Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Them not giving the ball back...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Actually I think most Ref's tell players to pass it back - I have seen that happen many times

Shouldn’t have to but either way if they choose to ignore that it’s still very poor. He can’t enforce anything by the laws of the game though.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Much as it was annoying to be a man down, I can't agree that United should have kicked it out. It seems to have crept into the game over the last twenty years or so that play is constantly stopped for injuries, which in 99% of cases are not injuries which require urgent treatment (if any treatment at all). I'm fed up with players staying down when the opposition has the ball, and demanding play be stopped. It disrupts the game, and it's happening for lesser and lesser ailments. I

If a referee fears an injury is serious, or it's a head injury, or a player is in a position which is clearly an issue (such as lying in the middle of the goal) he can stop play. The current state of affairs simply encourages players to stay down when they don't need to, usually when their opponents have the ball. They can always just wait for the next stoppage, or limp theatrically off to the sidelines for thirty seconds if they really do want a hug and a reassuring word from the physio (but of course they don't because they're not willing to be off the pitch for a minute when they don't actually need any treatment).

If Pogba had been lying there whilst we'd been on the attack, would I have wanted us to kick it out so he could have the United physio run on, smile "Y'alright, Pogs?" at him and apply an ice pack for twenty seconds? Would I hell.

Play on. Sorry, Anthony.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Have to say, i felt it was a pretty bad scythe on AK and could not understand how the officials didnt see Lindehof deliberately raise his legs in the tackle for maximum impact

I thought it was a good old fashioned man and ball challenge, it was hard and can understand AK going down injured as it must of hurt.
I felt they should have gave the ball back and was surprised when the full back carried on, rude in my book and smacked of desperation.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It was a pretty reckless tackle, worthy of a yellow card. Manchester refusing to return the ball was unsportsmanlike.

All in all I would describe that team as “@rseholes”.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Maybe they should give the football to the injured player and despite his injury give him a 20 yard space to move the ball forward before the oppo can move toward him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Massive poor show of gamesmanship and was fuming. However it’s also a massive backhanded compliment to us - everyone knows we went there and deserved something for our efforts - even Jose so it must be true! We’re staying up lads :clap2:

This. Jose was waving his arm to keep playing during that incident though. Went down in my estimation for that.

If it had been United in a bigger game...... he’d have been moaning like mad.

I felt it was poor by United and just smacked of desperation.

Wasn’t Pogba a whiny child every time he got tackled?

Perhaps the most overrated player in the country for me, showed nothing yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Much as it was annoying to be a man down, I can't agree that United should have kicked it out. It seems to have crept into the game over the last twenty years or so that play is constantly stopped for injuries, which in 99% of cases are not injuries which require urgent treatment (if any treatment at all). I'm fed up with players staying down when the opposition has the ball, and demanding play be stopped. It disrupts the game, and it's happening for lesser and lesser ailments. I

If a referee fears an injury is serious, or it's a head injury, or a player is in a position which is clearly an issue (such as lying in the middle of the goal) he can stop play. The current state of affairs simply encourages players to stay down when they don't need to, usually when their opponents have the ball. They can always just wait for the next stoppage, or limp theatrically off to the sidelines for thirty seconds if they really do want a hug and a reassuring word from the physio (but of course they don't because they're not willing to be off the pitch for a minute when they don't actually need any treatment).

If Pogba had been lying there whilst we'd been on the attack, would I have wanted us to kick it out so he could have the United physio run on, smile "Y'alright, Pogs?" at him and apply an ice pack for twenty seconds? Would I hell.

Play on. Sorry, Anthony.

The referee has a duty of care to those on the pitch, whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, given the ferocity of the challenge, I do not believe he could have confidently say that Knockaert didn’t have a serious injury.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I certainly wasn’t confident at the time.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
This. Jose was waving his arm to keep playing during that incident though. Went down in my estimation for that.

If it had been United in a bigger game...... he’d have been moaning like mad.

I felt it was poor by United and just smacked of desperation.

Wasn’t Pogba a whiny child every time he got tackled?

Perhaps the most overrated player in the country for me, showed nothing yesterday.

I'm surprised you had an estimation for him to go down from. Myself I think the bloke is a classless arrogant prick.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Back in the day, at the Goldstone, we once played Man U one evening in a cup match . Others might say when it was , 80s or 90s.....

I remember being impressed when after a similar incident Steve Bruce deliberately passed the ball to our player when play resumed. Sportsmanship.

Times change and not for the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here