Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The today program BBC radio 4

It has to be said, its amazing how many whispering campaigns are started about asian players who have an alleged "bad attitude". It was the same in the 80's against black players, hence Norman Cowans was not picked as much as he should have. Its also strange that some batsmen can fail, and fail and fail, but then get chance after chance, but others have to score a 100 to keep their place in the side

Did Norman Cowans' attitude let him down? Was he good enough to warrent more test matches than he got?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is a sad fact that fewer and fewer schools play cricket now. Many playing fields have been built over, and even council parks don't provide pitches for hire like they used to.
Partly due to finance, and partly I think due to the increasing malady of elf'n safety which overshadows so many things these days, Cricket is played with a hard ball; it can hurt! Schools will be sued if someone's little darling gets belted with a cricket ball. If kids start an impromptu game, it will be stopped - elf'n safety again, and risk of damage to property (windows).
Sadly, I can't see cricket surviving the next hundred years (unfortunately, though, I will not be around to be proved right).

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It is a sad fact that fewer and fewer schools play cricket now. Many playing fields have been built over, and even council parks don't provide pitches for hire like they used to.
Partly due to finance, and partly I think due to the increasing malady of elf'n safety which overshadows so many things these days, Cricket is played with a hard ball; it can hurt! Schools will be sued if someone's little darling gets belted with a cricket ball. If kids start an impromptu game, it will be stopped - elf'n safety again, and risk of damage to property (windows).
Sadly, I can't see cricket surviving the next hundred years (unfortunately, though, I will not be around to be proved right).

when i was at school we had a artifical wicket at longhill, but the teachers moved heaven and earth to make sure we had a game. we had to bat with only one pad as that was all we had, but there you go. this was at the height of the teachers strike too. I take my hat off to Vaughny and all the teachers who made an effort. But the thing is we were kids who wanted to play anyway.

The point of this thread is black kids (and what's left of white kids in inner london)dont want to play. The game is alive for Asian kids in yorkshire or lancashire, but for most kids in inner London they dont relate to it. Its such a shame. No fault of governments or anyone, no matter what the studenty mugs on here might say, just a cultural shift. Everyone wants to be Ledley f***ing King round my way.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But if you look at the current set up you have a few asians in the side, Shah, Bopara, patel, Panesaar, rashid, mahmood

When I was a school, we played inter school matches ( when I came down to sussex, Falmer played Coliers school, longhill( with the Wells brothers)varndean, patcham....that was all).

I was selected for Sussex Young Cricketers and the team was made up of Hurstpierpoint College, Ardingly College, lancing College and Brighton College players. In fact, our trials were held at Ardingly. Coming from a state school, I did feel like and outsider. I also played for Wiltshire School boys and again I was one of two only state school players, the rest coming from public schools.

The current West Indian team is full of asians, Chanderpaul, ramdin, etc

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasnt it the ILEA who decided to ban competitive sport in schools because they said that those of lesser ability were not given the same opportunity as the better players.

Wasnt it the ILEA who decided to ban competitive sport in schools because they said that those of lesser ability were not given the same opportunity as the better players.

In Australia good young cricketers are encouraged given special attention and sent to an academy where they are taught to win especially against THE POMS. None of this left wing nonsense. I hope England can give The Mighty Aussies a run for their money, but I fear the worst.Win Win Win at all costs. Come on England

IronSeagull

Nov 2, 2008
Kids are given no chance to play cricket at schools. The only way you'll see young'uns playing now is if they do it of their own back after school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here