Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The "Where will Zaha go?" Summer 2018 thread

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
All that is true BUT it was Crystal Palace FC who defaulted on their debts NOT the fans, in fact quite the opposite.

Using the defaults to club the fans with is neither fair nor reasonable. - IMO :)

Absolutely correct and the fans did well but I don't think anyone is having a go at the fans, for the clubs current position and are pointing out that their club and owners appear to be on the slippery slope again. But these fans will never accept the club did any wrong in the past. That is what pisses me and I think other fans on here off.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Murray is streets ahead of Benteke as many palace fans have admitted. Townsend has gone downhill massively and is a run of the mill plodder - all 4 of our wingers are better. Zaha would be the only player on ability that I’d take but I’d refuse him in our squad as we have a togetherness and a big time Charlie who is also a proven cheat would disrupt things. Prob why Bloom didn’t go for Zaha in the end despite the chance to.

Murray vs Benteke was definitely a win for Glenn last season, but Benteke scored 15 PL goals for us the season before and was utterly brilliant. Last season's troubles were unexpected and out of character, hopefully he returns to his usual self this time around. Townsend has been great under Hodgson in an unfamiliar position and has worked extremely hard. You won't hear many complaints about him from Palace fans. Zaha, obviously, would be your best player. You've missed out the likes of Sakho, van Aanholt and Milivojevic though who would all be starting every single week for you.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
As the author mentions, they haven't got a bad starting XI for the Premier League but don't have much scope for squad rotation. A fact that will eventually catch up with them if they pick up a few injuries..

Like last season, you mean? Palace at one point had 50% of the senior playing staff at the club injured. 12 out of 24. Literally half. We still finished 11th and above you.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Murray vs Benteke was definitely a win for Glenn last season, but Benteke scored 15 PL goals for us the season before and was utterly brilliant. Last season's troubles were unexpected and out of character, hopefully he returns to his usual self this time around. Townsend has been great under Hodgson in an unfamiliar position and has worked extremely hard. You won't hear many complaints about him from Palace fans. Zaha, obviously, would be your best player. You've missed out the likes of Sakho, van Aanholt and Milivojevic though who would all be starting every single week for you.

They wouldn’t because we wouldn’t pay the ridiculous wages you do.. all that money and you only finished 4 points ahead of us.. it’s hilarious

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
They wouldn’t because we wouldn’t pay the ridiculous wages you do.. all that money and you only finished 4 points ahead of us.. it’s hilarious

Palace were an absolute shambles behind the scenes last season - some of the issues were self-inflicted and some were just plain bad luck - and yet we still managed to survive comfortably and found ourselves in midtable after taking 0 points and 0 goals from our first 7 games. Roy's Palace side earns more money than Hughton's Brighton side, but they're also better at football, as evidenced by the amount of points picked up by both.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
And as Roy has said, you’re skint, you need the money from his sale o strengthen in any serious way.

And yet we're bidding on players and he hasn't been sold yet. Perhaps (and I'm aware this is an outlandish suggestion) Roy was exaggerating slightly as part of a negotiation?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Palace were an absolute shambles behind the scenes last season - some of the issues were self-inflicted and some were just plain bad luck - and yet we still managed to survive comfortably and found ourselves in midtable after taking 0 points and 0 goals from our first 7 games. Roy's Palace side earns more money than Hughton's Brighton side, but they're also better at football, as evidenced by the amount of points picked up by both.

Roy’s palace side has the highest wage to income ratio in the league and aren’t they top of anyone outside the top 6 for money spent on wages... let that sink in.. and you are boasting about finishing 4 points clear of us. Hilarious

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
And yet we're bidding on players and he hasn't been sold yet. Perhaps (and I'm aware this is an outlandish suggestion) Roy was exaggerating slightly as part of a negotiation?

Bidding is one thing, let's actually see who you bring in. Spurs and Levy were experts at this and somehow were never able to land their targets.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Let's wait until this season. You've had all the premier league money for years. We've had none. Yet we managed to finish only four points behind you - which even you have to admit was pretty good for our 'championship squad'.

Now we have been able to invest some PL monies in new players, the comparison will be a little fairer. If you still end up four points above us, fair enough. But I doubt that you will.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Roy’s palace side has the highest wage to income ratio in the league and aren’t they top of anyone outside the top 6 for money spent on wages... let that sink in.. and you are boasting about finishing 4 points clear of us. Hilarious

How on earth was I boasting?

Palace had a large wage bill last season and that is largely because our squad contained several proven Premier League players. The likes of Sakho, Cabaye, Zaha, Benteke etc. have all been outstanding at PL level in the past and obviously command a hefty salary. By my estimation our wage bill is at least £200k/w lower at present than it was last season, so it's heading in the right direction.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Bidding is one thing, let's actually see who you bring in. Spurs and Levy were experts at this and somehow were never able to land their targets.

Fair enough. I do believe that we'll strengthen, there are some pleasing noises coming from the media at the moment but we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

Let's wait until this season. You've had all the premier league money for years. We've had none. Yet we managed to finish only four points behind you - which even you have to admit was pretty good for our 'championship squad'.

Now we have been able to invest some PL monies in new players, the comparison will be a little fairer. If you still end up four points above us, fair enough. But I doubt that you will.

You're not wrong, we've had a huge financial advantage over you in the last few years and you were playing catchup last season. Hughton did an excellent job to keep you up and it looks like you've made some signings with great potential in the window so far. I think you're likely to stay up again next season. Whether you'll finish above us is another matter entirely; if Roy maintains his points-per-game from last season we'll be next season's Burnley :bowdown:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Palace had a large wage bill last season and that is largely because our squad contained several proven Premier League players. The likes of Sakho, Cabaye, Zaha, Benteke etc. have all been outstanding at PL level in the past and obviously command a hefty salary. By my estimation our wage bill is at least £200k/w lower at present than it was last season, so it's heading in the right direction.
Who else have you lost apart from Cabaye?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

You’re bidding on players?
Strange you haven’t managed to buy any yet.
It’s easy to put in low bids , knowing they won’t be accepted, just to appease the proles on the terraces.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

So these new players you are bidding for will play for nothing?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
You’re bidding on players?
Strange you haven’t managed to buy any yet.
It’s easy to put in low bids , knowing they won’t be accepted, just to appease the proles on the terraces.

We had a bid accepted last night. Stop talking rubbish.

So these new players you are bidding for will play for nothing?

We haven't signed anyone else yet, so it's hard to know how much they'll be paid!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The tides coming in, they know we are getting ever closer..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here