Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Withdean crowd

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I know it has been said many times before but this season it seems to have got worst. An obvious reason for us struggling at home and being so good away is the crowd. Away from home the fans get behind the team and support them almost whatever the result. I have rarely heard boos away from home and the players thrive on that.

At home with all the moaners back in attendance we struggle under the pressure. I know the football at home has been poor this year but the crowd needs to support the team more at Withdean. Did some people really think booing the team off at half time yesterday would help. This is far from the only problem but why don't people get behind the team. Hiney's thread is right, you almost feel some of the Withdean support want us to lose so they can moan more.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I thought we were pretty good yesterday. More chanting than at recent home games anyway.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
people booing before half time like yesterday is truly sickening. the people doing that need to take a long hard look at themselves

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Why do these people bother going? Do they want us to lose? It really annoyed me and it wasn't just one or two.

some people just sit there waiting for the first mistake to be made and the moans and groans begin. it makes me so angry. why they do it, i'll never know. the boos when the half time whistle went yesterday was a joke.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry, but the fans don't boo the players at the start of the game. In all the home league games we have seen uninspiring performances. It works both ways, the players need to help get the crowd going.

Yesterday was not a problem until they went down to 9 men and we then displayed complete ineptitude at working out how to play against them and then consistently giving the ball away with sloppy passing. That's when the crowd started to get frustrated.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Sorry, but the fans don't boo the players at the start of the game. In all the home league games we have seen uninspiring performances. It works both ways, the players need to help get the crowd going.

Yesterday was not a problem until they went down to 9 men and we then displayed complete ineptitude at working out how to play against them and then consistently giving the ball away with sloppy passing. That's when the crowd started to get frustrated.

well then if you need to boo, do it at the bloody end of the game when nothing can be changed. doing it half way through is going to achieve, what exactly?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sorry, but the fans don't boo the players at the start of the game.

Some bloke behind me was yesterday. Well, not actually booing, but as soon as the teams came out he started slagging off OGH and proceeded to do so every single time he touched the ball. Wasn't happy until OGH was subbed.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

If the players are giving everything, as they were yesterday, the fans should support them and not get on their back. It is just counter productive and does not help the team. I honestly think the support at Withdean has been a major factor behind our struggles at home this year as there was almost an expectation that teams should come here and let us win at the start of the season. At least give the team time to gel.

Out of interest, were you booing at half time (or even full time) yesterday?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I thought the crowd were really good yesterday. People will obviously remember the booing and groaning, but in general it was really noisy, and so many times the whole of the South Stand made a lot of noise to try and lift the team, so I don't believe that the crowd was negative yesterday.

And that guy shouting "Blue and white"..."Barmy Army" for abut 10 minutes was funny as well!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I know it has been said many times before but this season it seems to have got worst. An obvious reason for us struggling at home and being so good away is the crowd. Away from home the fans get behind the team and support them almost whatever the result. I have rarely heard boos away from home and the players thrive on that.

At home with all the moaners back in attendance we struggle under the pressure. I know the football at home has been poor this year but the crowd needs to support the team more at Withdean. Did some people really think booing the team off at half time yesterday would help. This is far from the only problem but why don't people get behind the team. Hiney's thread is right, you almost feel some of the Withdean support want us to lose so they can moan more.

Yes. It's all the fault of the fans.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
well then if you need to boo, do it at the bloody end of the game when nothing can be changed. doing it half way through is going to achieve, what exactly?

I can't see your logic here. Do you honestly think that team went into the changing room at half time and Adams said to them "keep up the good work lads". No? Of course not, he hopefully laid into everyone of them.

So the half time boos, were the fans version of the half time team talk!

Praise due where Praise is due.

Criticism due where Criticism is due.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
I can't see your logic here. Do you honestly think that team went into the changing room at half time and Adams said to them "keep up the good work lads". No? Of course not, he hopefully laid into everyone of them.

So the half time boos, were the fans version of the half time team talk!

Praise due where Praise is due.

Criticism due where Criticism is due.

no, but what is the point in getting on their backs? i think they know when they're playing badly they don't need everyone abusing them.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Yes. It's all the fault of the fans.

Did you not read the bit where I said it was a factor rather than all the fault of the fans. What a stupid comment. The players are playing poorly at home, all I am suggesting is getting on their backs the whole game does not help.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
no, but what is the point in getting on their backs? i think they know when they're playing badly they don't need everyone abusing them.

To be fair, I don't believe the whole crowd were booing, not even at the end.

Even during the game, some people got up and raised cheers for them when they came to take on fluids.

The frustration I believe stems from the fact that the team didn't respond and really had no idea on how to win the game let alone get a goal to equalise.

Nobody likes to be barracked of course, but is the answer for the floaters who are not getting entertained to keep quiet and not come any more? If so, where hell will that leave us as a club on 4,000 gates?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Did you not read the bit where I said it was a factor rather than all the fault of the fans. What a stupid comment. The players are playing poorly at home, all I am suggesting is getting on their backs the whole game does not help.

Oh yes how stupid of me!
And all I am suggesting is that the level of booing and abuse was not that bad yesterday considering the performance. I can't stand the way that individual players are sometimes picked on but yesterday I thought the crowd were largely blameless. Most northern and midland crowds would have given the players and manager a far, far harder time.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the players are giving everything, as they were yesterday, the fans should support them and not get on their back. It is just counter productive and does not help the team. I honestly think the support at Withdean has been a major factor behind our struggles at home this year as there was almost an expectation that teams should come here and let us win at the start of the season. At least give the team time to gel.

Out of interest, were you booing at half time (or even full time) yesterday?

To answer your question, no I didn't boo at half time nor the end, I was merely stating the reasons why people react like that. As I think I said in my earlier post, I thought the crowd was good upto the point where we gifted them a goal and then proceeded to put on an inept display against 9 men. I think Fraser was the only one to shoot from outside the area (if you exclude a couple of scuffs by Robinson). All we did was get it wide and cross for their big defence to head out. We made it easy for them.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Bollocks, you can't blame the crowd for playing badly. Yesterday they played shit and there is no excuse. They and the coaching staff were solely responsible for how they played.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think the last 'good' game at Withdean was in April, 5 months ago.

People work hard and pay good money in the hope of being entertained on a match day by professional sportsmen who are reasonably well paid and spend all week perfecting their craft.

Only a moron would pay that money and turn up at Withers, in all weather, to boo. Sadly, those that have got fed up with this consintant level of boredom/misery stop turning up. Is that better?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Oh yes how stupid of me!
And all I am suggesting is that the level of booing and abuse was not that bad yesterday considering the performance. I can't stand the way that individual players are sometimes picked on but yesterday I thought the crowd were largely blameless. Most northern and midland crowds would have given the players and manager a far, far harder time.

I am sorry, where did you say that? All I saw was a sarcastic remark suggesting I was blaming yesterday completely on the crowd which is not what I said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here