Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stranglers tonight

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Stranglers - The Dome - 9/3/10 - The Review

This was one of the greatest concerts of all time.

I was wondering if they still had it. Well f*** me they do.

It was a superlatively show. Far better than anyone could have hoped or imagined. The lead singer who took over from Cornwall was more than an adequate replacment. In fact he is in many ways better than Cornwall for vocals and guitar musicianship. Jean Jacques Burnel at 58 prowled the stage like a caged Tiger with his trademark thumping bass. A very under rated Bass player. Greenfield was on top form and is one of the greatest keyboard players of his and any generation. Jet Black on Drums at 71 was perfection as well.

The set was 110 minutes long with a mixture of their greatest recebt work and all the family favourites like Nice and Sleazy, Something better change, Walk on By, Skin Deep, there always the sun, Duchess, Hanging around. Down in the sewer and finishing off with no more heroes.

These guys are superlative musicans and the whole set was tighter than ducks arse without a dropped note.

It was one of the best concerts I have ever had the priviledge to witness and was right up there in the top 5 of any concert I have been to in 30 years.

Absolutely f***ing amazing.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Did they do "Five minutes"

Tthe best stranglers song ever!

yes they did in the Encore

Having seen the stranglers in the 70s & 80s I was disappointed the last time I saw them ..but not tonight ..as Gareth says it was top draw ...Mr Greenfields keyboard work was worth the ticket money alone !!:thumbsup::love:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Having seen the stranglers in the 70s & 80s I was disappointed the last time I saw them ..but not tonight ..as Gareth says it was top draw ...Mr Greenfields keyboard work was worth the ticket money alone !!:thumbsup::love:

I saw them 5-6 times then too and they were always brilliant for me, When they played down the Top rank and did Five Mins it was the best dance, pogo, riot I ever was involved in there. Even beat the ramones gig I went to

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
In fact he is in many ways better than Cornwall for vocals and guitar musicianship.

Maybe, but for me the Stranglers died when he left.In a similar way that the Undertones did after Fergal departed.

He's playing Rattus and his new cd Hooverdam down here in May which sounds like a better option to me..

For the record it's Cornwell, not an area in the west country !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sounds good. Just for context - can you list the other concerts you have seen in the last 2 years please.

Seen around 100 concerts I wuld guess. This was in the top 5. I would rather hear from someone who went to see what they thought.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

This was a dream come true to witness the greatest ever keyboard player on top form even drinking a pint with one hand whilst rippling the boards with the other. Sublime.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
well i went and although I sat in the stalls as I am an old git, it was excellent. The Cornwell replacement was so good I forgot that Hugh was not there......cant say top 5 concerts that I have ever seen as I am one of the lucky ones who has seen Led Zep, Hendrix, Beach Boys, Neil Young,The Who, the Clash, Free, Bay City Rollers, yeap true.......but it was a good concert

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Go to HMV and track down Rattus Norvegicus made in 1976 which is the greatest debut album of all time imo. This album I can guarantee will make an impression on you.

Have to agree; classic album, which I still play regularly today.

Listening to/watching the karate-kicking-on-stage-while-playing Jean-Jacques Burnel inspired me to learn bass guitar when I was younger; whereas most bassists just stand at the back playing the same notes as the rhythm guitarist, JJB played the bass as the lead instrument (and inspired the other criminally under-rated bassist, Pete Hook of New Order). The bass-playing at the end of Down in the Sewer (my all-time joint favourite track ever, along with Led Zep's 'Kashmir') still thrills and amazes me today.

I remember seeing The Stranglers at the Brighton Top Rank on the 'No More Heroes' tour in autumn 1977; when the lights went down for them to come on, a load of Hell's Angels appeared and sat at the front of the stage; we all thought they were going to beat the band up for being 'punks', but they were actually friends (from Amsterdam) of the band at the time, who JJB had invited to the gig.

Happy days!

Mind you, Hugh Cornwell left the band at the right time; the last two albums with the original line-up were dreadful: 'Dreamtime' and '10' - embarrassingly awful.

punk::guitar:punk::guitar:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I played Rattus Norvegicus on a loop in my bedroom in 1977. I must have played the album 500 times at least and Down in the Sewer was my favourite ver track. To witness it being performed note perfect and Greenfield's keyboard playing was a moment that I will remember for always. I suppose if you have followed a band man and boy for 33 years and the witness something as special as last night you can relate.

Oct 2, 2008
Have to agree; classic album, which I still play regularly today.

Listening to/watching the karate-kicking-on-stage-while-playing Jean-Jacques Burnel inspired me to learn bass guitar when I was younger; whereas most bassists just stand at the back playing the same notes as the rhythm guitarist, JJB played the bass as the lead instrument (and inspired the other criminally under-rated bassist, Pete Hook of New Order). The bass-playing at the end of Down in the Sewer (my all-time joint favourite track ever, along with Led Zep's 'Kashmir') still thrills and amazes me today.

I remember seeing The Stranglers at the Brighton Top Rank on the 'No More Heroes' tour in autumn 1977; when the lights went down for them to come on, a load of Hell's Angels appeared and sat at the front of the stage; we all thought they were going to beat the band up for being 'punks', but they were actually friends (from Amsterdam) of the band at the time, who JJB had invited to the gig.

Happy days!

Mind you, Hugh Cornwell left the band at the right time; the last two albums with the original line-up were dreadful: 'Dreamtime' and '10' - embarrassingly awful.

punk::guitar:punk::guitar:

Great gig. Supported by The Dictators I seem to remember.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Great gig. Supported by The Dictators I seem to remember.

Indeed! They were good too. Singer was called 'Handsome Dick Manatoba', I seem to recall.

Bought their 'Search and Destroy' album after seeing them at this gig, and still play it occasionally.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I was trying to think of something negative to say about the Stranglers gig last night and I can't ... it really was that good! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here