Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Striker Issue!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it just me that is VERY happy with the way the club is being run and thinking Bloom is spunking enough of his cash that I don't feel I can complain about anything?
No.

I'm really disappointed we didn't get another striker, but I'm disappointed for Mr Bloom as much as I am for myself. I'm constantly grateful for what he has done and is doing for our club. I am a complete licker.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
For a number of years now, we seem to have a real striker issue - that we can't seem to sign them! Has someone cast a spell over the Amex or something??

Every August & January we go through this - "We couldn't compete" etc etc etc.

Only Ulloa, Hemed (Debatable) and Murray have been good signings for us, who can score goals. The rest seem to be panic signings who can't cut the mustard.

But we never have enough fire power! Its the same every blinking year - What the hell is going to happen when Muzza gets injured! Baldock.......!!!!!

Bloom - You need to take a gamble (no pun intended) mate - this is what other clubs do, Gray, Kodja etc etc....

Wake UP!!!

So you thought it was worth starting a new thread to offer the same old complaints. Obviously Tony Bloom, Paul Barber, Chris Hughton and Paul Winstanley are aware that we need a new striker. However, you offer Gray and Kodija as examples but both were bought by clubs with parachute payments, as was Pritchard who we were apparently close to signing. You either need parachute payments to spend big or take a big gamble like Derby did with Vydra. Or did you want us to gamble £8 million on a player who scored 3 goals last season in this division?

As for Hemed, it's hardly debatable that a £1 million signing who scores 17 goals in their first season is a good signing. He may not have done quite as well this season yet but he's definitely a good signing.

As I said on so many similar threads yesterday, it is disappointing we didn't get a striker but some of the over reactions are ridiculous. To suggest that they weren't chasing a striker up to the last chance yesterday is ridiculous. It's some of our so called fans who need to wake up, not Tony Bloom.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This is true, we do have a very good squad with cover in every position except for the strikers. I am personally a bit gutted that we couldn't get one on board but I am not complaining or suggesting that we are not trying. Signing strikers does seem to pose more problems for us than most teams in this league though...every transfer window. We have done well to get BZ and GM but they both wanted to come here.

I can only assume that we would have to break the wage structure to get the forwards we need and clearly in the long term that is not a good idea.

I think this lack of striker has reduced our chances of promotion to the play off lottery again. It says something about me that I am disappointed about that :lolol:

I think this is a very fair reflection. I'm not sure we'd have challenged for the top two even with signing a striker but I'm sure we won't compete with the likes of Newcastle and Villa after all the signings they've made. I am confident we'll challenge for a top six place again and, if we're up there in January, we'll have the same discussion again about signing a striker.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hemed is okey but not elite. You are forgetting he also took the penalties so 17 - 5 = 12 goals in open play. Okey but nothing spectacular.

Very, very harsh on Hemed. He scored a few penalties, that is true, but he still had a decent return for his first season in English football without them. And, given our penalty issues in recent years, I'm surprised any Brighton fan is so dismissive of a player scoring them.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
We were equal top scorers in the division last year - without Murray. And with only half a season from Knockhaert . Whats the problem ?? Plus everyone else on the pitch can score goals . Glad they didn't make a rash panic buy at the last minute . Also we 've got about 5 decent attacking youngsters who should be given a chance to integrate into the squad. The kid from Madrid , The Iceland giant , the guy from Vancouver . I bet at least one of them is decent . If we can get more than 72 goals this season we 'll be thereabouts again - 3rd ??

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I've read so many negative comments and while I'm disappointed we didn't get the extra striker we were looking for, it would seem that the majority of people posting would have been satisfied if we'd simply splashed £10m + on any old striker that doesn't actually improve the quality of our squad. Like ourselves, other clubs have refused to sell to us for the players we've targeted. I can remember when we signed Skalak it was stated that he can play either out wide or in the number 10 role - I therefore think that CH and the Board would only entertain spending the money on buying someone who could actually fill the no.10 role better than the likes of Skalak, Knocky, Murphy or March. CH clearly feels we have the depth in our squad and play others in different roles without wasting millions on 'just another name'.

Agree with this. I think that is what happened with LuaLua yesterday that caused his tweet. If we'd signed a striker, we might have let him go on loan.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Is it just me that is VERY happy with the way the club is being run and thinking Bloom is spunking enough of his cash that I don't feel I can complain about anything?

No, not just you. A striker would have been nice, but every single club are after them, so getting one is one of the hardest things any club has to do, and probably pay over the odds. It's all very well saying pay oodles because when we reach the promised land we'll be loaded, but it really doesn't work like that. No complaints from me, the whingers are quite funny though.

Irish Gin

Oct 20, 2014
Brighton
So you thought it was worth starting a new thread to offer the same old complaints. Obviously Tony Bloom, Paul Barber, Chris Hughton and Paul Winstanley are aware that we need a new striker. However, you offer Gray and Kodija as examples but both were bought by clubs with parachute payments, as was Pritchard who we were apparently close to signing. You either need parachute payments to spend big or take a big gamble like Derby did with Vydra. Or did you want us to gamble £8 million on a player who scored 3 goals last season in this division?

As for Hemed, it's hardly debatable that a £1 million signing who scores 17 goals in their first season is a good signing. He may not have done quite as well this season yet but he's definitely a good signing.

As I said on so many similar threads yesterday, it is disappointing we didn't get a striker but some of the over reactions are ridiculous. To suggest that they weren't chasing a striker up to the last chance yesterday is ridiculous. It's some of our so called fans who need to wake up, not Tony Bloom.

Yes I would have taken a gamble on Vydra, he would have fitted in brilliantly into our squad and would have worked with Glenn well. Just because they had a poor season last year, does not make them a bad player. Also I would have taken a gamble on Wells.

In regards to Hemed, yes he did score a good amount of goals last season. However, with the service we now provide - so could I. Ulloa would have scored 30 last season and I still think than Tomar is not quite up to the pace of the division.

If we a serious contenders, we have to start taking gambles like other clubs. I don't like it as much as anyone else - but the division is insane now with greed - and unfortunately we have to join in.

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
Very, very harsh on Hemed. He scored a few penalties, that is true, but he still had a decent return for his first season in English football without them. And, given our penalty issues in recent years, I'm surprised any Brighton fan is so dismissive of a player scoring them.

Don't see it as being harsh on Hemed, just comparing his goalscoring records to other Championship top scorers. Of course I value Hemed's contribution and attitude and work rate etc but from what I have seen there are quite a few championship strikers I would prefer to Hemed. I admit Hemed could be one of the best strikers value wise (transfer fees, weekly wages etc per goal) but I would really have liked to see him score more from open play (plus he only had one goal between 9/19/15 and 1/23/16 - that is 1 goal in 20 matches) so we had to rely heavily on old Zamora and well, Baldock.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
At the start of the transfer window I would have snapped your hand off, to go in to September having retained ALL of our big players from last season

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
No.

I'm really disappointed we didn't get another striker, but I'm disappointed for Mr Bloom as much as I am for myself. I'm constantly grateful for what he has done and is doing for our club. I am a complete licker.

Spot on.... people have short memories just look at how the club has grown in the last 5 years... yes we have been in division 1 and the loser in a cup final but we have also escaped dropping from the league and of course had no ground for many years.

I would rather us be a rock solid championship club rather than have a couple of years in the PL and then fall flat on our face. So unless someone is prepared to chip in the odd 10 million then either shut up or get off the ride.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Spot on.... people have short memories just look at how the club has grown in the last 5 years... yes we have been in division 1 and the loser in a cup final but we have also escaped dropping from the league and of course had no ground for many years.

I would rather us be a rock solid championship club rather than have a couple of years in the PL and then fall flat on our face. So unless someone is prepared to chip in the odd 10 million then either shut up or get off the ride.

The real problem is that being a rock solid championship club costs Tony 18 million a year. How long will he fund this ongoing loss ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If we get to the PL then Sky will chip in a damn sight more than the odd £10 million!

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Yes I would have taken a gamble on Vydra, he would have fitted in brilliantly into our squad and would have worked with Glenn well. Just because they had a poor season last year, does not make them a bad player. Also I would have taken a gamble on Wells.

In regards to Hemed, yes he did score a good amount of goals last season. However, with the service we now provide - so could I. Ulloa would have scored 30 last season and I still think than Tomar is not quite up to the pace of the division.

If we a serious contenders, we have to start taking gambles like other clubs. I don't like it as much as anyone else - but the division is insane now with greed - and unfortunately we have to join in.

Spot on in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here