Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The students are at it again after the Queen's Speech

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Anti Austerity protests? More like anti democracy

To be fair, one of the placards reads "get the Tories out" so I guess you're right, that person is anti democracy. What do they think we should have then, dictatorship, communism, national socialsim?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A lot of degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on. When I was working, the youngsters coming in had degrees, but were doing the same job as me, who left school at 16.
We need apprenctices for manual, practical jobs, engineering & construction. We need firefighters, coastguards & poice.
We're desperately short on the professions you mention? I'm sure I read that the police were making cuts for a start.

They were probably doing the same job as you, but they didn't need to invest 20 odd years of service (you didn't specify).

The coastguards I know, including my brother in law do it as a second job. His degree has got him to a certain level of the national trust and then works.part time for the coastguard.

Lots of inverse snobbery and distaste towards the student.

Why is further learning so frowned upon?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A lot of degrees aren't worth the paper they're printed on. When I was working, the youngsters coming in had degrees, but were doing the same job as me, who left school at 16.
We need apprenctices for manual, practical jobs, engineering & construction. We need firefighters, coastguards & police.
Imagine the construction and engineering industry without further learning? Ha ha!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You need the jobs first.

Shame these are all being cut then.
There are still vacancies advertised.

Barrel of Fun, not everyone can be a civil engineer or architect.
I didn't think you were such a snob looking down your nose at manual workers.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Imagine the construction and engineering industry without further learning? Ha ha!

Ha ha! Ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha! (What's that all about?)

Maybe 10% of construction jobs really require a degree education?

A democracy where the party that gained the highest number of votes was.......drumroll.......the Conservatives!

Democratic enough for you whinger?

What bloody hypocrites you lot are - your "democratic" government is banning strikes even if the highest number of votes agrees with them.

It's one law for the Etonians and another for the organisations of ordinary working people

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There are still vacancies advertised.

Barrel of Fun, not everyone can be a civil engineer or architect.
I didn't think you were such a snob looking down your nose at manual workers.
Where have I professed to being a snob, Yorkie? 50% of my working career has been in low paid manual jobs. I dislike that aversion you suggested.

You have completely misinterpreted and misrepresented my views.

If anything, you have shown yourself to be a bigot in your posts and dismissive of people who work hard to gain a 'worthless degree'.

I've had enough of you. In my day... :yawn:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What bloody hypocrites you lot are - your "democratic" government is banning strikes even if the highest number of votes agrees with them.

you'd agree with the policy if there was a more suitable threshold? or do you think the ordinary working people disrupted by industrial action matter less?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

It's one law for the Etonians and another for the organisations of ordinary working people

That's what you find with democratically elected governments, they are given the power to put White Papers to the House of Commons for debate, which if supported by a majority of MPs, are then passed over to the Lords for further debate. If, and only if, they also vote in favour of the Bill it is then passed on to the monarch to receive royal ascent.

Easy enough for you?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ha ha! Ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha! (What's that all about?)

Maybe 10% of construction jobs really require a degree education?
Thunder Bolt was inferring that degrees were worthless. She then went on to mention various industries. I was simply pointing out that her world is not the real world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here