Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
64% was the test result, based on a single jab, and all it measured was whether or not you got the virus, based on a small sample. Real world data has a much larger sample and shows 76% efficiency in preventing the virus with a single jab, and further shows that the 24% who got it, get it much less seriously, and that transmission is much reduced as well. Tests and the results of real world data show that the second jab results in 95%+ protection from getting the disease and 100% (or as near as any test can be) protection from death.

This is the absolute key.......even if you're one of the unlucky 20 or 30-odd percent who still catch it, you're very, very unlikely to end up in hospital and even less likely dead.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
64% was the test result, based on a single jab, and all it measured was whether or not you got the virus, based on a small sample. Real world data has a much larger sample and shows 76% efficiency in preventing the virus with a single jab, and further shows that the 24% who got it, get it much less seriously, and that transmission is much reduced as well. Tests and the results of real world data show that the second jab results in 95%+ protection from getting the disease and 100% (or as near as any test can be) protection from death.

ok thanks for that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was interested that when I went on to my GP-recommended app ('Patient Access') earlier to order my repeat prescription asthma meds, it asked if I wanted the app to use my NHS Number to link to 'other sources'. I said Yes and hey presto, it's got the full details of my AZ jab stored under 'Medications'. Impressive. And only one small further step to generate a vaccine passport, I'd have thought. Hurrah!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Was interested that when I went on to my GP-recommended app ('Patient Access') earlier to order my repeat prescription asthma meds, it asked if I wanted the app to use my NHS Number to link to 'other sources'. I said Yes and hey presto, it's got the full details of my AZ jab stored under 'Medications'. Impressive. And only one small further step to generate a vaccine passport, I'd have thought. Hurrah!

hurrah ...they've had that here for 5 years , you have to subscribe to it , keeps a record of all your ailments , illnesses and treatment and drugs prescribed.

i haven't subscribed to it ,despite having numerous issues i don't really wan't all my sizzle there on the t'internet for all and sundry to use as they please.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
hurrah ...they've had that here for 5 years , you have to subscribe to it , keeps a record of all your ailments , illnesses and treatment and drugs prescribed.

i haven't subscribed to it ,despite having numerous issues i don't really wan't all my sizzle there on the t'internet for all and sundry to use as they please.

Your "sizzle" (whatever that it) will be in the database and available to anyone with legitimate access credentials regardless of whether you subscribe or not.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
News reports saying supplies will be 'significantly constrained' week beginning 29th March...................focus will switch to second doses due so O40s may have to wait a while.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So vaccine booked for Sunday. Rather not looking forward to it, but have chosen to opt in. I've long accepted that I am still part of an ongoing trial but taken things on balance. Stocking up on Paracetamol..

I'm going to take the conch here though. This compulsory ideology irks me. It is the stuff of Orwell. There is a difference between Anti-vax and Vax-hesitant. Folk have the right to be wary and it is understandable given the speed of movement here. I had images of 6am visits and folk being piled into trucks and shipped to vax centres. Chilling. Civic duty is a conditioned disposition. The mark of a human's development is not being right, but being able to see all perspectives and appreciate them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seems they are doubling back as well.

A month of low supplies - sounds as though the overall targets will still be met but will slip back to 'on track' rather than racing ahead like we have been. Think this also kills any chance of planned lockdown easing being speeded up (if there ever was any).

Not ideal but not a big panic either (not that the press will see it that way) - all of the top 9 groups will still be done, meaning almost everyone likely to get seriously ill will be protected.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A month of low supplies - sounds as though the overall targets will still be met but will slip back to 'on track' rather than racing ahead like we have been. Think this also kills any chance of planned lockdown easing being speeded up (if there ever was any).

Not ideal but not a big panic either (not that the press will see it that way) - all of the top 9 groups will still be done, meaning almost everyone likely to get seriously ill will be protected.

I’m not sure we should be going back to people who have already rejected it.

Move forward and leave it open for those already offered it the chance to book

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m not sure we should be going back to people who have already rejected it.

Move forward and leave it open for those already offered it the chance to book

Dunno if that is happening.........

Hancock is playing down the news re supplies saying it's 'normal peaks and troughs' or similar

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Granted I only had it on in the background, but it sounded like they are double checking people don’t want it?

Can 100% see why they would follow up on people that haven't booked (I was sent a text by my GP last week apparently but never got it, they called me yesterday to ask why I hadn't booked) - but not so much if they've actively rejected............

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Another possible cloud on the horizon that could affect lockdown easing in the UK/vaccine supplies

EU may trigger little-used emergency clause to block export of Pfizer vaccines

The president of the European Commission has threatened to use a seldom-used treaty clause to block supplies of Pfizer coronavirus vaccines to Britain unless the UK sends British-manufactured AstraZeneca vaccines to the EU.

Ursula von der Leyen raised the prospect of triggering the emergency Article 122, which would allow the EU to seize factories, waive intellectual property rights and patents and impose export bans on jabs.

"All options are on the table. We are in the crisis of the century and I'm not ruling out anything for now. We have to make sure Europeans are vaccinated as soon as possible," Mrs von der Leyen said.

She said Britain was "country number one" benefiting from EU vaccine exports, adding: "This is about making sure that Europe gets a fair share."

Downing Street urged the EU to "stand by its commitment" not to restrict exports of vaccines, made after an export ban was threatened at the height of the bloc's row with AstraZeneca in January.....

EU officials briefed that the commission was considering the use of the article, which allows "measures appropriate to the economic situation... if severe difficulties arise in the supply of certain products", which is understood to include factory seizures, export bans and the waiving of patent and intellectual property rights.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...ttle-used-emergency-article-122-clause-force/

You would think lobbying member state governments to use the millions of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine currently sitting in storage across Europe, for no good reason, should be their top priority not threatening to restrict our legally obtained supplies.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Another possible cloud on the horizon that could affect lockdown easing in the UK/vaccine supplies

EU may trigger little-used emergency clause to block export of Pfizer vaccines

The president of the European Commission has threatened to use a seldom-used treaty clause to block supplies of Pfizer coronavirus vaccines to Britain unless the UK sends British-manufactured AstraZeneca vaccines to the EU.

Ursula von der Leyen raised the prospect of triggering the emergency Article 122, which would allow the EU to seize factories, waive intellectual property rights and patents and impose export bans on jabs.

"All options are on the table. We are in the crisis of the century and I'm not ruling out anything for now. We have to make sure Europeans are vaccinated as soon as possible," Mrs von der Leyen said.

She said Britain was "country number one" benefiting from EU vaccine exports, adding: "This is about making sure that Europe gets a fair share."

Downing Street urged the EU to "stand by its commitment" not to restrict exports of vaccines, made after an export ban was threatened at the height of the bloc's row with AstraZeneca in January.....

EU officials briefed that the commission was considering the use of the article, which allows "measures appropriate to the economic situation... if severe difficulties arise in the supply of certain products", which is understood to include factory seizures, export bans and the waiving of patent and intellectual property rights.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...ttle-used-emergency-article-122-clause-force/

You would think lobbying member state governments to use the millions of doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine currently sitting in storage across Europe, for no good reason, should be their top priority not threatening to restrict our legally obtained supplies.

Interesting the EU had received more than 300 requests for overseas vaccine shipments over the past six weeks and refused just one, and the bloc had exported 41m doses to 33 countries. Sounds like International cooperation to me...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Interesting the EU had received more than 300 requests for overseas vaccine shipments over the past six weeks and refused just one, and the bloc had exported 41m doses to 33 countries. Sounds like International cooperation to me...

Not sure what relevance this has to the post you quoted but assuming any of that is true I would ask why are the EU getting involved at all re private companies in member states selling their product to third countries and that's one more refusal than the UK despite the EU lying saying we have blocked vaccine supplies. Finally, the bloc doesn't export them individual companies export them. Apart from that, great post ...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Your "sizzle" (whatever that it) will be in the database and available to anyone with legitimate access credentials regardless of whether you subscribe or not.

well unfortunately not old boy , my extensive medical history(file) of broken bones , surgery and nearly 4 months in hospital with septicaemia and subsequent 7 months of re hab has been lost , gone , so in my instance the horse has sort of bolted.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Not sure what relevance this has to the post you quoted but assuming any of that is true I would ask why are the EU getting involved at all re private companies in member states selling their product to third countries and that's one more refusal than the UK despite the EU lying saying we have blocked vaccine supplies. Finally, the bloc doesn't export them individual companies export them. Apart from that, great post ...
I think what van Leyden is saying to pharmaceutical companies is that if they want to produce a cheap not-for-profit vaccine to distribute round the world with the help of funds provided from the UK government, then the pharmaceutical companies must remember that the EU is a power-mad dictatorship that will take over their factories, impound their products, and demand on first dibs on their worldwide stocks, for as long as they stay in the EU.

I don't think she has any concept of how the pharmaceutical companies might react to operating under those constraints ...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Individual countries making their own decisions again, how does that happen?

P.S Watch the Telegraph cut and paste behind the firewall, we don't want to see the hard working residents of Brecqhou to be deprived of much needed income do we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here