Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tower of London poppies are fake, trite and inward-looking

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2014/oct/28/tower-of-london-poppies-ukip-remembrance-day?CMP=fb_gu

Badge-Jonathan-Jones-on-A-001.jpg

I really hope somebody gets hold of this bellend and beats the shite out of him.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
His face does look very punchable

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The beauty of art is everyone can have a different opinion, personally I don't care for his about the poppies but each to their own.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He has a point, the red poppy is mutating (some might argue already has) into a symbol of nationalism, and lost most of it's original purpose as a memorial to those killed by war. That's a tragedy.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Seems like quite a valid point of view, it does appear to be more spectacle than memorial.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He has a point, the red poppy is mutating (some might argue already has) into a symbol of nationalism, and lost most of it's original purpose as a memorial to those killed by war. That's a tragedy.

I don't think it that's true at all. Every time a small number of nationalists try to hijack it they get short thrift from everyone every time. The only thing that is becoming tiresome is that every year some pillock writes a long rant in the Guardian or New Statesman or Indie that they aren't wearing a poppy with the usual cliches such as this article. Every sodding year we get the same. People hijacking the poppy appeal to tell us about their radical anti-war credentials. Every year.

If you don't want to wear a poppy then don't. It's a free country thanks to those who we are remembering by wearing these poppies but don't make a big song and dance about the reasons why you won't wear it. It's all a bit look-at-me.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I apologise in advance for being trite and weightist but the US Ambassador could really do with shedding a kilo or two!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't think it that's true at all. Every time a small number of nationalists try to hijack it they get short thrift from everyone every time. The only thing that is becoming tiresome is that every year some pillock writes a long rant in the Guardian or New Statesman or Indie that they aren't wearing a poppy with the usual cliches such as this article. Every sodding year we get the same. People hijacking the poppy appeal to tell us about their radical anti-war credentials. Every year.

If you don't want to wear a poppy then don't. It's a free country thanks to those who we are remembering by wearing these poppies but don't make a big song and dance about the reasons why you won't wear it. It's all a bit look-at-me.

Note the reaction of the majority to the small minority that booed the start if the minutes silence at Wolves just now............

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton

I have to agree with this. I refuse to wear one. I can remember the fallen without plastic poppies.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
OK if you don't wear a poppy...what other symbol would you use to respect those who gave their lives...what is annoying are the peaceniks hijacking the poppy,changing the colour to white to show their anti war stance...as for that reporter...I would willing smash him one,disrespecting my grandfathers shattered body a month before the war ended at the second battle of the Somme. ...after the 3 years he battled he never got home to his family and pillock reporters think it's cool to disparage their memory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here