Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The "Season Ticket Renewals 2021/22" thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think you are wrong, at least in the short term. There were id checks for both the home games this season and I think it will continue for the immediate future.

That was for 2000 fans with loads of Covid restrictions though. Can’t see it for 30,000 mostly turning up to the turnstiles between 2-45 and 3pm. The queue to get through the turnstiles would be insane.

Don’t hold me to it though; I’m not presenting this as fact. It’s just from the experience we had as away fans back in 2017 being told that we’d need ID for every game and never having been asked to show it or ever seen anyone asked.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Are they thinking that I can get out my phone as I prepare to enter and I'll get a fast enough data connection to display the currently acceptable barcode when I reach the barrier?
Think I may have to claim I don't have a smartphone

There has been a perfectly decent wi-fi connection available at the Amex for several years.
It will be chaos if that ever falls over, though...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There has been a perfectly decent wi-fi connection available at the Amex for several years.
It will be chaos if that ever falls over, though...

I'm not sure it does require a data connection, does it? I thought that sort of thing worked using an algorithm based on the time on your phone, which is updated automatically.

The Wifi generally works, but it's not perfect when it's under high demand, and if you've got 30,000 smart phones using it to constantly update their tickets every 20s then I imagine that could cause it to fall over.

Edit: Where is the info about season tickets becoming electronic anyway? I couldn't see it anywhere and would've thought that such a significant change of policy would be quite prominent.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
That was for 2000 fans with loads of Covid restrictions though. Can’t see it for 30,000 mostly turning up to the turnstiles between 2-45 and 3pm. The queue to get through the turnstiles would be insane.

Don’t hold me to it though; I’m not presenting this as fact. It’s just from the experience we had as away fans back in 2017 being told that we’d need ID for every game and never having been asked to show it or ever seen anyone asked.

The ID checks this season were done by stewards about 10 metres before the turnstiles as people funnelled into a corridor created by railings. If you didn't have your ID ready for inspection they asked you to stand aside until you had it available for inspection.
Even with much higher numbers I think it will work fine, admittedly they may need a few more corridors/lines.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The ID checks this season were done by stewards about 10 metres before the turnstiles as people funnelled into a corridor created by railings. If you didn't have your ID ready for inspection they asked you to stand aside until you had it available for inspection.
Even with much higher numbers I think it will work fine, admittedly they may need a few more corridors/lines.

Yep, it'll work (more cost for the club though as a load more stewards needed for the ID pre-check). I can't see the Govnt not insisting on ID checks for track and trace, at least for a while. It'll be a condition of a return to full capacity, so the club won't have a choice other than to ID check. Only time I've been checked were the limited-entry Covid games, and Palace away.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I didn’t need to use my ID for the Sheffield United game :thumbsup:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The "Season Ticket Renewals 2021/22" thread

I'm not sure it does require a data connection, does it? I thought that sort of thing worked using an algorithm based on the time on your phone, which is updated automatically.

The Wifi generally works, but it's not perfect when it's under high demand, and if you've got 30,000 smart phones using it to constantly update their tickets every 20s then I imagine that could cause it to fall over.

Edit: Where is the info about season tickets becoming electronic anyway? I couldn't see it anywhere and would've thought that such a significant change of policy would be quite prominent.

It is in the FAQs (Under “My seat number has changed will I get a new card”.) I cut and pasted the answer above.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Will the club accept photographic ID on your phone using an app like ‘YOTI’

I don’t want to have to bring my driving licence to the game if I can possibly help it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'm sure it has been this season as no-one's there!

But before that it was very random and not available more often than not. I do hope they overhaul the wifi because of these innovations require a decent service

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Does someone need to take responsibility for ensuring each page in this thread has a post that a smartphone doesn’t need WiFi or a mobile signal to operate the ticket scanner. :thumbsup:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It all seems fair by the club all things considered.
Only 2 issues I have is why do we have to show photo ID?we are ST holders not palace fans.
And I don't want to take a smart phone with me to the match so will I still be able to use my season ticket card?
I am not a fan of digital ID or digital tickets but if the club want to provide that service it's ok but I hope they still do the season ticket cards for ordinary folk.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
It would be a lot less hassle if the club made match day tickets more reasonable to buy so people were less desperate to get a season ticket.

Leave the season tickets for people that will go to every game, as is their purpose, then use the priority/loyalty system to allocate the remainder.

Not at £50-£60 a pop though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It all seems fair by the club all things considered.
Only 2 issues I have is why do we have to show photo ID?we are ST holders not palace fans.
And I don't want to take a smart phone with me to the match so will I still be able to use my season ticket card?
I am not a fan of digital ID or digital tickets but if the club want to provide that service it's ok but I hope they still do the season ticket cards for ordinary folk.

......because you might pass/sell your ST on to someone else. I also suspect the Covid requirements will require the club to ensure the attendee is the person named on the ticket (track and trace).

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
What happens for my two boys who are U10's and don't have their own smartphone (not for want of trying!), assume I can store their tickets and just scan them in on my phone?

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
What happens for my two boys who are U10's and don't have their own smartphone (not for want of trying!), assume I can store their tickets and just scan them in on my phone?

I was able to store mine and my son's tickets in my phone wallet. I went through the barrier, then tapped the phone again to let my son through.

Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
Why can't we move seats? My father in law was on the waiting list and finally/typically got an ST at the end of last season. He is sat a row in front and a few seats along which is ok but not ideal. Wouldn't mind shifting both our seats if necessary so we can sit together - but it is saying the move window isn't available...

The move window normally opens after the closing date for renewals. That way, the club know who is not renewing and therefore offer those seats to people who want to move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here