Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Has anyone seen the vaccine minister on the television discussing the roll out? I’ve seen the Health Minister who answered okay and the PM fail to answer questions on detail this morning. Not seen Nadhim Zawahi once.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Has anyone seen the vaccine minister on the television discussing the roll out? I’ve seen the Health Minister who answered okay and the PM fail to answer questions on detail this morning. Not seen Nadhim Zawahi once.

Of course he hasn’t been rolled out yet

So far it’s all been good vaccine news, he’s being held back to answer for the inevitable cock ups and delays in the vaccine roll out

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
6 million doses on the shelf right now, just need to be dished out. And 18 million more nearly ready.

Government say the roll out is restricted by supply if the vaccine. That doesn’t seem to be the case at the moment. Being positive- if they can get the mass rollout up and running quickly- there are loads of jabs ready to use.

30830c747d9b7d505b53d8128d6a1fa6.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
6 million doses on the shelf right now, just need to be dished out. And 18 million more nearly ready.

Government say the roll out is restricted by supply if the vaccine. That doesn’t seem to be the case at the moment. Being positive- if they can get the mass rollout up and running quickly- there are loads of jabs ready to use.

....mostly Pfizer though, which we know is incredibly awkward to store, transport and distribute.......I think things will ramp up over the next 2-3 weeks as they start to release the stocks of Oxford/AZ.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

number bottom right is the important one. finishing and distribution go ahead now there is approval.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
On the downside, as a family we have been pinning all our hopes on the various vaccines, giving us our life back.

However my wife has now been advised that there is no certainty that the vaccines will offer enough protection for people with blood cancer, like hers, but to have it anyway, as some protection is better than none!

The final note was to carry on shielding.

So nothing is going to change for us by the looks of things.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Where was this from?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
From The Telegraph. Don't think they quoted a source.

Thanks.

I feel really frustrated about Johnson's focus on the vaccines and not on the actual data surrounding Covid. For me, the focus should entirely be on real data concerning the R rate, but most importantly positive cases and hospital admissions.
What he has actually done is suggest that if we get all the vulnerable people vaccinated by mid-Feb, life can go back to normal. I think that is why Gove came out today mentioning March, I think they've realised they've over promised.
Is it sensible to risk cutting corners to 'get people vaccinated'?
Burnham said today that currently we're not getting any real firm data on this from the Govt.

This is going to be waffle but can anyone here help with the following....

We currently have access to two vaccines, Pfizer's and Oxford's.

Pfizers has to be stored at -70 and therefore has proved very problematic. 90ish% efficacy.
The first was given on the 8th of December and that man got his second today.
Roughly 1 million given in around a month, so 250k a week, most still await the second jab.

Oxford's is easier to deliver and you only need one jab. 70% efficacy.
Currently 500k in circulation or delivered, 500k more being delivered this week. Having to be quality checked in batches of 500k.

So the reality is we have delivered around a million vaccines, the vast of majority of which are Pfizer and therefore those people aren't fully protected until they have another jab.
And the rest, the Oxford jab, we're getting in slower batches, and with that 3 in every 10 (and remember these are the MOST vulnerable people) aren't protected.

So the options are 1) people get half of the Pfizer dose or 2) they get a whole dose of Oxford but it is much less successful.
That's the long and short of it isn't it?

Surely, the answer is that all the vulnerable people have the vaccine that is most effective. I.e 2 doses of Pfizer? And if that is the case, given it is harder to deliver AND you need two doses, aiming for mid-Feb and giving people this daft hope is criminal.

This isn't some ant-tory rant, genuinely inquisitive but bemused and wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

I just really want to understand the logic behind this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My biggest worry with the current incompetent government is they'll rush through so many people with the first vaccination, yet when it comes to peoples second dose in twelve weeks time, there won't be enough supply to carry on giving enough people their first dose.
It's almost guaranteed that this will happen.

And then they will look to push the blame onto a scapegoat.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks.

I feel really frustrated about Johnson's focus on the vaccines and not on the actual data surrounding Covid. For me, the focus should entirely be on real data concerning the R rate, but most importantly positive cases and hospital admissions.

why wouldn't they focus on vaccines, its the only way out short term or long term. R number is useless to non-experts, makes a nice headline but its estimated with models and caveats involved.
Astrazeneca reckon they can get production to 2m a week and NHS can scale delivery to that. then there's Pfizer and Moderna too. so vulnerable groups by end of March is pretty reasonable, depends who is included in that group. after one dose, the less vulnerable will be cycled, the one dose will give protection on its own - that what the regulator has decided from the data, not Johnson.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This will be interesting to watch, in terms of whether vaccinations can help to stop transmission.

[tweet]1346134297972006912[/tweet]

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
why wouldn't they focus on vaccines, its the only way out short term or long term. R number is useless to non-experts, makes a nice headline but its estimated with models and caveats involved.
Astrazeneca reckon they can get production to 2m a week and NHS can scale delivery to that, so vulnerable groups by end of March is pretty reasonable, depends who is included in that group. after one dose, the less vulnerable will be cycled, the one dose will give protection on its own - that what the regulator has decided from the data, not Johnson.

End of March isn't mid-Feb.
My point re: Johnson is that it seems silly to even mention mid-Febuary and this fabled target of 2 million a week when the most important thing is that the most vulnerable people are vaccinated most effectively. If that takes 3 months so be it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daily updates on vaccinated numbers to be published from Monday.

As well as being useful to see, implies at least a degree of confidence on Bungle’s part that we’ll hit the mid-Feb target for the top 4 vulnerable groups to be done.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Oxford reported 90% efficacy with the half dose / full doe strategy but it was a small study so has not been deemed official. But could be right!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Quick question for some who may understand this better than me, my mum is due her second jab this Friday, Pfizer being the one she had before Christmas, she hasn’t heard anything yet but will it go ahead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
On vaccine �� two doses debate BOTH

�� BioNTech today warned there was “no data” to support moves to delay the second dose of the jab

��And also today WHO said "we deliberated and came out with the following recommendation: two doses of this vaccine within 21-28 days”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here