Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Tate Modern......

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
When the Titanic offspring were younger (10-18)... it was one of their favourite places to visit on a day out in London.

Chinster

Aug 7, 2011
Maybe i just don't get it, my 3 year old can create better stuff than most of the crap on display there!
don't get me wrong, some of the paintings upstairs are great, Kandinsky etc... but its mostly just bollox. One exhibit was a pile of about 20 bricks! I can see that in my back garden FFS!
When the Titanic offspring were younger (10-18)... it was one of their favourite places to visit on a day out in London.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Maybe i just don't get it, my 3 year old can create better stuff than most of the crap on display there!
don't get me wrong, some of the paintings upstairs are great, Kandinsky etc... but its mostly just bollox. One exhibit was a pile of about 20 bricks! I can see that in my back garden FFS!

Nailed it in your opening sentence.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Be careful your opinion is not as good as some pretentious art critic and you are showing your ignorance for speaking out but for what it's worth I completely agree with you.
Its absolute crap it seems art is all about expressing yourself not talent so if I take a dump in the street is it ok as I am expressing myself, Emperors New Clothes is the perfect summary?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
[MENTION=20767]Chinster[/MENTION] going admit it, you didnt go to the Tate Modern did you, you just wanted to show of your one year old art work

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Personally speaking, I love Tate Modern. The key word there is personal. I happen to enjoy looking at something odd every now and then. Whether it is art or not I don't really care.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I really enjoyed the Tate Modern the times I've been, but I haven't been in years. They had quite a few mechanical sculptures one time I went, very cool to watch them.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Anyone see the Russian scribble on a painting on the news yesterday? Worth millions apparently, all it is is a black canvas with 2 purple lines down the middle!
Art critics are pompous pricks!
Anyone see Rio's World Cup wind ups years ago were they got David James to look at a 5 year olds painting, and he said how amazing it was etc.....

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Got dragged into the Tate yesterday while on a day trip to London.
Mrs C wanted a bit of culture.
What an absolute pile of bollox!
This is art apparently!!!!!!!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/photo1td.jpg/

Not a big fan of that particular painting, but some of his other work is beautiful (Cy Twombly)

article-2011764-0CE2031F00000578-923_634x407.jpg

If you are an art sceptic and fancy a giggle have a look at this piece about the Turner Prize from the Daily Mash, good fun!

Fisher works in the unusual medium of paint – a substance more usually associated with interior decoration – rather than conventional materials such as mouldy carpet tiles and bottles of monkey urine.

And instead of being placed up a tree and then verbally abused by two schoolchildren dressed as Herman Goering, the work is hung, using a hooking device, on a wall.

Art critic Julian Cook said: “In a wonderful trompe d’oeil, we see what appears to be fruit in the image, yet it is in no sense real or edible.

“Many gallery visitors have attempted to pick the fruit from the bowl, only to realise it is an ingenious, two dimensional representation.

“By locating her work on the wall, rather than on the floor, she forces the viewer to reconsider notions of periphery and perspective.”

Fisher, who describes her work as ‘relaxing’, has inspired a movement dubbed Neoconceptualism, or ‘paintings of things’ which has dominated this year’s Awards.

Other works up for the prize are an oil rendering of a cat, entitled ‘Cheeky Face’ and a water colour of some cows.

Painting of fruit tipped for Turner Prize

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Got dragged to an art exhibition on Sunday in Nottingham as stayed there after the Derby game. It was more bemusing than those tate Modern paintings, the gallery pretty much just consisted of a stack of paper in the middle of the room apparantly there was some deep meaning behind it. I dont get some art.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here