The Vaccine Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
:facepalm:

Can't the EU just bin the vaccine now and send it to Africa or anywhere really where it will save lives ?

They obviously don't want to use it.

sensible plan. despite the rhetoric on supply they have done so much damage to the AZ vaccine, and vaccination in general. may as well give up and wait for Moderna and Jansen to ramp production.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Precautionary Principle taken to its extreme, costing lives and helping to spread vaccine hesitancy across the continent. Music to the ears of stirring anti-vaxers, who can and do use news of this kind as “There you go, I told you the vaccine was .......”.

Who are the ultimate losers from these constant adjustments to OAZ restrictions and delays?

EU citizens who miss out on protection.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
sensible plan. despite the rhetoric on supply they have done so much damage to the AZ vaccine, and vaccination in general. may as well give up and wait for Moderna and Jansen to ramp production.

What’s really doing it damage is places like Canada and USA questioning it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Interesting Prof Sridhar has not posted in 4 days, read into that what you will...

She's resumed Tweeting today after 7 days of not posting, for whatever reason. It also appears the Tweet in question is no more as well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
HUGE problem in the pipeline: how to coerce the feral underclass to get the vaccine when you can't even get them to wear a mask or social distance or opt-in to any other form of societal decency? Some sort of vaccine passport seems like a good thing to have if it means that the huge majority of decent people have to share the same oxygen as that trash for the absolute minimum of time

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
HUGE problem in the pipeline: how to coerce the feral underclass to get the vaccine when you can't even get them to wear a mask or social distance or opt-in to any other form of societal decency? Some sort of vaccine passport seems like a good thing to have if it means that the huge majority of decent people have to share the same oxygen as that trash for the absolute minimum of time

Had the delight to sit in the asda break room and the anti vax shit they were spewing was almost unbelievable, but it was in the asda break room and in Crawley so less so.

They of course spent the break eating McDonald’s and smoking whilst moaning about what is in the vax.

Saying that, a passport will be counter productive.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Politics For All
@PoliticsForAlI
�� BREAKING: Britain's health regulator is considering a proposal to restrict the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in younger people over concerns about **very rare blood clots**

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
An ‘interesting’ article here discussing various lockdown easing models:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...wn-next-week-highly-unlikely-to-overwhelm-nhs

The common thread seems to be an almost inevitable third wave, with high levels of death (though perhaps not as high as previous waves). I just don’t understand this.

The government is talking about hopes of an irreversible easing of lockdown, with plans (albeit ambitious) to abandon social distancing measures in June. Why, if virtually all UK adults are to have been vaccinated by the end of July, are models predicting a massive spike in cases and deaths in August? Surely if that’s the case the vaccination program has been minimally effective and we remain stuck in a cycle of permanent lockdown.

To the layman in me, all data from both here and countries further on than us, such as Israel, fly in the face of these models. I know that there’s a ‘leakiness’ to vaccines - not everyone vaccinated will be protected from illness or the ability to transmit. But if a majority are protected from both, how can this thing do anything but fizzle out?

Answers on a postcard, please.

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...wn-next-week-highly-unlikely-to-overwhelm-nhs

The common thread seems to be an almost inevitable third wave, with high levels of death (though perhaps not as high as previous waves). I just don’t understand this.

The government is talking about hopes of an irreversible easing of lockdown, with plans (albeit ambitious) to abandon social distancing measures in June. Why, if virtually all UK adults are to have been vaccinated by the end of July, are models predicting a massive spike in cases and deaths in August? Surely if that’s the case the vaccination program has been minimally effective and we remain stuck in a cycle of permanent lockdown.

To the layman in me, all data from both here and countries further on than us, such as Israel, fly in the face of these models. I know that there’s a ‘leakiness’ to vaccines - not everyone vaccinated will be protected from illness or the ability to transmit. But if a majority are protected from both, how can this thing do anything but fizzle out?

It's perfectly obvious. In January, when there were 30 million over-50 and/or vulnerable and 20 million under 50 and not vulnerable, and hardly anyone was vaccinated, the number of cases was about 1,500,000 and deaths 34,000.

In August when everyone is double vaccinated bar about 2m over 50/vulnerable and perhaps 8m (pessimistic) under 50, there are still 10m adults available to catch the virus. It only takes 20% of them, as long as that 20% is heavily skewed towards the elderly, to catch the disease in August, then hey presto! we will have it worse than in January. Remember that after lockdown ends we have to expect these elderly people to gather indoors for raves and other high-energy tightly-packed events.

Then another 20% (or perhaps the same 20%) can catch it in September, and again in October, and then we can assume there might be another variant or all our immunity might have worn off.

It's also important to remember that just because last year the virus faded away in summer and everywhere else in the world the virus faded in summer and most other respiratory diseases fade away in summer, there is no reason whatsover to believe that this virus fades away in summer. The model assumes no seasonal effect at all.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I think we're being softened up for a push back on phase 3 and phase 4, it all about expectation management....

A third wave is not inevitable unless we rely solely on the vaccine. We need proper localised contact tracing and an a system that ensures people in jobs with poor protection are not forced out to work if they fear they are infected. Then there's inbound infection from overseas, are our borders secure enough?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think we're being softened up for a push back on phase 3 and phase 4, it all about expectation management....

A third wave is not inevitable unless we rely solely on the vaccine. We need proper localised contact tracing and an a system that ensures people in jobs with poor protection are not forced out to work if they fear they are infected. Then there's inbound infection from overseas, are our borders secure enough?

So if we push back on that opening up when do we open up?

How many millions will have been jabbed by 21st June?

The borders are secure, unless you don’t want key workers/cargo to travel which is about 10k people a day.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So if we push back on that opening up when do we open up?

How many millions will have been jabbed by 21st June?

The borders are secure, unless you don’t want key workers/cargo to travel which is about 10k people a day.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/thousands-foreign-tourists-britons-no-covid-travel-s02ltsl3j

Am interested to hear someone from governmenet clear this one up.

With the new vaccines coming on stream hopefully this month we can ramp up hugely to mid May and there's no reason to push back on June 21st. Hopefully.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Oxford/AZ jab now being cancelled for under 30s, I imagine anyone between 30-50 would be highly sceptical on taking it now. Why is it unsafe for them but safe for us??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports