Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Unknown Warrior......Lest we forget

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In thinking of driving through northern France later this summer, it crossed my mind about stopping over at Verdun and its WW1 museum. Looking at a map of the 1916 battle between France and Germany, the front moved back and forth a few miles, ultimately the Germans were pushed back by just four.

Total casualties - 750,000, including 300,000 dead. This beggars belief.

In the mid-70’s as a kid the BBC repeated the amazing 1964 TV series The Great War, narrated by Michael Redgrave, where I first heard the name Verdun, a French soldier describing it as “Hell cannot be so terrible”.

RIP to all the lost souls.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
In thinking of driving through northern France later this summer, it crossed my mind about stopping over at Verdun and its WW1 museum. Looking at a map of the 1916 battle between France and Germany, the front moved back and forth a few miles, ultimately the Germans were pushed back by just four.

In the mid-70’s as a kid the BBC repeated the amazing 1964 TV series The Great War, narrated by Michael Redgrave, where I first heard the name Verdun, a French soldier describing it as “Hell cannot be so terrible”.

I remember watching that series with my Dad back in the early 60's when it was first televised and the episode about Verdun always stayed with me. It was horrific how the Germans tried to "Bleed France white" in the words of the Kaisers son (the Crown Prince) who, I believe, was in charge of that terrible offensive. I bought the CD set of the whole series several years ago and it still has the power to shock.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

My grandad fought at Gallipoli with the Inniskilling Fusiliers, came back to UK, then out to France where he was captured by the Germans at the Battle of Cambrai :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quick check, they were used for the first time during The Battle of Flers - Courcelette, which was part of The Battle of the Somme. :thumbsup:

Two great great uncles of mine, brothers, died at The Somme. Before the internet, I found their details in an amazing bible of information at Edinburgh Castle. Brave Tommies, with no choice.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Two great great uncles of mine, brothers, died at The Somme. Before the internet, I found their details in an amazing bible of information at Edinburgh Castle. Brave Tommies, with no choice.
I've always wanted to do a tour of the WW1 Battlefields but have probably left it too late now due to various health issues. But who knows, I might just say "bugger it" and stagger my way round them one day, feel a bit of a wimp moaning about my aches and pains when you think what those lads went through.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've always wanted to do a tour of the WW1 Battlefields but have probably left it too late now due to various health issues. But who knows, I might just say "bugger it" and stagger my way round them one day, feel a bit of a wimp moaning about my aches and pains when you think what those lads went through.

Sorry to hear about those issues, I hope you make it to the battlefields.

I’ve not done it yet, despite racing past on nearby Autoroutes when heading elsewhere in France and Spain on holidays. I really must take the time, for the interest and to show my respect. Auschwitz too. Not a morbid bucket list, but we can always learn the lessons of history and I’ll take my teenage kids.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Sorry to hear about those issues, I hope you make it to the battlefields.

I’ve not done it yet, despite racing past on nearby Autoroutes when heading elsewhere in France and Spain on holidays. I really must take the time, for the interest and to show my respect. Auschwitz too. Not a morbid bucket list, but we can always learn the lessons of history and I’ll take my teenage kids.

I wanted to do them too. Hoped to do them in the next couple of years with a friend, but she opted out. Maybe if there's an organised coach tour or something, I will go along - but maybe not if I'm essentially on my own. I think it's an experience that needs to be shared.

I went to Verdun a few years ago. If you do go there is an amazing cemetery there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douaumont_Ossuary

It is the largest single French military cemetery of the First World War with 16,142 graves. But there is something even more unbelievable; it wasn't clearly marked when I was there although that may have changed, but if you bend down and look through the small windows in the main building you can see the floor is just covered with the bones af at least 130,000 French and German soldiers.

This place is one of the most moving - and horrifying - of all the French and Belgian WW1 cemeteries and Ive been to a fair number of them, certainly all the main ones.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I wanted to do them too. Hoped to do them in the next couple of years with a friend, but she opted out. Maybe if there's an organised coach tour or something, I will go along - but maybe not if I'm essentially on my own. I think it's an experience that needs to be shared.

Totally agree about it being a shared experience, I had originally planned to do it with my Father in-Law (WW2 Veteran) but he sadly died in 2009. My next best hope is my 21 year old Grandson who has shown a bit of interest in WW1, and would probably be very keen on the idea if Grandad was financing the trip. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here