Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The show your appreciation thread - KIT NAPIER.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
No, he's not dead (I hope), but it's close season, cold & wet & I'm bored so let's have some memories (and pics?) of this Albion legend.

Kit (real name Chris) was a classy forward. tall & lean, not so good in the air but tremendous skill with both feet. I've seen him score direct from corners with both his left and right foot.

He joined us in about 1967 and left in '72, played centre forward, on both wings and had the odd game in midfield where he was able to pinpoint a long pass, but his main talent was goalscoring and he managed to break the post war goalscoring record and held that until Peter Ward came along.

I remember him heading his 100th league goal against Shrewsbury and the Shrews centre back was Jim Holton, soon to be signed by Man Utd. i also remember a hat-trick against Bristol Rovers where he gave their centre back the run around. That was Larry Lloyd, who signed for Liverpool soon after and was a rock in Shankly's team.

Kit also scored just about the most unusual goal i've seen, against Chesterfield. Their keeper gathered the ball under a melee and thought the ref had awarded a free kick, so he placed the ball down and walked back into his net to get a run-up. Napier nipped in to tap the ball over the line. The ref had not blown, there had been no foul and the goal stood!

Napier was one of four senior players let go by Saward after the 71-72 promotion and he went off to Blackburn. I still feel releasing the two Napiers, Dave Turner & Stewart Henderson was Saward's undoing as Albion went straight back down.

Kit Napier was flair some (Severnside) carry an early picture on their avatar but it's the smooth dark hair and neatly trimmed beared or the droopy 'tach which was so 60's & early 70's. He could be frustrating. a bit like Murray, and rarely got himself dirty but he could do some great things with a football.

:clap:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Among the many I will always remember was a goal scored from tight on the touch line under the west stand into the top far corner of the goal at the south stand end - the goalkeeper couldn't believe it. The delayed reaction of the crowd wad similar to that free kick - took a few seconds for it to sink in. You are right I think that we let him go at least a season too soon.

I remember Kit had the most nicotine stained fingers I have ever seen - no wonder he didn't "put himself about" he must have been out of breath from smoking so much most of the time!

Great player and a real hero in the Boys' Own style. Never refused an autograph.

Last I heard he was living in South Africa.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It was strange that we had two Napiers at the time. One wasn't really called Kit and the other wasn't really called John.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Golden oldies must all be snoozing in their armchairs!

Goddamn,you've woken me up !

Napier.K. was the player we now crave : goals,flair,entertainment.And I've not seen a stranger goal than the one v Chesterfield.Had someone blown a whistle in the crowd ? Had the goalkeeper suddenly developed tinnitus or stupidity.It was a goal few would have scored,but the impish Kit was there to take advantage.And,yes,I think Pat Saward was a bit impetuous with his team deconstruction and reconstruction.We had a good,strong,compact team.......and then we didn't.But I did see us win at Huddersfield,our only away win in 72/3,and the 2-2 at Swindon where we scored two early goals and hit the post before being pegged back.And lots of losses,really.

But back to Kit.If he was a young man with us now,he would be a legend,a certainty for Albions team of all time.As it is,it's mostly just the golden oldies who hear his name and sigh.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
That has woken me up! Top player, a real entertainer. Scored some great goals, including the one from near the corner flag and that one against Chesterfield. The goalkeeper was Alan Stevenson, who later played in the old First Division. Oh well, back to sleep - some be cocoa time!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
He played in the first team I saw under Pat Sayward. Napier isn't exactly a popular name but we had 2 Napiers in the first team and they weren't related!

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
I think I saw him in the Hangleton area about 10 years ago.As mentioned above he was always a popular player and not built like the stereotypical centre forward of his era and before such as Bobby Smith,Alex Dawson and Alan Gilliver.

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
a true albion legend-funny, i used to watch the Albion from the chicken run about that time,but its only recently that I found out that Kit and John werent brothers!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
No, he's not dead (I hope), but it's close season, cold & wet & I'm bored so let's have some memories (and pics?) of this Albion legend.

Kit (real name Chris) was a classy forward. tall & lean, not so good in the air but tremendous skill with both feet. I've seen him score direct from corners with both his left and right foot.

He joined us in about 1967 and left in '72, played centre forward, on both wings and had the odd game in midfield where he was able to pinpoint a long pass, but his main talent was goalscoring and he managed to break the post war goalscoring record and held that until Peter Ward came along.

I remember him heading his 100th league goal against Shrewsbury and the Shrews centre back was Jim Holton, soon to be signed by Man Utd. i also remember a hat-trick against Bristol Rovers where he gave their centre back the run around. That was Larry Lloyd, who signed for Liverpool soon after and was a rock in Shankly's team.

Kit also scored just about the most unusual goal i've seen, against Chesterfield. Their keeper gathered the ball under a melee and thought the ref had awarded a free kick, so he placed the ball down and walked back into his net to get a run-up. Napier nipped in to tap the ball over the line. The ref had not blown, there had been no foul and the goal stood!

Napier was one of four senior players let go by Saward after the 71-72 promotion and he went off to Blackburn. I still feel releasing the two Napiers, Dave Turner & Stewart Henderson was Saward's undoing as Albion went straight back down.

Kit Napier was flair some (Severnside) carry an early picture on their avatar but it's the smooth dark hair and neatly trimmed beared or the droopy 'tach which was so 60's & early 70's. He could be frustrating. a bit like Murray, and rarely got himself dirty but he could do some great things with a football.

:clap:

a legend and my first footballing idol. i always stood at south stand end, as near to goal as i could right down front. i was there the day of the chesterfield goal, can still see it in my mind to this day. cracking player was kit

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I remembeer standing on the North West Terrace when he scored direct from a corner!

Falmerite

Jul 26, 2004
Burgess Hill
I remember the Chesterfield goal as well. If my memory is not playing tricks the other goal in that match was direct from a corner and I believe we won 2-1?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I remember the Chesterfield goal as well. If my memory is not playing tricks the other goal in that match was direct from a corner and I believe we won 2-1?

Not quite but the keeper, who went on to play at the top and, I think, also for Scotland (but we all know about Scottich keepers!) had a mare. for the 2nd goal he chased a ball out of his area out to his left touchline but was chased down so could only put it out.

Instead of a big boot into the east, he just nudged it out so was chasing back to goal as a quick throw was taken and Napier crossed for Willie Irvine to head into the north goal with the keeper making a desparate, but hopeless, dive to get back in goal.

if HINEY is looking in, I know you have scanned programmes from this era so maybe you can did out some action shots of our hero?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
That's where my 'name' comes from. Kit Napiers Corners.
He was always trying to score directly from them.
Maybe I saw him do it once.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here