Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The striker situation

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Glenn Murray was utterly magnificent in that game - an absolute masterclass in the lone striker role. But, with 15 minutes to go he looked exhausted, and as a result we were less able to keep the ball in their half. It was very clear that fresh legs were needed, but because the only available options were Locadia - who plays in a different style

That's a very diplomatic way of saying "massively lazy ****". That one where he decided it was offside (he wasn't) so that he didn't have to chase after, genuinely unbelievable. He literally had one job coming on - close down and work hard. He strolled around.

Also, I think calling Hemed "exactly the same style" as GM is being very kind. He's not big enough to be a true target man, nor is his hold up play or heading that good. I'm not really sure exactly what type of striker Hemed is, he's in between about 3 different styles. That said, I agree that I would've had Hemed on the bench, as he would have at least worked hard for the final 10 mins, which Locadia refused to do.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's a very diplomatic way of saying "massively lazy ****". That one where he decided it was offside so that he didn't have to chase after, genuinely unbelievable. He literally had one job coming on - close down and work hard. He strolled around.

Also, I think calling Hemed "exactly the same style" as GM is being very kind. He's not big enough to be a true target man, nor is his hold up play or heading that good. I'm not really sure exactly what type of striker Hemed is, he's in between about 3 different styles. That said, I agree that I would've had Hemed on the bench, as he would have at least worked hard for the final 10 mins, which Locadia refused to do.

Some of Hemed’s headed goals have been outstanding.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair enough, though that's almost irrelevant to the point I was making. What if he HAD needed to come off after 70 minutes? What if he'd got injured? Or was sailing even closer to a second yellow card?

What possible reason is there to NOT have the only obvious direct replacement, available on the bench? :shrug:
Maybe Chris thinks that if Glenn had to come off, we'd be better with Locadia replacing him than Tomer? Obviously a different style of player, but perhaps he offers some things Chris likes, so was the preference on balance.

Or, perhaps Chris thought that if Glenn had to come off early, Tomer would be his ideal replacement, just ahead of Locadia, but Locadia offered something different for the scenario where Chris wanted to change things, so overall he went with Locadia?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I agree with all of that and of course remember all of that in great detail SB . . And yet we’ve scored goals galore, had 3 of our most successful seasons ever mostly thanks to our efforts upfront. Incredible isn’t it ? What a terrible situation.
3 of our most successful seasons ever - absolutely, couldn't agree more. But 'goals galore'? - that is gilding the lily just a tad isn't it!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a very diplomatic way of saying "massively lazy ****". That one where he decided it was offside so that he didn't have to chase after, genuinely unbelievable.

OOOH. For the first time ever, I'm actually going to DEFEND Jurgen Locadia!

I know the very moment you are describing, and actually, it was a decent bit of awareness from the overpriced Dutch bedroom DJ. The ball was passed down the channel, behind the United right back, but he realized he'd mistimed his run and would be flagged offside IF he engaged the ball or defender. So he rightly checked his run, and urged the next closest player (Kayal?) to chase it. It meant that instead of United restarting with an immediate free kick near the half way line, Young had to run back to his 18 yard line to retrieve it, then bring it out under pressure from Kayal.

Its not a GLOWING endorsement of the expensive tatoo'ed flop, but its the best I've got...

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I know the very moment you are describing, and actually, it was a decent bit of awareness from the overpriced Dutch bedroom DJ. The ball was passed down the channel, behind the United right back, but he realized he'd mistimed his run and would be flagged offside IF he engaged the ball or defender. So he rightly checked his run, and urged the next closest player (Kayal?) to chase it. It meant that instead of United restarting with an immediate free kick near the half way line, Young had to run back to his 18 yard line to retrieve it, then bring it out under pressure from Kayal.

Its not a GLOWING endorsement of the expensive tatoo'ed flop, but its the best I've got...

Completely correct. Certainly not laziness on Locadia's part.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Completely correct. Murray would have carried on running and been flagged, of course.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
That's a very diplomatic way of saying "massively lazy ****". That one where he decided it was offside (he wasn't) so that he didn't have to chase after, genuinely unbelievable. He literally had one job coming on - close down and work hard. He strolled around.

Watched it back on SKY - he was only about 10 yards offside!

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Here we go again.

- This season the club has started with Tomer & Glenn as the only fit strikers,

No we didn't - Locadia was fit and would probably have come on if we hadn't had to use a sub replacing Bruno.
Far too early to write him off - did you hear Hughton at the fans forum? He was raving about Locadia saying he had taken time to settle but was now sharp, fit and raring to go.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some of Hemed’s headed goals have been outstanding.

He's not bad at heading, but I don't think his overall link up play is even close to Murray's, and that includes headed flick ons etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Ha. Fair enough, sounds like you might've had a better view of it than I did in the North Stand. From where I was, it looked like he decided to stop because he thought an offside flag was coming.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Should anything happen to Glenn and also allowing for the fact that's he's 34, we are left with the unproven Locadia (and a different type of forward) and the seemingly far from full fitness and also unproven Andone. Surely there is no way we can allow Hemed to leave on loan and presumably one more striker is top priority for 1st January? Really difficult for the club to judge and keep everyone happy but a couple of injuries and we are suddenly very short.

Maybe due to his fitness or more to do with how he plays Murray is very unlikely to be exhausted in the 90th minute. He doesn't often run, and never fast, so may not tire in the same way as others. He also has stages of the game where he is able to recover. Whenever there is a break in play he isn't standing around arguing he is already strolling into position for the next move. He doesn't strike me as someone who is likely to get tired and need replacing. However we could've needed to change formation if we were a goal down and trying to get something from the game. Therefore Locadia is a more sensible choice for the bench then Hemed

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Far be it for me to have the temerity to question Sir Chris, after that magnificent win on Sunday, but.... it seemed to me (from before the game, not ONLY in hindsight), that Tomer Hemed's absence on the bench was an error of judgment.

Glenn Murray was utterly magnificent in that game - an absolute masterclass in the lone striker role. But, with 15 minutes to go he looked exhausted, and as a result we were less able to keep the ball in their half. It was very clear that fresh legs were needed, but because the only available options were Locadia - who plays in a different style, or an out of position Bissouma - it was completely understandable that CH felt that leaving an exhausted Murray on was less risky than changing anything. All perfectly understandable if those really were the only possible alternatives, but when you had a perfectly decent back-up striker, of exactly the same style as Murray, sat watching in the stands, and then training on his own in Hove Park later that evening, it seems absolutely baffling.

I just don't get it. Our style is built around Murray's role. We have two players who can play it, and we don't use one of them :shrug:

I disagree................... Murray was having an absolute ''ball'' out there on Sunday. He caused them problems right up till the 95th minute. Their defence was terrified of him. When that the case you can't remove him from the field.

Secondly, it is always better to have a different type of forward on the bench. You correctly state that Tomer and Glenn are similar type players. We weren't to know the game would go so well before it started. What if we had gone behind and the Murray/ Hemed type of striker wasn't working ? We wouldn't have had a different type of striker to bring on to try and change to a Plan B.

We got it 100% correct..............That won't always be the case but in this instance Chris got it ''bang on the money''. He is not perfect by any means but in this game it was as close to perfect in terms of game plan and game management as we are gonna get this season

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Secondly, it is always better to have a different type of forward on the bench. You correctly state that Tomer and Glenn are similar type players. We weren't to know the game would go so well before it started. What if we had gone behind and the Murray/ Hemed type of striker wasn't working ? We wouldn't have had a different type of striker to bring on to try and change to a Plan B.

Do you want to point me at the part where I ever suggested that Hemed should be the ONLY forward on the bench? :shrug:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Ha. Fair enough, sounds like you might've had a better view of it than I did in the North Stand. From where I was, it looked like he decided to stop because he thought an offside flag was coming.

If you're in the North, you really have no business talking about anything which happened in the opposite half of the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here