[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have received several calls abut claiming injuries from an accident I had last year. I smelt a rat.

Today I received this email:

Dear Customer
You may recall that xxxx was asked to contact you about mobility following your road traffic accident. To do this, we processed your details through our operating system.
We are writing to inform you that xxxx was recently the victim of a sophisticated cyber-attack on one of our external facing systems, in which your claim was accessed. Whilst we do not know whether your data was exported, the data contained in that system is as follows...

and the email goes on to say that if they need to contact me again they will use a code name to show they are genuine. ???

The email came from cyberteam@companyname-uk.com, where 'companyname' is the name of the insurance company.

I have looked this up and can't find anything....new scam or genuine email?

Having spent more than an hour today dealing with a separate attempt to defraud me, I don't have time to look into this one right now <sigh>

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It would seem to be National Scammers day given my mobile and home phone have been virtually ringing non stop today.

So far:

A courier missed me, and to click on link
Payment set up on new device, another link to click
Slow internet
National Insurance fraudulent use......

To counter this I'm thinking of ringing British Gas so I can stay in an unanswered queue for the afternoon.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Three phone calls today, all recorded messages along the lines of "This is the Mastercard and Visa department of your bank, a payment has been made for xxx...". Shame they didn't think to specify the name of the bank, as if it might be relevant.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I have received several calls abut claiming injuries from an accident I had last year. I smelt a rat.

Today I received this email:

Dear Customer
You may recall that xxxx was asked to contact you about mobility following your road traffic accident. To do this, we processed your details through our operating system.
We are writing to inform you that xxxx was recently the victim of a sophisticated cyber-attack on one of our external facing systems, in which your claim was accessed. Whilst we do not know whether your data was exported, the data contained in that system is as follows...

and the email goes on to say that if they need to contact me again they will use a code name to show they are genuine. ???

The email came from cyberteam@companyname-uk.com, where 'companyname' is the name of the insurance company.

I have looked this up and can't find anything....new scam or genuine email?

Having spent more than an hour today dealing with a separate attempt to defraud me, I don't have time to look into this one right now <sigh>

Harry, I had the same email about a no fault accident (car bumped into my car while I was parked)
It was AX insurance btw.
Looks genuine but if anyone contacts me asking for the password I will tell them to bugger off :moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry, I had the same email about a no fault accident (car bumped into my car while I was parked)
It was AX insurance btw.
Looks genuine but if anyone contacts me asking for the password I will tell them to bugger off :moo:

Yes, AX insurance. I have heard nothing since. The b'stards.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Weird, as I'm reading this thread I get a text purporting to be from HSBC saying a Mr Jones is trying to access my account and to click on a link to stop him.

Yes, you've guessed it. I have no HSBC account....

Jul 7, 2003
Got two calls today about my BT Internet Router (I've never had BT broadband). First guy got the air horn app fairly quickly. Second one I tried to ask if he would be happy if anyone was scamming his parents as someone else suggested but this guy just said he wasn't scamming and went on with his script so he got the air horn treatment as well.

Such a useful free app for these calls:lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Weird, as I'm reading this thread I get a text purporting to be from HSBC saying a Mr Jones is trying to access my account and to click on a link to stop him.

Yes, you've guessed it. I have no HSBC account....

Me too, I don’t even bank with them ffs.

15c2133e0276bcc74944b8824d39b275.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've just discovered how easy it is to get scammed (almost)
email from gov.uk and at first glance all looked well. Informing me by my name to apply for the self employed SEISS grant, of which I'm entitled. Everything on the email was perfect and so I clicked on the link without checking where it was going to. Luckily my AVG Security kicked in and stopped the site from opening.
I'm very very aware of security, 100 different passwords changed regularly, but I still nearly fell for this one.
ALWAYS CHECK WHERE AN EMAIL LINK IS TAKING YOU.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Wow! Just look at this little beauty of a scam email that has just hit my inbox. Very nasty with a malicious tone.

Hi!

Unfortunately, I have some bad news for you.
Several months ago, I got access to the device you are using to browse the internet.
Since that time, I have been monitoring your internet activity.

Being a regular visitor of adult websites, I can confirm that it is you who is responsible for this.
To keep it simple, the websites you visited provided me with access to your data.

I've uploaded a Trojan horse on the driver basis that updates its signature several times per day, to make it impossible for antivirus to detect it. Additionally, it gives me access to your camera and microphone.
Moreover, I have backed-up all the data, including photos, social media, chats and contacts.

Just recently, I came up with an awesome idea to create the video where you cum in one part of the screen, while the video was simultaneously playing on another screen. That was fun!

Rest assured that I can easily send this video to all your contacts with a few clicks, and I assume that you would like to prevent this scenario.

With that in mind, here is my proposal:
Transfer the amount equivalent to 1350 USD to my Bitcoin wallet, and I will forget about the entire thing. I will also delete all data and videos permanently.

In my opinion, this is a somewhat modest price for my work.
You can figure out how to purchase Bitcoins using search engines like Google or Bing, seeing that it's not very difficult.

My Bitcoin wallet (BTC): 17mCiJYeQHrHL9AfedmRXfNBVucUkoTPHS

You have 48 hours to reply and you should also bear the following in mind:

It makes no sense to reply me - the address has been generated automatically ID74523.
It makes no sense to complain either, since the letter along with my Bitcoin wallet cannot be tracked.
Everything has been orchestrated precisely.

If I ever detect that you mentioned anything about this letter to anyone - the video will be immediately shared, and your contacts will be the first to receive it. Following that, the video will be posted on the web!

P.S. The time will start once you open this letter. (This program has a built-in timer and special pixel ID - 49883

Good luck and take it easy! It was just bad luck, next time please be careful.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Wow! Just look at this little beauty of a scam email that has just hit my inbox. Very nasty with a malicious tone.

Hi!

Several months ago, I got access to the device you are using to browse the internet.

Being a regular visitor of adult websites, I can confirm that it is you who is responsible for this.
To keep it simple, the websites you visited provided me with access to your data.

I've uploaded a Trojan horse on the driver basis that updates its signature several times per day, to make it impossible for antivirus to detect it. Additionally, it gives me access to your camera and microphone.
Moreover, I have backed-up all the data, including photos, social media, chats and contacts.

Just recently, I came up with an awesome idea to create the video where you cum in one part of the screen, while the video was simultaneously playing on another screen. That was fun!

Rest assured that I can easily send this video to all your contacts with a few clicks, and I assume that you would like to prevent this scenario.

Transfer the amount equivalent to 1350 USD to my Bitcoin wallet, and I will forget about the entire thing. I will also delete all data and videos permanently.

You can figure out how to purchase Bitcoins using search engines like Google or Bing, seeing that it's not very difficult.

It makes no sense to reply me - the address has been generated automatically ID74523.
It makes no sense to complain either, since the letter along with my Bitcoin wallet cannot be tracked.

If I ever detect that you mentioned anything about this letter to anyone - the video will be immediately shared, and your contacts will be the first to receive it. Following that, the video will be posted on the web!

P.S. The time will start once you open this letter. (This program has a built-in timer and special pixel ID - 49883

That's one of the oldest online scams around. It's been floating around for a decade or more, probably longer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Hi!

Lol.

I've always wondered how they manage to get video from devices with no camera but they've seemed to reckon they have.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

Hi!

I think there was an episode of Dark Mirror which was based on this type of email - but this time it turned out to be true and the hacker did have the video from the webcam

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A couple of current scams as described on Eddie Mair’s LBC show in the last hour.

- Fraudsters buy (or take a contract to buy) a high value item such as mobile, using the scammer’s email address, victim’s postal address and victim’s bank/card details. The online retailer delivers it to the victim’s address using legit couriers, but the parcel’s path is monitored by the scammers as they’re receiving the progress emails/texts. Shortly afterwards a scammer physically calls at the victim’s address apologising for the error, purporting to be from the retailer or courier, to take back the item.

- Scammers use stolen/hacked card details to buy goods, in the normal fraudulent way. But then they double dip for more, calling the victim pretending to be from the card’s issuing bank, ‘breaking the news of the fraud’. They appear to be calling from the legit bank phone number after spoofing it (widely covered in the media in recent days). In ‘taking the person through security’, they glean the rest of the details required to empty the victim’s bank accounts. This scam plays on folk being surprised and worried about the financial effects of stage one.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just thought I would let you know that I may not be able to make the Manchester City home game on Tuesday as I failed to press 1 when HMRC rang me to advise that there was a fraud case against me, and as I failed to speak to a case handler a warrant is going to be issued in my name.

just had a call on my mobile (automated script). "Your National Insurance Number has been suspended due to suspicious activity - press one to speak to an agent to prevent an arrest warrant being issued!"

WTF !:wrong::shootself

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Have a few texts recently, I guess on the back of Brexit, from Royal Mail claiming an unpaid shipping fee of £2.99 is to be paid on a parcel and giving you a link to pay it.

Not having any parcels, looked into it, and link is a phishing website. Was from a personal phone number, with the number being searched and reported 300 times according to who-calls.me.uk. Number ends ********8431 has been searched routinely from Brighton. Stay clear.

Looks like they got some of them :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57226704

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just had a call to say my National Insurance number is about to be terminated. I allowed myself to be put through. I now need to go and wash my potty mouth out after the volley of abuse I hurled at the scammer who answered the phone.

I really quite shocked myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports