Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Their warm up coach

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Why was one of the AEK coaches allowed to lead a near permanent warm up session with the Athens subs in front of the South West stand?

Eventually, in the second half, the fourth official moved vaguely in his direction and appeared to be telling him to come back to the box. The coach put his thumb up and just carried on.

What are the rules about this? Seemed a blatant piss take (and an example of how canny AEK were throughout the game all night).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Are the European rules different with regard to where each group of subs warm-up?

In all domestic competitions, they'd have been required to warm-up down the same touchline as our subs, ie the north west touchline.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can't ever recall an away team warming up towards the south stand at the Amex before. Did notice at one point the AEK players warming up group rounded the Lino over there and were all chatting to him about some decision.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Don't know what the rules are but in Austria it is common for a coach to manage a warm up session for subs during the second half doing short sprints and stretches behind the goal line near the corner.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I thought players warming up on the sidelines were supposed to have a different colour to the players on the pitch.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
When i first did my ref's qualifications, subs were to warm up behind the linesman (now ref asst). This was to ensure the lino didnt see a player a confuse an offside decision.

In 2011 it was changed to be that players should wear contrasting clothing to both teams on the pitch and warm up in the opposite half to the linesman.

I dont know if that is a uk only rule.

Last night they clearly werent wearing contrasting clothing so thats maybe why they were allowed to warm up where they did.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
When i first did my ref's qualifications, subs were to warm up behind the linesman (now ref asst). This was to ensure the lino didnt see a player a confuse an offside decision.

In 2011 it was changed to be that players should wear contrasting clothing to both teams on the pitch and warm up in the opposite half to the linesman.

I dont know if that is a uk only rule.

Last night they clearly werent wearing contrasting clothing so thats maybe why they were allowed to warm up where they did.
Interesting to hear this from a ref's perspective. thanks. Should their coach have been allowed to run the session? And if so, why was he allowed to leave the technical area?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Interesting to hear this from a ref's perspective. thanks. Should their coach have been allowed to run the session? And if so, why was he allowed to leave the technical area?
So I have done some digging and it does appear to change by competition. This for example is from the 2018 uefa champions league handbook

1000010567.jpg

And this is from that same season's league cup

1000010569.jpg

Attachments

• 1000010567.jpg
    1000010567.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1000010569.jpg
    1000010569.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 1000010569.jpg
    1000010569.jpg