Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Granted Keane is 36 but people are forgetting he is still a very good player, he has always scored goals at every level and has vast experience much Like Bobby with far less injury issues.

Look at Keane's goal record, its frightening to be honest. A top top player and as an option to keep Baldock on his toes and replace him when required for the next 4 months if nothing else presents itself would be no bad thing.

He's also not a billy big bollox like many players who have achieved what he has in the game.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I absolutely agree with you, and I think that's partly the conundrum the January window throws up. It's a really tricky one this window specifically for us because it's not as if something's broken that needs fixing, we just need supplementing. So I think it depends on whether we're going to go big time on signing someone to replace Baldock, or signing someone to 'challenge' him ie accept they will be on the bench to start. Depending on which way you lean influences your thoughts on the type of signing we should be making, I think.

I lean towards the latter because I think going forward we've been very good this year, and I'd be wary of disrupting that chemistry. For me, Murray and Baldock starting the rest of the season up front is an ideal scenario. We should bring someone in to come on at the end of games, or for use in squad rotation, or in case of injury. I'd be looking at people that are currently playing bit part roles, if at all (but more than Keane has recently, and a younger, quicker, fitter version!). People like Hooper (as above), Fletcher of West Ham, Frazier Campbell at Palace - people that aren't playing enough and are at risk of not featuring at all given squad's being strengthened in January. People that play on the last shoulder and can stretch teams the other way. Someone like Ashley Barnes if Burnley brought a couple in!

We're really not far apart. I'm of the view that, in all probability, we need to get someone for the rest of this season, which points towards a PL loan or Keane. If you read back what you say in this post, Keane seems to fit the bill pretty well. I do agree that we wouldn't want to rely him starting regularly, but he could start a few, and there'd be sufficient time to get him up-to-speed (given his age, that might be the wrong phrase) as all of our strikers are fit at present.
There are PL youngsters that we might even be able to negotiate them staying here for next season if we get promoted, and that ought to be a selling-point (if we do go up, I suspect we'd need one PL loan youngster). If Fletcher is that good, he might be the one for this (Solanke? cheeky undermining of Abraham's loan at Brizzle?)
The other option is to bring someone in (probably from Europe) with a longer view in mind.
I do get your point about Keane being good if two come in, but if two do come in, I suspect we'd be after an ACM-type (Zach Clough?), but as to the Baldock Brentford leg-break scenario, you could make the same case for Murray doing that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Granted Keane is 36 but people are forgetting he is still a very good player, he has always scored goals at every level and has vast experience much Like Bobby with far less injury issues.

Look at Keane's goal record, its frightening to be honest. A top top player and as an option to keep Baldock on his toes and replace him when required for the next 4 months if nothing else presents itself would be no bad thing.

He's also not a billy big bollox like many players who have achieved what he has in the game.

I'd add this to my other posts too.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

Clearly all that's true. However I think the issue most people want addressed in this window is, what if something happens to Baldock long term. That worst case scenario involves his replacement playing the majority of minutes in, say, 10-15 games. I really don't think we can have any confidence that Keane has that left in him. Particularly since a key part of our system is Baldock pressing their defense very high up the pitch. As a 5th striker, I'd take him in a heartbeat. As THE answer in this window, for me he doesn't give us what we need.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Clearly all that's true. However I think the issue most people want addressed in this window is, what if something happens to Baldock long term. That worst case scenario involves his replacement playing the majority of minutes in, say, 10-15 games. I really don't think we can have any confidence that Keane has that left in him. Particularly since a key part of our system is Baldock pressing their defense very high up the pitch. As a 5th striker, I'd take him in a heartbeat. As THE answer in this window, for me he doesn't give us what we need.

So who do you suggest will fill the spot better taking into account cost.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
So who do you suggest will fill the spot better taking into account cost.

I had a stab at answering this earlier, it's really not an easy one. My preferred option would be a loan of someone who is currently a bit part player, or who might fall out of favour completely should their club strengthen in this window. People in this category would include the likes of Fletcher of West Ham, Frazier Campbell of Palace, Ashley Barnes if Burnley get people in. That type of player in that type of situation. I'd imagine serial horders like Watford might have people as well (Sinclair has been mentioned before).

Other options would be having to sign someone on a perm but that's difficult because you'll pay over the odds given its Jan, and they'll be tied in longer term when better options might be available in the summer. So I'd try and avoid that where possible.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

IF something happened to Baldock long term.... and IF Keane could not play in every game, then we have Hemed to partner Murray, it really was not as bad as people made out, or play Murphy/Knockaert in as the no10, again not ideal but we cant have 3 players for every position and keep people happy realistically.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
IF something happened to Baldock long term.... and IF Keane could not play in every game, then we have Hemed to partner Murray, it really was not as bad as people made out, or play Murphy/Knockaert in as the no10, again not ideal but we cant have 3 players for every position and keep people happy realistically.

Which is exactly why I wouldn't want Keane - get someone in who can do the whole job, and we wouldn't have 3 for the position or need to play Hemed and Murray together.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Perhaps Bournemouth would let us have another of their chaps on loan? Max Gradel. Away at the African Nations Cup at present but that's only a couple of weeks. "He's a winger though" I hear you suggest. Can play the number 10 role no problem and had a decent goals to games ratio at both Leeds and St Etienne.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Perhaps Bournemouth would let us have another of their chaps on loan? Max Gradel. Away at the African Nations Cup at present but that's only a couple of weeks. "He's a winger though" I hear you suggest. Can play the number 10 role no problem and had a decent goals to games ratio at both Leeds and St Etienne.

Watford and Burnley reportedly interested in him, and Bournemouth want £7m....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't know why we can't tempt Barnes back from Burnley

Because he regularly starts for them in the Prem?
Because he's on Prem wages?
Because they are secure in the Prem for at least another season?
Because he knows he'd get BOOOOOOOOOOOOOED by an intellectually subnormal section of our fanbase?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"Bong out to Skalak, who crosses into the path of Barnes -

GGOOOOAAAAALLLLLLL"

"Just listen to what that goal means to the Albion fans"

"BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"Oh I wasn't expecting that".

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Hughton saying if we did any business, it would be late on in the window...

Keeps reiterating IF!!! worrying.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hughton saying if we did any business, it would be late on in the window...

Keeps reiterating IF!!! worrying.

I wouldn't worry too much for the time being, after all this is Chris' 'I've just signed Lionel Messi', face:-

skysports-chris-hughton_3863298.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here