Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The ticking Profit and Sustainability (FFP) timebomb...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Not sure why? They broke the rules and in Evertons case voted for.
I just think if City go unpunished for 100+ charges whilst other clubs, rightly, get punished that those punished clubs will be a bit miffed and would probably be wondering why.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I just think if City go unpunished for 100+ charges whilst other clubs, rightly, get punished that those punished clubs will be a bit miffed and would probably be wondering why.
Everton admitted breaking the rules and it's 1 breech which takes a lot less time, even less as they pleaded guilty.

They can bitch and moan all they want, they still broke the rules.

Forests defence is also laughable

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Everton admitted breaking the rules and it's 1 breech which takes a lot less time, even less as they pleaded guilty.

Yep, I know. I'm not disputing that.

I'm just suggesting that should City get away with their charges that Everton may well wonder why.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yep, I know. I'm not disputing that.

I'm just suggesting that should City get away with their charges that Everton may well wonder why.
That seems unlikely. But the question is will they get a punishment which is in proportion for the number of breaches?

Relegated by two divisions, stripped of every trophy they won in the intervening period and paying the full legal costs of the investigation would seem about right from what I've read.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes
Can't simply be 'do it every year get the same punishment'.
Maybe that's what will happen but I don't think it's fair.

They have only just been given the punishment. Any breaches from that date should have an extra tariff applied to the sanction. Nothing before. It should just be the sanction as normal.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Quite. It's the difference between prosecuting a speeding ticket and Bernie Madoff. One of those cases is FAR more complex than the other

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Should Everton receive a larger than 10 points deduction for being repeat offenders?
Was the 10 point a bog standard punishment for a binary offence of overspending? (I understand the premier league were seeking a 12 point deduction).

I mean, if their offence this time was at 1/10th of the rate of their previous infringement, shouldn't they receive 1/10th of the punishment? In which case, it might be a 1pt deduction for the offence, then an additional point or two for it being a repeat offence.*

(*I don't know how badly they've failed this time. It might be equally as bad or worse).

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
It is right that both clubs be punished (in the same season). How else is that form of 'cheating' to be stamped out? Man City will get their own time in the limelight. Clubs cannot be allowed to mock the so called integrity of the competitions.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
City and Chelsea have both been responsible for inflating the transfer market creating the issues for the other clubs.

City are now in a position to back away from that approach, having stockpiled a massively expensive squad and hidden chunks of their wage bill for many years.
I really hope the book gets thrown at them eventually, but I doubt, I will live to see it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Everton are trying to wriggle out on a technicality I see arguing because PSR periods overlap, they have already been punished for 2/3 of the period.

Hopefully they get double the punishment for a repeat offence now.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
FFP has never been, and was never intended to be, a level playing field. UEFA state as much themselves on their website.

The Premier League used to be a cosy (and dull, which is rich coming from me I acknowledge ) duopoly of Manchester United and Arsenal. Abramovich came along and was a disruptor with his wealth in 2003, making it a three horse competition, Mansour then did the same in 2008.

Fearful of not being guaranteed Champions League positions the elite created FFP, giving lip service to financial cost control but in reality trying to create a model that prevented ANOTHER Chelsea or Manchester City arising. Everton tried it to a degree (owner out in £750m in 5 years, where his money comes from is not for public consumptio) but then had to slam on brakes, albeit too late, due to PSR. Newcastle are now finding the same.

When Leicester had the temerity to win the Premier League in 2016, the response of the Sneaky Six was to change the financial distribution rules to tilt the money more in favour of themselves, making it even more difficult for smaller clubs, such as Crystal Palace for example, to not only win things, but more importantly qualify for CL which is worth up to £150 million in a season. The threat of creating/joining a franchise league was used to make the ‘Other 14’ cave into the demands of the elite.

But that wasn’t enough, as we saw with the Frankenstei’s monster that was Project Big Powergrab, which would have resulted in voting rights, control and decision making in the whole of football being effectively transferred to just six clubs.

The failure of SuperLeague has left the elite licking their wounds, they are used to getting their own way. The likes of the Glazers and John Henry are just biding their time, trying to find an alternate route to getting what they want by persuading their fans that if SL is set up then their clubs will be less competitive unless they join it. John Henry is a very smart guy, why else would his young wife marry the 74 year old commodities trading billionaire?

The Premier League is at war with itself, which is why Masters and Parry are being grilled by politicians this week. The ‘New Deal’ which would see a modest increase in money being transferred from PL to EFL has not been signed off, and the £88m of extra interim funding for this season withheld whilst PL clubs squabble over how the money will be split between the 20.
Class mention of them up the road EP

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Everton are trying to wriggle out on a technicality I see arguing because PSR periods overlap, they have already been punished for 2/3 of the period.

As I understand it from next season you can't be done twice in the same season, accounts are now due in Dec so punishments can be for the same season.

There would always be an overlap the first season this comes in

O and Everton voted for it.

Over to @El Presidente to correct me completely 😂

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

So punish them for the other 1/3. Another 3 point deduction, letting them off .333*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here