The Vaccine Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pfizer are applying for Emergency Use Authorisation on Friday. Likely Moderna will shortly follow suit, then Oxford.

Still looking viable for first vaccinations in early December.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Pfizer are applying for Emergency Use Authorisation on Friday. Likely Moderna will shortly follow suit, then Oxford.

Still looking viable for first vaccinations in early December.

This is great news - however, not so great news, my wife who will be near the front of the queue for a vaccine has been reading shit on Facebook from all the loonies "don't know what's in it", "it's all been rushed through and not tested properly" merchants and is now waivering about having the vaccine...

I could really kill some of the ****ing idiots who spout their nonsense online, they clearly don't understand the damage they are doing from their self preserving ivory towers...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Derby Arena revealed as likely first confirmed mass vaccination centre.

Hancock said this morning first vaccines rolling out "in a matter of weeks".

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This is great news - however, not so great news, my wife who will be near the front of the queue for a vaccine has been reading shit on Facebook from all the loonies "don't know what's in it", "it's all been rushed through and not tested properly" merchants and is now waivering about having the vaccine...

I could really kill some of the ****ing idiots who spout their nonsense online, they clearly don't understand the damage they are doing from their self preserving ivory towers...
Whilst I agree there are nutters out there you can’t say for sure it’s going to be 100% safe. The older generation and the sick are nothing but collateral rats in a lab at this early stage. Personally I wouldn’t believe the present government about anything tbh..

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Within reason they are right, it has been rushed.

I’m hoping they come out with a simple run through showing how they did it so quickly, all the arguments are easy to come out and counter - it took 2 months instead of 8 because of XYZ sort of thing.

I don’t agree blocking people who post things is the right way, it fuels the nutters.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Whilst I agree there are nutters out there you can’t say for sure it’s going to be 100% safe. The older generation and the sick are nothing but collateral rats in a lab at this early stage. Personally I wouldn’t believe the present government about anything tbh..

Why the government? The vaccine has been developed and regulated by the usual procedures which have nothing to do with government.

The only thing government have added to the mix is a desire to expedite the vaccination process.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Can someone explain to me why the UK government is tendering for an AI model to measure the “HIGH VOLUME” of expected covid vaccine adverse reactions?

https://www.ft.com/content/17a306cd-be75-48b4-996e-0c2916b34797

The actual tender:

https://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:506291-2020:TEXT:EN:HTML&tabId=1

The crucial bit:

II.1.4)
Short description:
The MHRA urgently seeks an Artificial Intelligence (AI) software tool to process the expected high volume of Covid-19 vaccine Adverse Drug Reaction (ADRs) and ensure that no details from the ADRs’ reaction text are missed.

Does anyone else find this concerning?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can someone explain to me why the UK government is tendering for an AI model to measure the “HIGH VOLUME” of expected covid vaccine adverse reactions?

The actual tender:

The crucial bit:

II.1.4)
Short description:
The MHRA urgently seeks an Artificial Intelligence (AI) software tool to process the expected high volume of Covid-19 vaccine Adverse Drug Reaction (ADRs) and ensure that no details from the ADRs’ reaction text are missed.

No, because a) I couldn’t read the first link - paywall and b) the second report appeared to be a technical tender/report that is beyond my understanding.

Would it be possible for you to put it into a couple of short sentences so us simpletons understand your concerns?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why the government? The vaccine has been developed and regulated by the usual procedures which have nothing to do with government.

The only thing government have added to the mix is a desire to expedite the vaccination process.

It will be approved by the MHRA which is a government department.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The actual tender:

The crucial bit:

II.1.4)
Short description:

Continued monitoring of approved drugs is standard practice; it’s part of pharmacovigilance. I’d be worried if this wasn’t happening, not worried it is.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
No, because a) I couldn’t read the first link - paywall and b) the second report appeared to be a technical tender/report that is beyond my understanding.

Would it be possible for you to put it into a couple of short sentences so us simpletons understand your concerns?

Thought I was on your ignore list? [emoji23]. The tender is pretty easy to understand if you read it.

The medicine regulatory authority has a tender out to purchase an AI supplier to build a model so they can track the ‘expected high volume’ of adverse reactions to the covid vaccine. It’s pretty simple.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thought I was on your ignore list? [emoji23]. The tender is pretty easy to understand if you read it.

The medicine regulatory authority has a tender out to purchase an AI supplier to build a model so they can track the ‘expected high volume’ of adverse reactions to the covid vaccine. It’s pretty simple.

And your concerns are?

It looks like the government are actually doing the right thing and making sure they can monitor, record and react to any adverse events.

Clearly the word “adverse” sounds bad, but it doesn’t - an adverse event can be anywhere between mild to severe. At least here the recording mechanisms will be put in place.

I’m guessing the “high numbers” bit is because of the high numbers being administered, as opposed to they are expecting a high number of problems... I’m also guessing you think the opposite!

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They say they are expecting ‘high volumes of adverse reactions’. It’s in plain words in front of our faces.

Yes, giving the drug to an unprecedented number of people world-wide will generate high volumes.

For example, about 1 billion people take aspirin annually. This has a range of ADRs such as rash, gastrointestinal ulcerations, abdominal pain. I imagine these are around the 5% mark i.e. aspirin generates 50 million of each event per year. Let’s assume the vaccines have a similar safety profile to aspirin. Pfizer alone plan on 1.5 billion jabs next year so this one single company will generate half as many ADRs than aspirin. Add further vaccines and you can easily see why there will be high volumes.

If the article said high percentage of ADRs then you would have a reason to worry. But it didn’t, it said volume.

PS I deliberately chose aspirin to demonstrate that even a very common and accepted medication isn’t without some risk of reaction from the drug.

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes, giving the drug to an unprecedented number of people world-wide will generate high volumes.

For example, about 1 billion people take aspirin annually. This has a range of ADRs such as rash, gastrointestinal ulcerations, abdominal pain. I imagine these are around the 5% mark i.e. aspirin generates 50 million of each event per year. Let’s assume the vaccines have a similar safety profile to aspirin. Pfizer alone plan on 1.5 billion jabs next year so this one single company will generate half as many ADRs than aspirin. Add further vaccines and you can easily see why there will be high volumes.

If the article said high percentage of ADRs then you would have a reason to worry. But it didn’t, it said volume.

Brilliant explanation, thank you for the clarity.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
(not the time)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

For example, about 1 billion people take aspirin annually. This has a range of ADRs such as rash, gastrointestinal ulcerations, abdominal pain. I imagine these are around the 5% mark i.e. aspirin generates 50 million of each event per year. Let’s assume the vaccines have a similar safety profile to aspirin. Pfizer alone plan on 1.5 billion jabs next year so this one single company will generate half as many extra ADRs than aspirin. Add further vaccines and you can easily see why there will be high volumes.

PS I deliberately chose aspirin to demonstrate that even a very common and accepted medication isn’t without some risk of reaction from the drug.

Edited as I forgot to add a word.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

aspirin is taken primarily as a blood thinner to reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack which have a catastrophic outcome in 30-40% if instances ....asprin has been in circulation long enough for the ADR to be clear and documented ......there is that much hysteria about the covid vaccine and potential side effects that i think pfizer may be a tad disappointed come next year , and rightfully so , sure if you are willingly go and have the jab then fine but all this mandatory bollox won't work.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
aspirin is taken primarily as a blood thinner to reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack which have a catastrophic outcome in 30-40% if instances ....asprin has been in circulation long enough for the ADR to be clear and documented ......there is that much hysteria about the covid vaccine and potential side effects that i think pfizer may be a tad disappointed come next year , and rightfully so , sure if you are willingly go and have the jab then fine but all this mandatory bollox won't work.

Go on, I'll bite, where is vaccine mandatory.

I've seen talk of USA and possibly Australia mooting the idea, but where else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports