Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Theme park/day out - Advice please

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
I've got a long weekend off in September and want to take our 16month old boy for a day out to a theme park. We aren't sure which would be best given his age and height will restrict the number of things he can go on.

We were thinking Legoland or Chessington (Thorpe Park might be too grown up for him). Which would you recommend, or is there another place we can visit?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If he's 16 months old he will like Paultons Park or Drusillas rather than being hurled along a 100MPH on Stealth or the Vampire.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Been to Paultons Park a few times ("its a HOOT HOOT"). Very easy to get to, its right next to Junction 2 of the M27 so a piece of piss to find. Its not got the massive, spectacular rides of Alton Towers, but if you're taking a toddler I guess thats not what you're after anyway. Lots of smaller rides and kids shows. And each time I've been, its not been absolutely heaving either.

Nice park.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I remember when I was a wee lad Chessington was the one for older kids and Thorpe Park was was the younger ones.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I was going to start about Thorpe PArk, whats it like? Havent been there in 15 years but I've been told it was great and may have it as part of the bank holiday weekend plans

I took my 13n year old lad there the other week. If you dont mind getting drenched, fleeced and scared to death you'll love it!

Seriously, the rides are excellent but the queues are looooooong, I'd invest in a quick pass ticket which is extra but puts you near the front for the biggest rides...Stealth is awesome 0-80 in 2 seconds!

nlf

Mar 24, 2008
I would go with chessington as they have a whole section for the the little ones, from what i remember there isnt much for that age range at legoland and costs far more to get in

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Took my lads to Paulton's Park when they were younger and they loved it.

It's also never stupidly busy that you have to queue for ages.

Wouldn't take him to any of the main ones as the rides will be too old for him.

Playing On The Grit

Twitter: @leighjcooper
Apr 2, 2008
Took my lads to Paulton's Park when they were younger and they loved it.

It's also never stupidly busy that you have to queue for ages.

Wouldn't take him to any of the main ones as the rides will be too old for him.

I'm leaning away from Legoland now and it's between Paultons Park and Chessington.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I used to LOVE Paulton's Park when I was younger.

It's sort of a progression

Paulton's > Chessington > Thorpe Park

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I have always gone to Chessington since I was a young un and have been taking my children there for the last few years. But last friday I took them and ended up having quite a disheartening experience.
There was one incident which left a really sour taste in my mouth, while sitting down with my 2 year old daughter (while she was asleep) I over heard an argument between a group of black girls and a white couple. The woman of the white couple was shouting for the other girls to be thrown outta the park for (from what I could make out) pushing past their child and not appologising.
Then no sooner had that died down a bit, one of the girls from the group turned on a balloon seller! Ripping loadsa balloons outta her hands and letting them fly off, she then launched herself at the balloon seller hurtling her into a phone box and carried on attacking her. Just as I thought I better go and try and stop this shit, thankfully security turned up!
Its meant to be a family day out and all I felt was a lot of bad attitude from a lot of people. Maybe I just went on an off day, but its put me off enough never to return, which is ashame as I have spent many a good time there!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Paulton's Park DEFO

Agree with your 'progression' although I would add that Alton Towers is the ultimate in this country

Agreed... we had a FANTASTIC day out at Alton Towers on the Sunday after the Crewe game... bad weather early in the morning kept the crowds down... and it was awesome.

For one so young, I would definitely go with Paulton's Park or maybe Chessington. Thorpe Park had definitely gone for the teenager maket in recent years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here