Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Seagull File - 1987/88

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bless him. I hope he succeeded in the 'happy and healthy life' part.

#Yes,ToTanya

#RagingBull

The only thing these Q&As are missing is the current favourite: "Funniest team mate". To which the answer is always the resident Oatway character, followed by evidence of the hilarious banter beloved of said character. "This one time, he cut the sleeves off X's brand new designer suit! We were literally in STITCHES!" Or the unforgettable Deep Heat-underpants gag. Arf.

#LindaLusardi

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Gary Nelson's NINE O levels and three A levels certainly stand out, especially in that era

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only thing these Q&As are missing is the current favourite: "Funniest team mate". To which the answer is always the resident Oatway character, followed by evidence of the hilarious banter beloved of said character. "This one time, he cut the sleeves off X's brand new designer suit! We were literally in STITCHES!" Or the unforgettable Deep Heat-underpants gag. Arf.

#LindaLusardi

At my in-law's house there is a big stack of Shoot magazines from the early 80s, that my WIFE collected as a girl. There are some tremendous examples of the Q&A art, in those.

#MyMum'sSundayRoast

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At my in-law's house there is a big stack of Shoot magazines from the early 80s, that my WIFE collected as a girl. There are some tremenduous examples of the Q&A art, in those.

#MyMum'sSundayRoast

#SamanthaFox

#Jacket&Jeans

#Majorca

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
#ProbablyABricklayerOrPETeacher

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Number 6 - Alan Curbishley

#lagerandlime
#crocodiledundee

xrai.jpg

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Anyone who names "watching TV" as one of their hobbies is struggling really aren't they?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Whoever was putting that stuff together - and I take my hat off to them, the interviews must have been torture at times - wasn't maybe a big music fan. Alan Curbishley's beloved "Steeley Dan", "Grosvenor Washington" - if the latter had been mentioned by any other player than Gary Nelson, I'd suspect they'd be basing that solely on GROVER Washington Jnr's smooth sell-out "Just The Two Of Us", rather than his earlier much funkier but less commercial output.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whoever was putting that stuff together - and I take my hat off to them, the interviews must have been torture at times - wasn't maybe a big music fan. Alan Curbishley's beloved "Steeley Dan", "Grosvenor Washington" - if the latter had been mentioned by any other player than Gary Nelson, I'd suspect they'd be basing that solely on GROVER Washington Jnr's smooth sell-out "Just The Two Of Us", rather than his earlier much funkier but less commercial output.

Phil Collins & Dire Straits were an absolute staple of these questionnaires. Must have appeared in at least 50% of them.

But generally it's as though the players were instructed to be as dull as possible. Which is funny now.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Because I'm SPECTACULARLY sad, I will put together a definitive '1987/88 Albion Player Playlist' based on the whole season's answers.

It should make interesting* reading

*really boring

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Because I'm SPECTACULARLY sad, I will put together a definitive '1987/88 Albion Player Playlist' based on the whole season's answers.

*really boring

That's what makes them funny to read though. Fill your boots. I love that sort of stuff.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

*really boring

Do it*

*please don't bother burning me a copy of the CD.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The 2014 version...

Age?

What car do your drive?

"White Bentley Continental GT"

Food?

"Nandos"

Biggest influence on career?

"My agent and my lawyer"

Music?

"Drake"...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The 2014 version...

Age?

What car do your drive?

"White Bentley Continental GT"

Food?

"Nandos"

Biggest influence on career?

"My agent and my lawyer"

Music?

"Drake"...

#Dubai

#LasVegas

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

*really boring

Boring? That is GENIUS.

Talking of genius, I'm curious as to when George Benson started predominating in these lists - I assume that was earlier in the 80s, soon after his seminal Give Me The Night.

Anyway, yes - a list and then followed with a compilation CD "Now That's What I Call 80s Second Division Footballer's Music" - I would buy that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here