Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Theat of Nuclear Annihilation in 1980s Britain

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was a wee pup when the 80's nuclear thang was going on so I don't really know how real the threat was but being about 5 or 6 a the time I still remember being terrified we were going to get the bomb dropped on us. My Mum belonged to some local council nuclear war training group of some description. I remember she used to attend it on a Wednesday evening. One Thursday I came down for breakfast and saw a Geiger counter thingy on the table. I remember getting really scared thinking the 4 min warning was imminent.
As I say, I'm not sure how real the threat was, but the paranoia levels at the time coupled with horrific programmes and films like When The Wind Blows had the little Nibster in quite the funkle.

‘When The Wind Blows’ still haunts me. I hope the little Nibster (now a Clampling) is not having the nightmares return now. A deeply upsetting animation.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ha! Was just looking back at this old thread (pun intended) I started years ago, and noticed the typo in the title :ffsparr:

Anyway, the version on YouTube has long since disappeared, but if you want to watch Threads (genuinely essential viewing) you can do so here - [video]https://archive.org/details/threads_201712[/video].
Or you can buy the remastered DVD from Amazon using Bozza's link, obvs.

I was shown that in the classroom in 1984, Pooed my pants then, and I ain't doing it again.

The teacher, who is a good friend now, assured me that there was probably one reserved for our area.

To think that Putin would go to all that expense for little ol' Brighton. Must be that secret thingy going on in Southwick Tunnel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here