Deepest, darkest Sussex
Crumbs!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Did she answer either of the 2 biggest debates?

Is it Scone as in "own" or Scone as in "On". obvs for us Southerners the right and only answer is the first.......

But equally important and nationally divisive...... is it Jam then Cream, or Cream then Jam?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Is it Scone as in "own" or Scone as in "On". obvs for us Southerners the right and only answer is the first.......

But equally important and nationally divisive...... is it Jam then Cream, or Cream then Jam?
It depends on whether you follow the Devon way or the Cornish way.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Well working in a supermarket in the north, I now say scon as in "on" but only to give the smart arse answer "they've all scon" if someone asks if we have any. The correct pronounciation is scone as in "own", otherwise those orange and white things you have at roadworks will have to be called "cons" and not cones.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For me;

Scone, as in gone.

Plain, no cheese or (ugh) sultanas.

Warm scone.

Cream first then strawberry jam on top.

Pot of Earl Gray.

* I realise many have differing opinions . All according to taste. Having said that, in my opinion a nice walk followed by a cream tea, however you take it, is one of life’s simple but most enjoyable luxuries.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its on scone (own scone is posh not southern), and cream then jam. you'd not put jam then butter on toast. jam first is just a perversion by whichever county insists on that to be different.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It depends on whether you follow the correct Devon way or the stupid, incorrect and fundamentally wrong Cornish way.
Adjusted for you :laugh:

Oddly enough had a cream tea today - bought from a local cafe near B Hill as a takeaway and taken to my old mum who loves it. The scones (‘owns’ not ‘ons’) were great (contained fruit, which Mrs D promptly removed), the cream was clotted (only allowed option) and went on first followed by strawberry jam. No butter, the cream does the job the butter would - hence why it HAS to go on first. The jam is then dolloped, not ’spread’.

Mrs D, Mum D and I are all Devon born, so know about these things. Don’t listen to anyone influenced by the inbreds from the wrong side of the Tamar.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m surprised either band agreed to open the festival to be honest. Both could lay claim to being the headline act. Poor from the festival organisers really.

Wait? What? This isn’t a joke du jour thread?
The fact that two thirds of Cream are dead may reduce their pull on headling

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here