Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ultimate REFERENDUM thread

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There seems no doubt that Cameron has asked Obama for his help but the American position on this is surely genuine. I read the words of the US ambassador over the weekend: "Every time I talk about this I will made people unhappy... but I can't say nothing. From our perspective we know that the UK makes every organisation it's part of better and stronger: the UN Security Council, Nato, many more. And one of the few organisations the UK is a member of but we're not is the EU. We need more bridges, more connections... Of course it's up to you. And of course we care. We have no stronger ally. It's your decision. But we keep saying in a respectful way, yes, we want a strong UK in a strong EU."

There's no attempt to bully or hector here. And there's no attempt to pretend that the US doesn't have a strong self-interest at stake. But perhaps, on this occasion, the self-interests of the two old allies coincide.
Not if you believe we are better off out, they don't!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Farage's take on it:

"Look, I know his family’s background. Kenya. Colonialism. There is clearly something going on there. It’s just that you know people emerge from colonialism with different views of the British. Some thought that they were really rather benign and rather good, and others saw them as foreign invaders.Obama’s family come from that second school of thought and it hasn’t quite left him yet."

Wow.

I imagine that will go down quite well with a lot of his partys supporters.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Just seen the UKIP ppb on the telly, two things, apparently they believe the ECHR is part of the EU, and that there is only 3.5 million EU citizens in the UK, they may not like it, but arent we all EU citizens?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just seen the UKIP ppb on the telly, two things, apparently they believe the ECHR is part of the EU, and that there is only 3.5 million EU citizens in the UK, they may not like it, but arent we all EU citizens?

You HAVE to sign up to it if you're part of the EU. They go hand in hand.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So our nearest and dearest the USA have said we're suddenly irrelevant and bottom of the queue if we leave....You just couldn't make it up as we all know we will be nowhere near the bottom of the queue.

cant always be bottom of the queue,eventually you get to the front.
and that dipstick wont even be there when we do.
he is just a silly foreign chap that really doesnt understand the British love a good queue.

D

Deleted member 22389

cant always be bottom of the queue,eventually you get to the front.
and that dipstick wont even be there when we do.
he is just a silly foreign chap that really doesnt understand the British love a good queue.

Is it also OK if I call you Barack, to make this special relationship feel even more special.

D

Deleted member 22389

Unbelievably a few people have come on the Radio saying that the Obama speech has swayed it for them to Remain.
The bloke who just said we have a special relationship, has just told us we are going to the back of queue for any trade deals. Why did they not mention TTIP in this speech, because that's what this is really about.

Told what to do by the EU, told what to do by Barack, can they squeeze us any further.
Where is this countries fight and pursuit for a better life. Why do people get sucked in time and time again.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You HAVE to sign up to it if you're part of the EU. They go hand in hand.

But, you can be a member of the Council of Europe, and therefore a member of the ECHR without being in the EU, and seeing as only Kazackstan and Belarus, aren't in it due to Human rights abuses, ee wouldn't be in great company.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Unbelievably a few people have come on the Radio saying that the Obama speech has swayed it for them to Remain.
The bloke who just said we have a special relationship, has just told us we are going to the back of queue for any trade deals. Why did they not mention TTIP in this speech, because that's what this is really about.

Told what to do by the EU, told what to do by Barack, can they squeeze us any further.
Where is this countries fight and pursuit for a better life. Why do people get sucked in time and time again.

It looks like the current electorate have more in common with Chamberlain than Churchill unfortunately.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
But, you can be a member of the Council of Europe, and therefore a member of the ECHR without being in the EU, and seeing as only Kazackstan and Belarus, aren't in it due to Human rights abuses, ee wouldn't be in great company.

"Council of Europe"? "Kazackstan"? Sounds like a Harry Potter book.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So Obama says the UK is at the back of the queue if we want to negotiate trade deals lol....what a pathetic man Obama is and basically he's threatened us.

The 'Special relationship' is alive and well as long as we do exactly what the US wants and represent their national interests .. will we ever learn.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I don't consider myself an EU citizen - I'm a UK citizen.

D

Deleted member 22389

It looks like the current electorate have more in common with Chamberlain than Churchill unfortunately.

I don't get it, I really don't. Are people really going to lay down and accept this shit. My wife is completely the opposite to me poltically, however I know she will be voting for Leave, but even my wife who rarely shares a political opinion thought Obama was out of order today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So our nearest and dearest the USA have said we're suddenly irrelevant and bottom of the queue if we leave....You just couldn't make it up as we all know we will be nowhere near the bottom of the queue.

Pathetic comment

dy81s8.jpg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't get it, I really don't. Are people really going to lay down and accept this shit.

The priorities of a privileged consumer society unfortunately, £££ and being able to watch x factor is more important than democracy, self determination and the preservation of the UK as a distinct nation state.

The global political/corporate establishment always thought they could frighten/manipulate the UK population into voting for the status quo no matter how unpalatable this was .. maybe they were right. Saying that the British people normally come good in the end .. unfortunately we normally always leave it to the edge of the precipice, hopefully we won't be too late this time.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wasn't Churchill very much in favour of a united Europe?
He wrote to Anthony Eden in 1942

"Hard as it is to say now.. I look forward to a United States of Europe, in which the barriers between the nations will be greatly minimised and unrestricted travel will be possible.’"

Still,I expect he was just scaremongering

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn't Churchill very much in favour of a united Europe?
He wrote to Anthony Eden in 1942

"Hard as it is to say now.. I look forward to a United States of Europe, in which the barriers between the nations will be greatly minimised and unrestricted travel will be possible.’"

Still,I expect he was just scaremongering

No, I think you'll find the old boy had his mind more on empire building. Europe dominated by a benevolent Britain - maybe something to replace the more distant empire lost.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I'm totally embarassed about the way we bang on about the 'special relationship'.The Americans couldn't care less about us and I couldn't care less about them.We're like the new kid at school who's desperate to be liked and keeps looking out for signs of approval.Most Americans couldn't even point us out on a map.

Obama is a failed President and what he said today showed what an ass he is.Usually we are Americas little girlfriend but today Cameron owned Obama and had him round his little finger saying what he wanted him to say like a dutiful wife.Pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here