The Streets

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I guess I'm probably in the minority here but I find their songs rubbish. OK the Dry Your Eyes one was OK, but as a novelty record.

Heard their new one on Radio 1 this morning and thought it sounded rubbish, he cant even talk in tune.

Are they one of those groups who sell a lot of records due to the "cool" factor, does peer pressure dictate that I must buy their record otherwise people wont like me.

Maybe I'm just getting old

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Have liked all his stuff so far but the new one is utter gash.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
There are a few good songs off the new album, I havent heard them all, but as per he has released probably the most commercial of the tracks first.

Fake Streets Hats is a nice dark, but quite funny track, I think personally the album (from the bits I have heard) is better than the last, certainly a lot more positive like Original Pirate Material was.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
gazwag said:
I guess I'm probably in the minority here but I find their songs rubbish. OK the Dry Your Eyes one was OK, but as a novelty record.

Heard their new one on Radio 1 this morning and thought it sounded rubbish, he cant even talk in tune.

Are they one of those groups who sell a lot of records due to the "cool" factor, does peer pressure dictate that I must buy their record otherwise people wont like me.

Agree with that, all my mates love it but as far as i'm concerned its total bollox! Original lyrics but it's nursery rhyme style poetry... music it ain't! :nono: :nono: :nono:

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Re: Re: The Streets

Skint Gull said:
Agree with that, all my mates love it but as far as i'm concerned its total bollox! Original lyrics but it's nursery rhyme style poetry... music it ain't! :nono: :nono: :nono:

but it seems to have made him a millionairre so i doubt he will really give a flying fuick if people thin,k its kiddie stuff. just check out his tours - the venues are rammed!!:D

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Re: Re: Re: The Streets

Brighton till i die said:
but it seems to have made him a millionairre so i doubt he will really give a flying fuick if people thin,k its kiddie stuff. just check out his tours - the venues are rammed!!:D

Which is what I'm getting at, have they been fortunate to do something new that is cool to have in your record collection rather than actually having it because you like it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I like it though at first it was because it was refreshing. Original Pirate materials was an outstanding debut album and the follow up was class but in a different way. I hope he can keep it up for this new album but I do think at one point he'll run out of things to write about. I suupose that's the point where he starts to concentrate on his beats again.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Musically the songs are quite clever but lyrically some of them sound like a child has written them. I listened to Original Pirate material the other day and the quality of the lyrics on that album are vastly better than anything he released since, with the possible exception of blinded buu the lights, It's almost as if they were written by someone else

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't think the lyrics are meant to be clever in any way but to say they sound like e child has written them just isn't true. Can you name a band around now that does write 'clever' lyrics.

TONY

Jul 27, 2004
HANTS
Weak become Heros is an excellent track that encapsulates what is was like to be a part of Dance culture. OPM was a great Debut and GDCFF was slightly more a concept album, not heard any of the new album yet but i did think the new song was poor.
IMHO!

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I don't think the lyrics are meant to be clever in any way but to say they sound like e child has written them just isn't true.

I agree. They sound like an adolescent has written them.

I could put up with this, were it not for his records being musically bereft.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
i think they are clever - basic and nearly all of them people can relate to. blinded by the lights is f***ing banging and spot on.......i would imagine! :angel:

The fact is he's just an everyday geezer chatting about stuff geezers do, which is easier to relate to than 50 cent rapping about popping a cap in a mother fuckers arse!!:D

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
gazwag said:

Anyone with a brummie accent is gonna sound thick as shit. Consequently he sounds thick as shit.....

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Brighton till i die said:
The fact is he's just an everyday geezer chatting about stuff geezers do, which is easier to relate to than 50 cent rapping about popping a cap in a mother fuckers arse!!:D

Yeah, I agree. But its not like he's the only one doing that. He's just the only one that the media have chosen to exploit, and there's far better if you look for it.

WATFORD O said:
Anyone with a brummie accent is gonna sound thick as shit. Consequently he sounds thick as shit.....

If he rapped in his own accent then he might have a bit more credibility. Unfortunately him and Jamie Oliver have the Mockney accent down to a tee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports