Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The UN

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Newsnight reporting that the UN has a toxic culture of sexual harrassment and bullying, with whistle blowers punished. Is this what happens when an organization becomes autonomous and immune from laws? Sounds grim.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newsnight reporting that the UN has a toxic culture of sexual harrassment and bullying, with whistle blowers punished. Is this what happens when an organization becomes autonomous and immune from laws? Sounds grim.

There was very recent doc about this, C4?

Raped and sexually assault staff are booted out, the perpetrators in senior positions, if anything have their position strengthened.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There was very recent doc about this, C4?

Raped and sexually assault staff are booted out, the perpetrators in senior positions, if anything have their position strengthened.

And of course because victims are scared to waive anonymity the organization can claim 'nothing to see here'. As I did with the SAS thread, I'll say that if the allegations are true this is very bad.

Another stone that needs to be lifted and, unlike the SAS issue, this one ought to be easier to examine - the UN can set up an independent inquiry allowing protected witness testamony. But will it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And of course because victims are scared to waive anonymity the organization can claim 'nothing to see here'. As I did with the SAS thread, I'll say that if the allegations are true this is very bad.

Another stone that needs to be lifted and, unlike the SAS issue, this one ought to be easier to examine - the UN can set up an independent inquiry allowing protected witness testamony. But will it?

So difficult in this case, no one polices the UN.

In Europe/UK, for example, there are domestic courts, the European Commission on Human Rights and the ECJ.

Remember the senior Oxfam officials in Chad and Haiti carrying out sex crimes on locals as young as 12.

Men in power!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Power gone to their heads. Some men when given a position of power, use it to abuse others. Weinstein, Epstein, Cosby, Saville, Berlusconi, Blatter, Nixon - the list goes on and the abuses as varied and wide as you can think.

Absolute power in the hands of a few with zero oversight is a recipe for man to become the worst kind of individual, in some cases.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
What I don’t understand is, we know this happens, and yet we continue to allow power to pool in this way.

Given the almost endless evidence that allowing too much power to be held by small groups of people (be that in organized religion, corporations, political institutions etc) is a bad thing, why aren’t we dealing with the root of the issue? Instead we keep picking up the wreckage after the fact., as if there’s no possible way we could have predicted this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here