting them up at places like Rotherham and Wigan to sit back and try not to lose, was pretty much telling them that they WERE shit. He should have been telling them they were great, and to go and attack those teams.

All will pan out over the next couple of months. Recruitment is the key of course. Good players win football matches. Winning teams grow. It's really that simple.

They were both 6 pointers and we had to try to avoid defeat. Luckily things went our way.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Oh well thanks a lot. I had managed to erase Rotherham from my mind. Cheers. :nono:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hughton actually inherited a team that was going through an upturn, courtesy of Nathan. His first month or two was encouraging; it was what followed that which wasn't. Here, I'm not just referring to the results, but also the paucity of goals at either end but especially ours (how many did we manage in the last ten games?), the number of decent chances created, and the number of our players that made it into the opposition penalty area and, at times, half of the pitch. So it seems as though Hughton's brief spell here replicates both his attacking days at Birmingham and Newcastle, and negative borefests of Norwich.
What will happen next season?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Seems those purporting to have an inside track are now suggesting that rather than "2 early this week" it is now "2 by the Crawley game"
I don't even know when that is but it ain't imminent

If this pre season has shown anything surely it is that nobody has an inside track. Yes, Maenppa was predicted but Rosenior, Hemed and Bong weren't predicted until about an hour before they happened.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hughton actually inherited a team that was going through an upturn, courtesy of Nathan. His first month or two was encouraging; it was what followed that which wasn't. Here, I'm not just referring to the results, but also the paucity of goals at either end but especially ours (how many did we manage in the last ten games?), the number of decent chances created, and the number of our players that made it into the opposition penalty area and, at times, half of the pitch. So it seems as though Hughton's brief spell here replicates both his attacking days at Birmingham and Newcastle, and negative borefests of Norwich.
What will happen next season?

In fairness, losing Baldock and, to a lesser extent, March left us very short of attacking players. We were terrible over the last month of the season but there were clear reasons for this. Hopefully the fans give Hughton a clean slate now he's been able to bring in a couple of players and work with the players over a pre season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Number of 'embargoed until X:00pm' emails received today: none.

Ok I am in the bed wetting camp by nature. I admit it. BUT one month til the first game of the season, 3 weeks until our last friendly ( I think) - it's all creeping up and we haven't (IMHO) made nearly enough signings. Especially in the goal scoring dept.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Heard a rumour we've enquired about Daniel Pudil as a possible wide man, although we've yet to officially table a bid.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Heard a rumour we've enquired about Daniel Pudil as a possible wide man, although we've yet to officially table a bid.

Decent player can play full back and wide but, if rumours are to be believed, we have made enquiries about Marshall and possibly this guy. Shouldn't we be a little further down the line than enquiries with 3 weeks to go and this and striker being absolutely key positions. Good start to recruitment but the important bit is still to come and it needs to be sooner

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyone who seriously judges Hughton on what happened the last couple of months of last season, when his already limited attacking options were affected by injuries to March and Baldock, is being very unfair. There were good games in the first few months e.g. Ipswich and Leeds but he had seriously poor resources and being defensive was probably the best approach.

To be honest, your constant moaning about Hughton suggests to me that you'd be really happy if he failed. Why not give him a chance rather than slagging him off every time you can (especially as usually you're quite a sensible poster on here and not one of the reactionary ones).

Exactly, give the bloke a chance. Last season he kept us up, in spite of what he had inherited.

It wasn't great, but it got the job done.

He needs to be judged come November/December, not July.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here