Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The waning power of Fortress Amex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Library at 1-0 and 2-0 today

Now, who do I believe? You or the reporter for Sky Soccer Sunday, who was reporting live from WSU saying how loud it was (that I could hear for myself)?

Before you whinge at me for not going, I have a throat infection (not covid) and my other half was in his firm's box in hospitality. That's two sth seats empty. We did put them on the Exchange.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't get it . Perhaps a tactical wizard can put me straight but the Albion look a different side at home to away.

I get to watch some of the away games on stream and apart from the second half against Man City we have been outstanding against City, Arsenal & Spurs.

I have had the misfortune to watch all our home games this season (so yes I enjoyed the last win in December) and every game is groundhog day at the Amex - near total bewilderment at the teams performance and the subs made

At 2-2 today we went to pieces at the back for about 10 minutes , players were slicing the ball upwards anywhere like school kids.

Bizarre ?

Here's a bizarre stat. Since we've played Southampton in the Premier League the home team has never won the game.

29 Oct 2017 Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton D 1-1 Premier League
31 Jan 2018 Southampton v Brighton and Hove Albion D 1-1 Premier League
28 Aug 2018 Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton W 0-1 League Cup
17 Sep 2018 Southampton v Brighton and Hove Albion D 2-2 Premier League
30 Mar 2019 Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton W 0-1 Premier League
24 Aug 2019 Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton W 0-2 Premier League
16 Jul 2020 Southampton v Brighton and Hove Albion D 1-1 Premier League
07 Dec 2020 Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton W 1-2 Premier League
14 Mar 2021 Southampton v Brighton and Hove Albion L 1-2 Premier League
04 Dec 2021 Southampton v Brighton and Hove Albion D 1-1 Premier League
24 Apr 2022 Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton D 2-2 Premier League

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Seats and a stadium that had already sold out but hadn’t - at the time of you wanting a ticket - sold twice.

PS have you tried buying a Premier League ticket for I dunno any of the games this weekend. Virtually impossible (unless you’re a member, season ticket holder, or trading on black/grey market). If that’s declining appeal …

But why so many empty seats.

There will always a few thousand especially for night games but more and more people seem to be buying tickets and then not turning up.

Nice day today, decent kick off time, reasonable opposition with a decent chance to win after a few decent away performances but thousands of empty seats everywhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

There will always a few thousand especially for night games but more and more people seem to be buying tickets and then not turning up.

Nice day today, decent kick off time, reasonable opposition with a decent chance to win after a few decent away performances but thousands of empty seats everywhere.
in the incredibly difficult to get too, and away from, stadium.

(Although GPotts anti football probably doesn't help)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Simply STH no-shows, many of whom can’t find takers on the Exchange (and it often doesn’t go to Exchange anyway).

I suspect many are people who worry about Covid.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Needs sorting.

My 7 year old son (playing football, watching football, living football - I'm sure many other posters here have had kids the same) has been to 4 home games this season and has yet to see Brighton score a goal. He tells everyone he is a Brighton fan and I'm sure he will be, but he is definitely casting a few eyes at other teams that look more fun to support. He wasn't there today admittedly, but a bundled-in goal, an own-goal and then throwing away a 2-0 lead is hardly going to have won him over.

I've had some great days out in London this season on the beers, but that doesn't mean anything to local young fans who only go to home games - it won't help win us any supporters.

It's all very well telling him that we nearly went out of the football league 25 years ago, but what the **** does that mean to him? My early days watching the Albion were Barry Lloyd in (then) Division 2 and it was dire, but you know what? Sometimes we scored and won games, and it was fun.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Simply STH no-shows, many of whom can’t find takers on the Exchange (and it often doesn’t go to Exchange anyway).

I suspect many are people who worry about Covid.

Also last weekend of Easter school holidays. School holidays always means there will be families missing matches.

This is my view on the waning atmosphere, I sit in the NS, near the back and to the left of the screen.

I am getting fed up with being surrounded by kids, I thought the North Stand was for the 'more animated fan, who wants to create an atmosphere and be more rowdy'....so people reel it in with their shouting and swearing (yes yes I know it's not the correct thing to swear, but let's not beat around the bush here), I'm fed up with being surrounded by gimps who watch F1 on their phone during the match, a la today. I'm fed up with irritating fans behind me who seem to just shout crap chants not in line with the rest of the whole of the NS and who don't ever bother with the new chants we have on away days, which are actually bloody good.

Say's a lot when the idiots near us don't know any because none of them bother to travel away.

It's become so bad where I sit that we are all contemplating moving seats because of the idiot behind us. He just wants it all to be about him and never seems to accept it when there's a different chant going around the stand.

Anyway, that's enough about where we are sat/stood and me whining!

I think the problem is the Premier League itself and day trippers it attracts, plus the SH*T ticket sharing scheme. Scores of empty seats today.

I really would love the club to scrap it and go back to how it used to be so we have bums on seats all of the time. I would also rate there being a standing/singing section by the away fans because that would really add to it, it genuinely would. But we like to be happy clappy home fans these days so it'll never happen.

We all know this can be fixed and we can make a lot of noise there, but it just feels more corporate and boring as each season passes. Maybe it's just me though. I love the Amex and always will go no matter what, but it's so frustrating currently.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Did it?
I heard the North near / under the police box singing it, at one point the WSU where I sit started clapping but I didn’t hear anyone singing this song

Probably being kind, there was about 20 of us joining in, in W3H and WSI.

I am moving downstairs next season (W1H) wondering if I’ll see an improvement around me?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Disagree most games the effort is put in at the start unfortunately the performance doesn’t match and like most grounds in league football the atmosphere drops off. Hopefully with the new midfield two we can break quicker than walking football.

solly needs to wear blinkers and have his head fixed in a forward position , he is more than capable of beating his man and putting in a half decent cross but he just goes backwards more often than not , this couple with Maupay's inability to get anywhere near most crosses is something that really needs addressing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

The wretched replacement bus srrvice on the West Coast line, plus the threadbare Sunday train service to and from Falmer won't have helped

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Let’s jet off back to Withdean where our record must have been well impressive. Didn’t we beat City there? Oh yes, I remember, they didn’t like playing at a local park. Give these teams a decent pitch and warmly accommodate their fans - what do we expect in the premier league?

Precisely, we're far too nice. The stadium design and being constrained by away ticket pricing doesn't help.

I'm sick of away fans enjoying their day out at our expense, on and off the pitch.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Caused by not being able to give your Season ticket card to a friend or family member if you can't make it, and if we're not playing Man Utd, Liverpool or Man City you can almost forget about selling your tickets on the exchange.

All these piddly amounts of money to get people MyAlbion+ and endless faff-arsing about with emails, transfers and so on with friends and family members who can't use the internet and read instructions means that when I can't make it to a game, I just let the seats go empty. I never used to do that, but now I just can't be arsed. I end up spending hours myself (and usually money) setting it all up for them so they can have my tickets. Forget it, I'm too busy for all that - that's why I can't make it to the game in the first place.

The club loses pie and a pint revenue, has two empty seats, and the atmosphere suffers because thousands of other people have done the same.

And yes, I know the 'rules' are you don't give your ST card to anyone, but clubs have been turning a blind eye for decades without any adverse effects.

Stupid decision by the club doing it all on phones now COVID is over. I'd like it to change back to cards.

Oooh, now you've done it. Stand by for replies along the lines of "It's really easy. After you and the intended recipient have paid the fees and charges all you have to do is just send a few emails, type a couple of texts, get a solicitor to add a codicil to your Will, and bob's yer uncle! Couldn't be simpler!"

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I am moving downstairs next season (W1H) wondering if I’ll see an improvement around me?

I’m not sure there are many stadiums that have singing fans in the main stand, I’ve just read post #52 complaining about the singing in the North Stand.
It’s been said many times on here, if the whole of the North sang the same song, fans in other stands join in, especially if it’s a popular or well known song.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This is my view on the waning atmosphere, I sit in the NS, near the back and to the left of the screen.

I am getting fed up with being surrounded by kids, I thought the North Stand was for the 'more animated fan, who wants to create an atmosphere and be more rowdy'....so people reel it in with their shouting and swearing (yes yes I know it's not the correct thing to swear, but let's not beat around the bush here), I'm fed up with being surrounded by gimps who watch F1 on their phone during the match, a la today. I'm fed up with irritating fans behind me who seem to just shout crap chants not in line with the rest of the whole of the NS and who don't ever bother with the new chants we have on away days, which are actually bloody good.

Say's a lot when the idiots near us don't know any because none of them bother to travel away.

It's become so bad where I sit that we are all contemplating moving seats because of the idiot behind us. He just wants it all to be about him and never seems to accept it when there's a different chant going around the stand.

Anyway, that's enough about where we are sat/stood and me whining!

I think the problem is the Premier League itself and day trippers it attracts, plus the SH*T ticket sharing scheme. Scores of empty seats today.

I really would love the club to scrap it and go back to how it used to be so we have bums on seats all of the time. I would also rate there being a standing/singing section by the away fans because that would really add to it, it genuinely would. But we like to be happy clappy home fans these days so it'll never happen.

We all know this can be fixed and we can make a lot of noise there, but it just feels more corporate and boring as each season passes. Maybe it's just me though. I love the Amex and always will go no matter what, but it's so frustrating currently.

I don't think this will happen under Paul Barber.

I really rate PB, but he is trying to create 'family entertainment'. As such, the idea of creating a self-managed/policed section of the crowd where safe standing exists is a no-no. Palace have got it right, but unlike Parish, I think Barber wants more control over us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here