Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The seafront Nightclubs...

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
It's a shame that it's fallen so far from the days of the Zap, Honey, Beach and Funky Buddah but that's just the way things go,nothing lasts forever.

Brighton has been a haven for cheese and crap music for a long time now, with the odd few notable exceptions. There's probably no single reason for it, the rave scene is just a bit weak over here at the moment which is wierd seeing as it's been blowing up everywhere else in the world for a few years now.

Most of the decent music orientated clubs in London have their numbers boosted by Italians and Spanish where the dance scene is still going strong, but even London has lost some of it's best venues in the last few years. It doesn't help that kids these days are totally lame.

All that said, Audio was quality on Saturday night, absolutely rammed and James Zabelia smashed it :thumbsup:

When going out in London a number of years ago i used to really like The End. Shame it closed down. Apparently on the final night they re-named it The Very End*. Fabric was ok as well. Haven't been there for yonks mind. That Egg place was a bit hit and miss. The Cable club has gone as well. That was a promising venue. A pity that.

*not true.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
When going out in London a number of years ago i used to really like The End. Shame it closed down. Apparently on the final night they re-named it The Very End*. Fabric was ok as well. Haven't been there for yonks mind. That Egg place was a bit hit and miss. The Cable club has gone as well. That was a promising venue. A pity that.

*not true.

The End was a quality club, used to love the DJ right in the middle, Cable good also. I love going to Fire now which is another arches style club in Vauxhall and saw a Metalheadz night there earlier in the year which was off the scale, days to recover from that one!

Jul 7, 2003
Is Sherry's dance hall / discotheque still open for a quick boogie?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If anyone is up for a Sunday afternoon disco, there is one at the Branch Tavern, London Road, opposite Richer Sounds from 2 to 7 every other weekend.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
What's happened to the Pav Tav? Once a bastion of indieness. They played Five, Backstreet Boys and One Direction on a Saturday when I went there a month ago.

:ffsparr: That makes me sad. In my younger wilder days it was The Zap on a Wednesday for Chooper Choons (if my memory is right, maybe, maybe not). Thursday was Mad 4 It at The Pav Tav. Friday and Saturday was the Zap, Beach or Honey. Sunday night was always a good laugh in the Honey Club.

Last edited:

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
It was Zap, Honey, Beach, PoNaNa, Event 2, Paradox/ Creation, Funky Buddha when I was younger and also the Toad, Smugglers, PavTav and the one at the bottom of East Street that served anyone, regardless of age. Most recently called The Mariner.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Glad someone mentioned Volks. One place you certainly can't accuse of selling out. Some great dnb nights had in there - especially back in days of Gramps HiFi sound system. BOOOOOM
Only audio and concorde have really been worth going to for a long time.oh and the volks.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is Sherry's dance hall / discotheque still open for a quick boogie?

The Brighton scene has been going downhill ever since Sherry's closed. First club i ever went to :(

Does anyone remember a place under the arches roughly between West St & Palace Pier that was open late but you had to have sausage and chips to eat to get round the licensing laws ?

Are you thinking of the Heart in Hand at the bottom of East Street where the late night bar was in arches which went under Kings road ? It had been one of Brighton's most famous gay bars until a couple of years before

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

*not true.

The End was great. Did you ever go to The Cross? Loved that place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There seems to be a bit of a shift to London Road these days. I wonder if anyone will start something up in this part of town? Maybe someone will finally make a good club out of The Ocean Rooms or whatever it is called these days? Do they still have club nights at Concorde2? I've had some corking club nights there in the past and the crowd was always good and bang up for it.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
There seems to be a bit of a shift to London Road these days. I wonder if anyone will start something up in this part of town? Maybe someone will finally make a good club out of The Ocean Rooms or whatever it is called these days? Do they still have club nights at Concorde2? I've had some corking club nights there in the past and the crowd was always good and bang up for it.

Been to a few there recently, very good to be honest, if your in to D&B they seem to have something every couple of weeks although they tend to finish at 4 which is a little too early for my liking! Got to remember there are a fair few D&B DJs around the area, Shogun based in Brighton and a few others around Lewes Hastings etc.

By the way the end of Ram (Andy C) at the End, cannot believe I missed this as was living up north at the time :

Andy C was still playing D&B at the time and not poppy rubbish for the kids that love EDM

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The End was great. Did you ever go to The Cross? Loved that place.

I recall The Cross. All i remember about that particular night was it was a mission to get to the venue on foot. As previously mentioned on this thread the Concorde 2 has always been pretty consistent. Used to frequent Devotion occasionally, which was decent. Another mission to get to but worth it. There was this older bloke dancing near the stage one night/morning off his tree trying to hug everyone. As there were always a few lairy youths in this area one took except to him and started smashing him in the face. Probably not the kind of night you should be showing the love. Especially to complete strangers with attitude :kiss:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

*not true.

The End was a quality club, used to love the DJ right in the middle, Cable good also. I love going to Fire now which is another arches style club in Vauxhall and saw a Metalheadz night there earlier in the year which was off the scale, days to recover from that one!

Cable and Hidden went recently. Before that The End, The Cross, Turnmills. Rumors that MoS are crapping themselves about some luxury flats being built opposite, any noise complaints might see them shut down.

Cable was a brilliant club and I'm gutted I didn't discover it earlier, the sound in the main room was awesome and the balcony bar was great for buzzing round and talking to people. Security there were spot on as well. I actually hate Fire, mabye I've been unlucky but I've never had a really good night there, security a moody and itching to kick people's heads in and it's always been full of oddballs. I've been going to corsica studios, some very good underground line-ups recently.

Thank f**k for Fabric, nothing else in London beats room2 IMHO. Next trip in 30 days :thumbsup:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Cable and Hidden went recently. Before that The End, The Cross, Turnmills. Rumors that MoS are crapping themselves about some luxury flats being built opposite, any noise complaints might see them shut down.

Cable was a brilliant club and I'm gutted I didn't discover it earlier, the sound in the main room was awesome and the balcony bar was great for buzzing round and talking to people. Security there were spot on as well. I actually hate Fire, mabye I've been unlucky but I've never had a really good night there, security a moody and itching to kick people's heads in and it's always been full of oddballs. I've been going to corsica studios, some very good underground line-ups recently.

Thank f**k for Fabric, nothing else in London beats room2 IMHO. Next trip in 30 days :thumbsup:

Got to say that security was one of the reasons that I really like fire - the nights I have been to there have been aimed at shall I say the more sophisticated DnB heads and not the poppy kids, meaning that there has been a good atmosphere, little agro and the bouncers have just sat back!

That MOS thing has been around for years and has to date not had an effect although I agree to is a small cloud hanging over them! Not been there for a while as the music there is not the top of my list, even though I have enjoyed my nights there as I get old I have to pick and choose wisely meaning it is really DnB I stick to now and not really more often then every other month.

Hoping to get up to Fabric again soon, been time since I was last there

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Got to say that security was one of the reasons that I really like fire - the nights I have been to there have been aimed at shall I say the more sophisticated DnB heads and not the poppy kids, meaning that there has been a good atmosphere, little agro and the bouncers have just sat back!

That MOS thing has been around for years and has to date not had an effect although I agree to is a small cloud hanging over them! Not been there for a while as the music there is not the top of my list, even though I have enjoyed my nights there as I get old I have to pick and choose wisely meaning it is really DnB I stick to now and not really more often then every other month.

Hoping to get up to Fabric again soon, been time since I was last there

You old pillhead...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here