• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Final
===

A mammoth clash. Comedy doesn't get bigger than this.

===

Fawlty Towers - 1975-1979, 12 episodes

1700261544656.png

ROUTE TO THE FINAL -

A slightly divisive show on here, with some dismissing it as simply silly and dated.

No arguing with it's performance so far, topping a fairly weak Group A with ease. The Royle Family was it's next victim in the Round of 16 and Basil was ruthless, winning 223 - 65. The quarters saw another big win against Not The Nine O'Clock News, and the Semis saw the hotelier best the Irish Priest, as they knocked out The People's Champion, Father Ted.

Has it had a very easy run to the final? Some would argue yes. But there's nowhere to hide now, and whoever wins this match up will be taking home the trophy, and ultimately that's all that will matter.

===
VS
===

Blackadder (all series) -
1982-1999, 26 episodes

1700482324230.png

ROUTE TO THE FINAL -

Edmund and the gang cruised through through Group D as expected, then showed their credentials by absolutely smashing the relatively popular Porridge in the Round of 16 (179-54). The Office was the next contender to be demolished in the quarters (204-73) before Edmund survived an early scare to beat Only Fools fairly comfortably in the Semi (144 - 81).

Captain Slack Bladder has consistentlyposted big, big numbers. Will it be enough here?

VOTE NOW!

UKCC24 - Group Stage Round Up
UKCC24 - R16 Round Up

Quarter finals;
Fawlty Towers battered Not The Nine O'Clock News (150 - 37)
Father Ted squeaked past I'm Alan Partridge (145 - 117)
Only Fools and Horses beat The Fast Show (154 - 103)
Blackadder made short work of The Office (204 - 73)

Semi finals;
Fawlty Towers beat Father Ted (115-78)
Blackadder beat Only Fools & Horses (144-81)

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A bit of a damp squib of a final, in my book. That's just how the draw pans out though. Anything other than a massive win for Blackadder here will be a big surprise.

Many thanks @Mellotron for running an excellent competition. I've really enjoyed it and it has definitely prompted me to watch a few of the contenders again.
Look out for the USCC24 at some point when I can be bothered.

Tempted to drift into films and music at some point also, but welcome any suggestions.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
No contest. Fawlty Towers had its day but now suffers badly by comparison.

Blackadder achieved across its series an absolutely beautiful mix of characters, Flashheart alone matches Cleese’s performance as Basil Fawlty, and was sparingly used.

Then there’s the ending of Blackadder 4, which I suspect was felt by all of us on first viewing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i'm struggling to see anything other than a draw here to be honest.......Blackadder spanned centuries and had classic lines from some true stars of English comedy , the final moments of the final episode were a massive sideways shunt to viewers of the sacrifices by soldiers back in the days , Fawlty Towers had some side splitting passages of foolery ..............not sure how Monty Python got knocked out , surely the crew that gave us Holy Grail and Brian were worthy of a finals spot ....c'est la vie

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Blackadder. Fawlty Towers is vastly overrated.

Superb championship, Mellotron. Thanks for running it 👍

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Two worthy finalists and two shows that made me laugh out loud (before LOL was even a thing) on first viewing. Both have aged (though Blackadder Goes Fourth maybe not so much) but that's ok on a message board where the overwhelming demographic must be aged between 45 and 70 these days.

Blackadder wins for me. There was more of it, it was very cleverly written, the ending was absolutely incredible and it made me laugh a lot. And I still use 'wetter than a haddock's bathing costume" today.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There was, and may be still is, a bar in Magaluf called the Cutty Sark. I DJ'd there in 1994 to 1996 and the owner played Fawlty Towers all day every day non stop using the 4 VHS videos on repeat. As they cooked a mean fry-up I was always there during the day and even now know the script word for word. But it brought the punters in which I don't understand. You're on holiday, go to the beach!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Absolutely love both who are worthy finalists. I've gone for Blackadder though on a coin flip, even though at the Worthing game on Saturday we couldn't stop quoting Fawlty Towers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
General Melchett: Field Marshall Haigh has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.

Captain Blackadder: Will this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches, and walking very slowly towards the enemy, Sir?

Captain Darling: How can you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here